Ligaments

Kyle

I know this is a little off topic but i recently tor my MCL and ACL which are ligaments in my knee ... i hear its one of the most common soccer injuries and i know some people who had to adjust their lives because of it( quitting sports teams ) ...to me it was a no brainer i want to continue playing and i even want to see how far all make it ..try to make a carrer out of it... but im just wondering what you guys think? do you know anyone who has had something similar? or maybe even yourselfs ..thx

If you haven't already, make appointments to with a sports-physio.

From a personal experience; A couple of years back I kept on twisting my right ankle during my games, then I started twisting the other as well. I got to the point where both ankles being punished game in, game -out, and eventually I was rendered useless.

Scared I would never play again I went to see a sports-physio. The Physio evaluated me and said my liagaments in my both ankles had major strains. This was all due to the injuring, and re-injuring of my ankle.

The Physio then started treating my ankles and also gave me a list of stretches and exercises specifically for my ankles. I went to see the physio a total of 6 times (once a week) for a 1 1/2 months. All the while, I was continuing to stretch and exercise my ankles daily. Since then I have been lucky enough not to have those problems again, and still play to this day. (I also have not stopped stretching and exercising my ankles) As the Physio said, by doing so the muscles around the ankle will stregnthen and decrease the possibility of happening again. (this may apply to you)

Hopefully this could help encourage you, and seek help for your knee. I don't know if the physio can help you in the same way, but if you don't try, you'll never know.

Good Luck!

Hi, I tore my ACL partially- about a 5 to 10% tear. I've did quite a bit of research on ACL tears and it seems that if you have a full tear, then you are looking at 6 mos on the sidelines after getting it reattached using a patella tendon or a hamstring tendon. Otherwise, you can continue playing with one of those god awful braces. If its only partial, then even pros get physio for about 6 weeks and start playing. The ACL does NOT heal itself like the ligaments on the sides of your knee, thus surgery is often needed due to instability. But remember that you are in good company: Alan Shearer, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Juninho, Ronaldo; all of these players have overcome the injury. Just make sure you are committed to proper rehabilitation and you'll be fine.

Good Luck

Hi Kyle. Sorry to hear about your injury.

I ruptured my ACL ligament at 17, had the op at 18 and was fit to get back to sport a year later. I would be fine now (aged 23) if I didn't re-rupture it jumping off a wall 9 months back. Stupid me.

The general consensus is that you have to wait a year before getting back to sport in order to let the reconstructed ligament fully develop. In order to protect the ligament you should develop the muscles around the knee. This makes a massive difference - some NZ rugby players can play without an ACL as their muscles compensate for the lack of ACL.

Advise wise: get yourself to the surgeon, sports physio as soon as possible. The longer you leave it the longer it would take.

Here is a good forum for injured ACLers. Warning it can get addictive.

http://factotem.org/cgi-bin/kneebbs.pl

All the best

4 barcelona players have the same injury this year. including henrik larsson. all of them are out for the remainder of the season. it's an incredibly serious injury - tho more common in females than males, ask your doctor/physio why the reason is fascinating - and no matter what you try, you may not make it back. you have to remember that professionals have the benefit of 24 hour care and a 7 day-a-week training with the likes of rick celebrini to recoup - do you have those sorts of resources?

i wish you the best of luck.

I don't wanna scare you, but the same thing happened to a buddy of mine playing street hockey, however he also suffered a great deal of nerve damage. He can't walk with out a special brace for his foot. 3 years later, he is just now regaining feeling in his foot and has been a virtual cripple ever since, but since the feeling has come back he has begun physio.

He was in his 30's though.

Good luck.

I fully tore my acl in 2000 playing soccer, there was damage to the mcl and medial meniscus (cartilage) too. I opted for surgery and had my acl replaced and a year later after physio and working out I was playing again with a brace, the next season I played without a brace. After surgery the acl is as good as new, it's the rest of the knee that I've had problems with since. This year I injured my meniscus again, I was just walking (and sober). Now I may have to go under the knife once more.

Info: http://www.knee1.com/care/condition20.cfm/40

thx guys you have all been alot of help ..for those of you talking about physio i went to see him the day after the injury and have been going ever since ..has been almost 2 months now and ive been very active latly( w.o,bike,tredmill,swimming,physio exercises, plyos the list goes on ) i go see the actual doctor for the third time in 3 days and he tells me wether or not i need surgery and i dono about where you guys live but he told me if i need surgery it would b months waiting just to get in i alrdy missed high school soccer and half of indoor and i dont wanna miss anymore ...well anyways i dident think many people would reply but thanks alot i read the forums everytime i get a chance

It was a four month wait for me for surgery in Toronto. In the mean time, the stronger you can get your leg ahead of time will result in quicker recovery after surgery.

This was my timeline:

3 months to find a doctor competent enough to diagnose injury

4 month wait for surgery

1 month on crutches

11 more months of physio.

Archived