Canadian Men should go on strike until

Moosehead

"all true except we don't have a 15000 seat stadium."

Right, so get some beer and call the boys together, it'll be ready in no time!

Let Vancouver host the "B" team of domestics.

From now on the "A" team of overseas stars will play at the newly renovated "Codsucker Stadium!"

quote:Originally posted by canso

"The other two games with the majority of players flying in from Europe should have been in the east."

Ideally the Far East, as close to Europe as you can get, and it don't get no closer than St. John's, Nfld. who already have a 15,000 seat stadium and fook all else to do. Our boys would be guaranteed the best hospitality in the country (a nip of Screech cures most things, including jetlag)and the numbers of away fans are virtually nil. The climate would be a major adjustment to our friends in Central America, but compared to northern England, it's not muich different at all really, and it's only four time zones away!

Yeah, the only draw back is that it is so damned far from us western provinces. Still, if the Newfoundland government--along with the feds--helped improve the stadium capacity and loaned out one of the Fed's private planes, we could all fly out for the weekend. I'd love to go see a game in Newfoundland.

I think the issue of playing in the west is a red herring. I've never heard European based american players complaining about LA. The real issue here is that if you fail to take advantage of FIFA rules and have the players report 5 days ahead of the game, and instead allow them to play a Saturday or Sunday club game and report only 2-3 days ahead of the midweek WC Qualifier, then travel is an issue. Until the CSA behaves like a real football association, and exercises its rights, then we will always have problems with preparation and having players in their best game shape. I have no problem with working with Clubs for Friendlies, but WC is the holy Grail and shoul dbe treated as such.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I think the issue of playing in the west is a red herring. I've never heard European based american players complaining about LA. The real issue here is that if you fail to take advantage of FIFA rules and have the players report 5 days ahead of the game, and instead allow them to play a Saturday or Sunday club game and report only 2-3 days ahead of the midweek WC Qualifier, then travel is an issue. Until the CSA behaves like a real football association, and exercises its rights, then we will always have problems with preparation and having players in their best game shape. I have no problem with working with Clubs for Friendlies, but WC is the holy Grail and shoul dbe treated as such.

Like he said, only with a cherry on top!:)

The people who currently work and run in the CSA are not more important than the CSA itself. The only reason left to support any individuals in the CSA is if they are your friends or relatives witch inherently makes your support redundant.

To debate is over it was over years ago. You can pick selectively pro and con points on the CSA but the cons are overwhelming in the majority.

Its not too severe to ask for the removal of the entire CSA and a complete restructuring of how they operate and are fired or hired or elected. This is an absolute neccesity and must occur. The players striking is a reasonable step and as I said before most of the top players have already completely abandoned the CSA and all most all of them will this year. So it is happening naturally anyway.

I dont see any real way of removing the CSA but embarassing them at least allows them to feel what they have been dishing out to the Canadian soccer world for decades.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

The US has more domestic based players on their MNT. However, the biggest reason you don't hear any of their players complaining about playing World Cup qualifiers in LA or any other western city is that they played all of their games in the east. The furthest west they ventured in qualifying was Columbus, Ohio which is directly south of Windsor and only slightly further west than Toronto. In fact they only played twice this year outside of eastern USA, a friendly in California (west) and a friendly in Dallas (central). Even the game against minnow Grenada was played in Columbus. The other two WCQ games were played in Foxboro, Mass. and in Washington, D.C. This is their year's schedule.

Results

Date Opponent Result U.S. Scorers Location Attend.

Jan. 18 Denmark 1-1 T Landon Donovan Carson, Calif. 10,461

Feb. 18 Holland 0-1 L - Amsterdam, Holland 29,700

March 13 Haiti 1-1 T Dan Califf Miami, Fla. 8,714

March 31 Poland 1-0 W DaMarcus Beasley Plock, Poland 10,500

Apr. 28 Mexico 1-0 W Eddie Pope Dallas, Texas 45,048

June 2 Honduras 4-0 W McBride (2), Lewis, Sanneh Foxboro, Mass. 11,533

June 13 Grenada * 3-0 W Beasley (2), Vanney Columbus, Ohio 9,137

June 20 Grenada * 3-2 W Donovan, Wolff, Beasley St. George's, Grenada 15,267

July 11 Poland 1-1 T Bocanegra Chicago, Ill. 39,529

Aug. 18 Jamaica ^ 1-1 T Ching Kingston, Jamaica 27,000

Sept. 4 El Salvador^ 2-0 W Ching, Donovan Foxboro, Mass 25,266

Sept. 9 Panama City^ 1-1 T Jones Panama City, Panama 14,500

Oct. 10 El Salvador^ 2-0 W McBride, Johnson San Salvador, El Salvador 20,000

Oct. 13 Panama 6-0 W Donovan (2), Johnson (3),

Own Goal Washington, D.C. 19,793

11/17/2004 vs. Jamaica + at Columbus, Ohio

Thus, we see that a stronger side playing in a weaker group did not take the same risks as we did with player fitness and jet lag. Note that all of the games were not only in the east but in the northeast a climate more favourable to the US than a Florida climate that might benefit the central Americans. I have the suspicion that the western games had a lot to do with Yallop being based in Vancouver as there is no other justification. The east doesn't have a stadium to compare with Commonwealth but several options that can compare with Swangard. It is terrible if the coach is putting his own comfort ahead of that of the players. At any rate, the US seems not only to have a superior team to US but some superior people running their program.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Yup! that is what I have believed all along. The proof lies in the fact that Kingston was chosen for the Belize matches as a token jesture to counter any perception of regionalism. The players were already in North america when those matches were played, therefore travel would not even have been an issue as far as staging those matches at a western locale. They could have made it easier distance-wise, by scheduling one of the semifinal matches in Kingston since the players were already with their clubs in Europe.

The irony is, as far as attendance, Yallop and the CSA must have quite a bit of egg on their faces looking back on it. Against the most microscopic of minnows, the attendance for the first game surpassed all other attendance figures for all other home games for canada in WCQ. And, i'll bet that if you eliminate the foreigner supporters who bought tickets to WCQ games in canada, Kingston would stand one and two as far as largest attendance for soccer in WCQ this year. Yet, Kingston barely has a population of 130,000.

quote:Originally posted by Moosehead

changes are made at the top of Canadian Soccer including the replacement of Kevan Pipe and reorganization of the structure and Board of the CSA. I am very nationalistic Canadian, but I am not sure I would play for Canada and the CSA. It would not be a about money but not wanting to play for an organization where the passion wasn't there. An organization without drive and passion but just a very political and bureaucratic organization that would not do the utmost to try and promote my career and advancement to the world cup.

lets but the blame where it belongs please, with the players & the manager. The players are the ones who showed very little effort in the first game vs Guatemala, ok maybe they were taken by surprised by the quality of the guatemala team, but the home team showed be the one pumped and coming out firing not the visitors. the CSA with the lack of friendlies has to take some of the blame also,ok not too many countries want to play us and that can be a problem in arrainging

fixtures but we need them so CSA go find them.

Archived