DeRosario win MLS Goal of the year

The Coach

He could've been our best player if he wasn't played on the wings all qualifying. He really should've been playing up front next to Radz. They worked together well under Holger. With that said, it is hard to come up with the best player. I'd go with Atiba for his consistent play.

DeRo is certianly most effective when played up front. Unfortunatly our lack of depth in mid field ment him playing out of position. Funny how we have so manny good to decent fwds these days. just compare what we have now, compaired to the 2000 gold cup days.

quote:Originally posted by denis

Unfortunatly our lack of depth in mid field ment him playing out of position. Funny how we have so manny good to decent fwds these days. just compare what we have now, compaired to the 2000 gold cup days.

Maybe this is hair splitting, but i think the lack of depth on defence forced De Rosario into midfield. Atiba was forced into playing as a right back, creating an empty space in midfield, albeit in the centre. We had decent midfield talent in DeGuzman, Peters, Hume, Simpson, Atiba, Serioux and Grande to name some of the brighter lights.

Decent forwards? Radzinski was flat. Occean needs a bit more time and the versatile McKenna was injured. An Occean-DeRosario duo up front could be promising for the future.

Yea that’s why unproven a league players were called on, because of depth in the midfield. (Not to knock Grande, he was a surprise for the MNT who many did not realize was such quality). I really don’t belive yallop played DeRo and Hume on the wings because he felt this is where they played best. It’s because he had little other choice. Stalteri was suppended, he could have played left mid or more likely left wing left back. Then we have Hutchinson who could play mid but because Paul was out he had to play back. The only true proven midfielders left to he could rely on were Imhoff and DeGusman. Maybe he hoped that DeRo and Hume would be effective as attacking wingers, but that was not the case.

Hmmmm. All these decent forwards scored how many goals? Was Yallop waiting for Radzinski and Occean to start netting the somehow forseeable - but only to Yallop -'two goals apiece per game'? Is that why he didn't play Hume and De Rosario at the forward position? Hume wasn't bad on the wing, but De Rosario was a bit lost, boxing himself in corners with no exit strategy.

I will leave my opinion at bizarre coaching at times, lack of depth at the back 4, and an unsettled central midfield, that precipitated De Rosario on the wing.

I'm not going to say that Brennan would have got us into the Hex, but at least he would have been a proven pro on left wing, allowing DeRo to do his thing up front. Really he got 3 goals in the the semifinal round counting the (BS) disallowed goal in honduras, maybe he wouldve gotten 1 more if he had been a striker the whole time. oh well, gotta stop looking back...

quote:Originally posted by denis

I really don’t belive yallop played DeRo and Hume on the wings because he felt this is where they played best. It’s because he had little other choice. Stalteri was suppended, he could have played left mid or more likely left wing left back. Then we have Hutchinson who could play mid but because Paul was out he had to play back. The only true proven midfielders left to he could rely on were Imhoff and DeGusman. Maybe he hoped that DeRo and Hume would be effective as attacking wingers, but that was not the case.

Against Belieze, with Brennan on the bench, Yallop started DD and Hume on the wings. He was also using Stalteri as a right fullback. Basically, I don't buy the lack of depth in the midfield and remain flabbergasted that Yallop felt that DD was a wide midfielder, especially ahead of Brennan. Effectively, Pesch was chosen ahead of DD as a striker, despite a promising partnership with Radzinki having started to blossom in earlier games.

Archived