Klukowski out, Valente in.....

Winnipeg Fury

WHITECAPS ALFREDO VALENTE CALLED UP FOR NATIONAL DUTY

…Whitecaps captain to join Canada in Guatemala

Vancouver, BC – Whitecaps FC Director of Soccer Operations Bob Lenarduzzi announced today that Whitecaps Men’s team captain, Alfredo Valente, has been called up for national team duty by head coach Frank Yallop. Valente will dress for Canada in their final World Cup Qualifying match Wednesday, November 17th in Guatemala.

Valente will replace midfielder Mike Klukowski who was injured playing for his club team, La Louviere, Belgium. Carlo Corazzin is the other Whitecap to participate in this round of World Cup Qualifying, playing in the October 13th match at Swangard Stadium vs. Costa Rica.

“We’re extremely excited for Alfredo,” says Whitecaps Director of Soccer Operations Bob Lenarduzzi. “This is a great opportunity for him to experience what it’s like to play at that kind of level, and he is fully deserving of the selection.”

Canada is 0-3-2 in this semi-final round of qualifying in CONCACAF. Guatemala is 3-1-1 and has already advanced to the final round of qualifying in the region.

Whitecaps Communications

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

pfft. joke. yallop is really starting to tick me off.

The game is in less than 4 days. What the hell did you expect?

You need at least 5 days notice for EPL teams (Norwich: Brennan)

or any other Euro team for that matter (Saarbrucken : Nsaliwa).

At least Grande, Sutton, De Rosario, and McKenna will be there.

As one of Yallop's critics I have to say it bothers me that some people are willing to criticize him regardless of what he does. Valente is a young player who if he develops well could be national team quality. On short notice for a meaningless game what more could we expect. Obviously noone from Europe is going to be called. I am certainly much happier that he called Valente than Watson who would be a strong alternative given the situation. Yallop has made enough poor decisions that can be criticized that we don't need to blindly criticize every move he makes. We should also be objective and if his coaching improves he should be given credit for it as well. I am perfectly happy with Valente being called as he is a young player and the experience should be good for him.

Valente over Corazzin, watson, yallop, aguiar, fletcher, and xausa, Yallop, what are you thinking? Hey maybe bring in Nial Thompson. Valente was Yallop's first good decision, why are some of you guys questioning it? He's young and only got room for improvement, not like those other 6 players I mentioned.

quote:Originally posted by stacks

Valente over Corazzin, watson, yallop, aguiar, fletcher, and xausa, Yallop, what are you thinking? Hey maybe bring in Nial Thompson. Valente was Yallop's first good decision, why are some of you guys questioning it? He's young and only got room for improvement, not like those other 6 players I mentioned.

He's gonna be rooted firmly to the bench anyways, so I don't see why we're all getting our panties in a bunch over this.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

He's gonna be rooted firmly to the bench anyways, so I don't see why we're all getting our panties in a bunch over this.

Wasn't Corazzin going to be rooted to the bench also? If your picked, then there is a chance you are gong to play. Injuries, tactical needs, whatever.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Corazzin was picked from the start, was he not? I was thinking more along the lines of Biello for that first Guatemala game.

I didn't think Carlo was called until the Costa Rica game.

He was in the player pool though, including a few others

(Aguiar, Pozniak, Stamatopolous, etc.).

quote:Originally posted by redhat

I didn't think Carlo was called until the Costa Rica game.

He was in the player pool though, including a few others

(Aguiar, Pozniak, Stamatopolous, etc.).

I meant he was on the original selection for the CR game, not a last-minute replacement. Anyways, seems like Pozniak's replaced Valente :P.

Archived