W-League 2005 alignment announced

sudcan

Official

Ottawa, Sudbury, Toronto in Eastern Conference

London in Central Conference

Vancouver in Western Conference

Friday, November 12, 2004

TAMPA, FL -- United Soccer Leagues announced Friday the 34-team alignment and operational details for the 2005 W-League season.

Six new teams will take to the field in 2005 in the W-League with new franchises in Atlanta, Orlando, Vermont, Toronto, San Diego and London, Ontario.

“We are excited about the new teams and the direction the league is heading,” said W-League Director of Operations Tammy Crawford. “The W-League proved last season that in addition to being the leader in developing the women’s game through its connectivity with the Super Y-League, that exciting elite women’s soccer does still exist without the WUSA with many of the pro league’s stars playing in our league. We expect another outstanding season in 2005.”

Overtime will continue to be used in the W-League with two 10-minute periods played in their entirety during the regular season and two 15-minute periods in the playoffs. Soccer’s world governing body FIFA eliminated the use of ‘golden’ goal, which was previously used.

Each conference will have its own playoff to determine the three conference champions to join the W-League Championship tournament host who will receive a bye to the semifinals. The top two teams will play in a single-game playoff in the Western Conference. The top two teams in each of the Central Conference’s divisions will play in a four-team conference championship tournament that will be hosted by the Cincinnati Ladyhawks, who will not receive an automatic berth. In the Eastern Conference, the top team from the regular season receives a bye to the four-team Eastern Conference Championship tournament. The top two teams in the Northern Division will play each other with the top four teams in the Northeast Division playing (1 v 4, 2 v 3) to add the other two participants to the conference tournament.

The W-League alignment for 2005 will again consist of three conferences with the three divisions in the Eastern Conference merging to form two for the upcoming season. The Central remains in a two-division format with no divisions in the Western.

Central Conference

The Atlantic Division will see teams in Atlanta and Orlando joining the Bradenton Athletics, Carolina Dynamo, Charlotte Lady Eagles, Hampton Roads Piranhas, Northern Virginia Majestics and Richmond Kickers Destiny. The Midwest Division consists of the Chicago Cobras, Cincinnati Ladyhawks, Cleveland Internationals, Detroit Jaguars, Fort Wayne Fever, West Michigan Edge and previously provisional London Gryphons, who will be full members for 2005.

Eastern Conference

The Northern Division will be comprised of the Ottawa Fury, Rochester Ravens, Sudbury Canadians, Toronto Lady Lynx and Vermont Lady Voltage. The Northeast Division has two former league champions in the Boston Renegades and the Long Island Lady Riders as well as 2004 runners-up New Jersey Wildcats. Filling out the division are the New Hampshire Lady Phantoms, New York Magic, South Jersey Banshees and Western Mass Lady Pioneers.

Western Conference

The new San Diego franchise join the Arizona Heatwave, Denver Lady Cougars, Fort Collins Force, Mile High Mustangs, Seattle Sounders Women and 2004 league champion Vancouver Whitecaps.

Bxl Boy:

I talked to one of the Xtreme players(name withheld by request) and she said there was supposed to be new sponsors who would help to stabilize the costs for the team and they are supposed to begin practicees in December. But I somehow feel they will not return as this owner is ''in hiding''. Smells like the Ionian fiasco and this seems to be the second time that a women's team has failed in Montreal. The only way for the W-League team to survive now is for the Impact to take over(though I think they're gun-shy about another club remembering the failed indoor experience) or to find new owners. Like I asked Michael Ueltschey(when he came over from Cincinnati to play for Montreal) ''Are they(USL) not screening these owners better??''

Bxl Boy:

I talked to one of the Xtreme players(name withheld by request) and she said there was supposed to be new sponsors who would help to stabilize the costs for the team and they are supposed to begin practicees in December. But I somehow feel they will not return as this owner is ''in hiding''. Smells like the Ionian fiasco and this seems to be the second time that a women's team has failed in Montreal. The only way for the W-League team to survive now is for the Impact to take over(though I think they're gun-shy about another club remembering the failed indoor experience) or to find new owners. Like I asked Michael Ueltschey(when he came over from Cincinnati to play for Montreal) ''Are they(USL) not screening these owners better??''

Archived