What the hell is wrong with Canadian Rugby!

LMW

Why is Rugby Canada using mostly players from the Canadian Rugby Super League and not the overseas professionals. We are getting embarrased in games against top notch nations, and they are not even using their first string players. Why do we not have a coach with professional experience. Ric Suggit was the womans coach and makes the same blowhard statements the Pipe and Sharp make from the CSA. We have to get better etc.etc... Is Rugby Canada the same kind of incompetant organization such as the CSA with lack of funding.etc.. This is a joke. I know that Garreth Rees resigned way back, so something is obviously wrong.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I just want (truthfully) as a sports junkie to sit down and watch a game with someone who understands the game and has patience to explain rugby to me......or cricket for that matter for some reason I can't get either on my own:(

I hear you. Especially with regards to cricket. It is on the sports rundowns of the various English-language cable stations that I watch (BBC, BBC World, CNN Int'l, etc.) here and I haven't a clue of what it all means.

Rugby I can sort of understand. At least I understand the scoring system and when points are being scored. It has elements of our version of football (ie: CFL) in it.

In my opinion, the best way to learn about a sport is to watch it on TV and listen to the commentary. That's how I began to understand rugby - by watching it on TSN in the early 1990s. After a little while I could figure out when the ball was "knocked on" and when a player was offside. However, its kind of tough to learn cricket that way in Canada since it isn't on free TV.

quote:Originally posted by ray

In my opinion, the best way to learn about a sport is to watch it on TV and listen to the commentary. That's how I began to understand rugby - by watching it on TSN in the early 1990s. After a little while I could figure out when the ball was "knocked on" and when a player was offside. However, its kind of tough to learn cricket that way in Canada since it isn't on free TV.

I learned cricket by reading a non-fiction book on it and having an Aussie explain to me te basic rules (ie 6 pitches per over, # of wickets, etc.); the rest I figured out by the description of different games in the book. Great book which I highly recommend, btw, called "War Minus the Shooting" about the 1996 CWC in India-Pakistan-Sri Lanka and the madness associated with the sport on the subcontinent.

Archived