Nov 17 WCQ - Guatemala v Canada - POST-match [R]

DJT

that just goes to show u that its not the coach. Its plain and simple u guys dont see it. Most of the players Onstad, Radzinski, De Guzman, Imhoff, Staltieri, Devos, Hume etc. first off dont play as a team. They know they'll get called up because they play in big leagues around the world, so they use that to there advantage. Now im not bashing those players cus obviously they're good. The thing is they need a wake up call. And maybe this is it. Personally if i were Yallop i'd pretty much have that lineup play all the time just few minor changes. Dero should play upfront with Radz no quest about it. In the midfield it should consist like this Brennan on the left, inside left Bernier, inside right Staltieri, right outside Deguz. what a powerfull mid. On defence left back simpson inside left devos inside right Mckenna, right back Hutch. And in goal Lars. Now on the bench you should have Occean, Hume, Jazic, Bircham, Sutton, Gervais, Serioux. Now thats a team. tell me wat u think

quote:Originally posted by Champs

Personally if i were Yallop i'd pretty much have that lineup play all the time just few minor changes. Dero should play upfront with Radz no quest about it. In the midfield it should consist like this Brennan on the left, inside left Bernier, inside right Staltieri, right outside Deguz. what a powerfull mid. On defence left back simpson inside left devos inside right Mckenna, right back Hutch. And in goal Lars. Now on the bench you should have Occean, Hume, Jazic, Bircham, Sutton, Gervais, Serioux. Now thats a team. tell me wat u think

5 of 10 field players is a bit more than "minor" changes. Don't expect Radz to return top the national team, and I would think deVos is also out. Brennan being out of favour, I'd expect to see Stalteri, Deguz and probably Hume in the lineup in a few months.

Great win, though frustrating to see it took so long to get it. Further proof, really, that we were ill prepared at the beginning of this tournament. We needed at least 3 solid friendlies under our belt heading into the 1st game against Guatamala. Even if we couldn't get our top guys for those 3 games, we should have at least gathered our best available team for 3 friendlies. Tonight's result is proof positive of this assertion. A team that has played 3 games together is probably going to be more effective than a star-studded team that has not played a game together for months. Not to suggest we are in anyways star-studded, but you get my point. I mean, isn't this how the US has been successful as of the last few years. They need not depend on hard-to-get Euro stars to form their qualifying sides--they have enough MLS or available talent to form squads for friendlies etc.

Ours was a tough group, no doubt. But with proper preparation I'll go so far as to claim that we could have contended for the 3rd spot in the hex. Costa Rica is beatable, and with some good luck and amazing play, so are the Yanks. (It wouldn't be easy, mind you, but we'd be competitive.)

Anyhow, kudos to the Guatamalan association for allowing us a minute of silence for Domenic--very classy.

And congrats to the guys on a solid win, and congrats to Yallop for continuing to refine and improve. (he'll be a good coach for us--he just needs time.)[^]

Congrats to the boys for a hard earned victory on the road, and to Frank for his first World Cup Qualifying victory (I don't count Belize as actual wins..LOL..) Yes, the game was meaningless, but Guatemala still dressed mainly there A squad and I'm sure wanted a home victory for the crowd, while we had basically a "B" team that sounds like they had numerous chances to score. Besides the first match against Guatemala where we were ill prepared, we were in every game and had some real bad luck not to come out with a victory, so I'm happy for the boys and Frank they were able to get one, they deserved it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the more games we get to play under Frank the better and better this team looks, now he gets to start over with a very good young core (Hume, ATiba, Simpson, Occean, Deguz, Peters...etc..) and mold them into his team. I look forward to seeing what he can do with these guys in the Gold Cup....Cheers boys...

I think another thing this victory does is that it validates the B team format in a big way. Half of the players called to the team were on the roster for the B team games last summer. Get these guys the opportunity to play as a team against good competition every chance available. If you can't get the very best guys get the hungriest and let them play together as a team. It builds continuity, builds depth, and keeps the Men's National Team program top of mind.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Here's the video for DeRosario's goal. Enjoy.

http://tinyurl.com/67um5

Dude, thanks for the clip. Wow, what a smart little goal. Damn, DD needs to get more game time at the club level. He still has more developing to do. And, it is an absolute waste playing him in mid. (Yes, I know we've already established this...)

Reminds me a bit of the Veronique Maranda goal against Germany a couple of days ago. Same corner of the net. De Ro spots the keeper off the line intelligently and says "Thank you very much".

De Ro finishes as our top scorer in qualifying with 5 goals, though only 4 were counted officially.

Clever goal by DeRosario: shows what he is capable of.

I would sure like to see this match to analyze the individual performances, in particular Serioux in centre mid, Simpson at left back, and the triad of Hirschfeld/McKenna/Gervais. I honestly thought this would be no contest ("hot prediction" of 4-0 for Guatemala), but I'll gladly eat crow with this result.

On the downside, the result leaves me with more questions about prior player selection, but I'll leave those for another thread.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:poor preparation, bizarre player selection and a loss in our first match which pretty much sealed our fate

Sounds very much like what happened for us to not get into the World Cup...we still have a long way to go.

Play Solomon Islands to be Oceanias representative against Conembol over a home and away leg. Then Play the 5th placed Sth American team on an home and away basis.

Wont know if were in it until November 2005.

Good luck for the next caimpaign

[DJT] I have moved the subsequent posts about Australian soccer to the General Discussion section. [/DJT]

Archived