Under 20 Qualifying

canso

Does this seem ridiculously biased to anyone else? The groupings are unbelievable, the press release only lists the games effecting the USA...maybe they should just rename CONCACAF...how about TERFAQ... The Easiest Route For Ameicans to Qualify!

CONCACAF unveiled the fixtures for Group A of the CONCACAF Under-20 Final Round Qualification that will take place at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California USA from January 12-16, 2005.

The USA, who is hosting its third overall CONCACAF U-20 Qualifying event, will greet Costa Rica, Panama and Caribbean Zone Series 1 Winner (Cuba or Trinidad & Tobago) at Group A that will qualify two teams to the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship in Netherlands.

The other two CONCACAF representatives to the FIFA tournament will come from CONCACAF U-20 Group B as Canada, Jamaica, Mexico and the host, Honduras compete in Tegucigalpa from January 26-30, 2005.

The CONCACAF U-20 Group A begins on 12 January, when Costa Rica meets Panama at 17:30, while the USA faces Cuba/Trinidad & Tobago Winner at 20:00.

Costa Rica takes on Cuba/Trinidad & Tobago at 17:30 two days later, while USA greets Panama at 20:00.

The U-20 Group A Final Round concludes on January 16, when Panama faces Cuba/Trinidad & Tobago at 12:00, while the USA host Costa Rica at 14:30.

2005 CONCACAF UNDER-20 QUALIFYING

Caribbean Zone – Second Round

Series 1

26.11.2004: La Habana, CUBA; Estadio Pedro Marrero (15:30)

CUBA – TRINIDAD & TOBAGO

10.12.2004: TBD, TRINIDAD & TOBAGO;

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO – CUBA

FINAL ROUND *

Group A – Carson, California USA; Home Depot Center

12.01.2005: COSTA RICA – PANAMA (17:30); USA – CUBA/TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (20:00)

14.01.2005: CUBA/TRINIDAD & TOBAGO – COSTA RICA (17:30); USA – PANAMA (20:00)

16.01.2005: PANAMA – CUBA/TRINIDAD & TOBAGO (12:00); USA – COSTA RICA (14:30)

Group B – Tegucigalpa, HONDURAS; Estadio TBD

26-30.01.2005

HONDURAS

MEXICO

CANADA

JAMAICA

* Top two teams from each group qualify to 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship in the Netherlands from June 10 – July 2, 2005.

Well those groups are pretty fair at the U20 level. We finished first last time in a group with the USA; Panama won the other group over Mexico. We finished first in 2001 in Victoria with exactly the same group. So we would have to be considered the highest seed in the group playing in Honduras. I guess you could say the Caribbean rep in Group A is weak, but how much weaker than Honduras, who have not qualified at this level for some time?

Player for player, we can compete with any of these countries. The wildcard right now, as it always seems to be, is player familiarity. Currently, our two most talented, or seemingly in form, strikers are Uccello and Jonathan Deguzman. However, does Mitchell bring those two in now considering they have not played with this group before? Or does he stay with the group who has played together (Lalli, O'Neill, Hughes, Wilson). The bottom line is they have to play together.

I'm predicting Julian and Jono make the decision easier...by not showing up!

Which is too sad, given the litany of dissapointment recently with Canadian soccer at all levels. Will the tragedy continue with Mitchell being forced to pick a domestic only side?

Maybe I'm just being gloomy. Can anyone provide some reassurance around the committment of Uccello? DeJong and DeGuz Jr? Hughes and Ledgerwood?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well those groups are pretty fair at the U20 level. We finished first last time in a group with the USA; Panama won the other group over Mexico. We finished first in 2001 in Victoria with exactly the same group. So we would have to be considered the highest seed in the group playing in Honduras. I guess you could say the Caribbean rep in Group A is weak, but how much weaker than Honduras, who have not qualified at this level for some time?

I think you are spot on with that analysis. Its is so hard to tell with any definition who will have the best youth team. Given that Costa Rica and Mexico both finished ahead of us in U-17, but I think Costa Rica the stronger team, this is a good draw for Canada. Keep in mind too that the Cuban teenagers, should they make it, may have extra motivation against the US versus anyone else they could draw.

That is cheerful! Don't know if it's enough to get through the long winter of discontent ahead, but all work and no play makes me...something, something.

Seems there is an exceptionally large pool of overseas talent. Thanks to this board, I've got an idea of what players like Uccello, DeGuz, DeJong, Ledgerwood and Hughes bring to the team.

Anyone seen these guys play:

Ryan Gyaki -

Carlo Schiavoni-

David Edgar-

Tom Lindley-

Marcel DeJong-

I've seen snippets of Ryan Gyaki with the Storm PDL squad but it's been awhile. He was injured in the opener this season but has been playing with Sheffield's U18s lately. He's a big strong midfielder and according to a somewhat biased source did well last season. You can check out his profile here:

http://www.sufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/AcademyProfilesDetail/0,,10418~457940,00.html

It says he was born in Toronto but he is from Calgary.

About David Edgar, he is about the same age as Peters. He is one of three players born in 1987 (and seems to be the youngest by a few days) that are listed on Newcastle United's Reserve Squad. So far, he has made three appearances with the reserves and was an unused sub 2 more times. In addition to that, he is a regular starter on their U-18 squad. He is listed as a midfielder on the reserve squad but he has played central defense for Canada and also some with Newcastles teams (reserve and youth).

I think he would definitely start with the U-20s this time around.

Just never heard anything like it before...sounds like a cat spitting up a hairball! guuuh yakki!

As for ignorance, I'm confused about the youth team system he's involved in. How can he play for the Under 18s when he's over 18? Is there a youth reserve team as well as a reserve team usually?

Hey Redhat,

Knowing full well that Gyaki is as Canadian as the rest of us, I do not see any problem with Canso's question, wanting to learn what origin of the name.

Wanting to discover if a name's origin is Eastern European, Japanese or other can be a learning experience for all of us. :o)

Cheers!

I think the name is Hungarian in origin but the family is from Austria; Ryan is a typical Calgary high school kid (maybe not so typical, as he left for England at 17).

Since we're off track anyways:

What's your background? or What is that, Polish? is a racist question, as it leads to a value judgement based upon ethnicity. In which case we're all racist, 'cause everyone does it, maybe not in Winnpeg, but certainly in Toronto! The mistake is assuming that it can be interpreted only as a negative judgement.

Back on track:

the under 20 team as I see them lining up:

---------Lindley-------

------Davis----Edgar

-Ledgerwood------Hainault

---------Gyaki--------

-Schiavoni-------Charowski

----Rosenlund----DeJong----

---------Hughes-------

quote:Originally posted by David C.

Hey Redhat,

Knowing full well that Gyaki is as Canadian as the rest of us, I do not see any problem with Canso's question, wanting to learn what origin of the name.

Wanting to discover if a name's origin is Eastern European, Japanese or other can be a learning experience for all of us. :o)

Cheers!

No, the issue is NOT the question itself, but the delivery. One could easily interpret it as a disparaging, rhetorical question. Now, if canso did not mean it that way, fair enough--we should cut him some slack. However, when he follows up with "sounds like a cat spitting up a hairball! guuuh yakki!" it doesn't take much to discern his intent. Or am I wrong?

How the hell did we get on to this?[V]

Hey Beaver,

No, you make a good point that the delivery/context was in poor taste. However, I just wanted to "stand up" for the question itself, which I thought was a valid side-question - that's all. No harm was meant toward anyone (certainly not RedHat).

Oh! And thanks to Ed for responding.

Cheers!

quote:Originally posted by David C.

Hey Beaver,

No, you make a good point that the delivery/context was in poor taste. However, I just wanted to "stand up" for the question itself, which I thought was a valid side-question - that's all. No harm was meant toward anyone (certainly not RedHat).

Oh! And thanks to Ed for responding.

Cheers!

No worries, buddy. I knew what you were getting at--just wanted to make the distinction.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the original question or its delivery. God forbid anyone from being curious and offending someone. canso's subsequent making fun of the name (which admittedly is not an attractive sounding name) may be juvenile but there is no evidence that it is based on racist thought. Some of the people on this board should join a politically correct chat forum instead of a soccer one. We are soccer fans not nuns. Have you sensitive guys ever been to a soccer game in Europe (or Africa or South America)? If you get offended by "What kind of name is Gyaki anyway?" I doubt there would be one game out of thousands played every weekend in Europe that you could attend without having your oh-so-sensitive feelings hurt. What kind of nick is The Beaver anyway? Is that not a stereotype of Canada? A disparaging term for female genitals?

Interesting. I appreciate everyone's input about the remark. I just found the

relevance of Ryan Gyaki's background to be immaterial. I don't care if the guy's

Hungarian, Japanese, or whatever. If he's good enough to make it to the Canadian team,

I would rather value his skills than use his ethnicity as a point of reference.

I personally have some experience similarly, like when people still ask me what nationality

I am when I've been in this country practically all my life. If they ask my (soon-to-be)

daughter the same question, what answer will she give since my wife is Scottish-Canadian?

Based on the delivery of the question, I knew what he was REALLY getting at, whether or

not it was meant to be malicious. As for a learning experience, try walking in my shoes,

facing these stupid questions all the time ...

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I don't think there was anything wrong with the original question or its delivery. God forbid anyone from being curious and offending someone. canso's subsequent making fun of the name (which admittedly is not an attractive sounding name) may be juvenile but there is no evidence that it is based on racist thought. Some of the people on this board should join a politically correct chat forum instead of a soccer one. We are soccer fans not nuns. Have you sensitive guys ever been to a soccer game in Europe (or Africa or South America)? If you get offended by "What kind of name is Gyaki anyway?" I doubt there would be one game out of thousands played every weekend in Europe that you could attend without having your oh-so-sensitive feelings hurt. What kind of nick is The Beaver anyway? Is that not a stereotype of Canada? A disparaging term for female genitals?

Yo, Grizz, go back and read my post again. No, really read it this time. You've missed the mark entirely.

And as far as sensitivity goes, just because soccer fans (or football fans or Republicans or chronic-masturbators, for that matter) sling racial and sexual slurs does not mean it should be tolerated. Hell, Gyaki is one of OURS--why would we disparage him? But, if you read my post, you'd see that I suggest canso's intent is up for debate BECAUSE OF THE CONTEXT AND DELIVERY.

Yes, the Politically Corrrect Police are out in full force and often sound as ignorant and lacking in common sense as those they so ardently oppose.

Oh, and a beaver is a large rodent--the largest of the genus--and a national symbol of Canada. It is not a stereotype. Take a look in the dictionary and tell me how a beaver could be a stereotype for a country. As for the female genital reference, I am not sure I know what you are talking about.

Peace out, mother fouler. ;)

Archived