Grande & Peters Update

Guest Can. in UK

Guest Can. in UK

From local sources:

Ipswich are battling with FIFA bureaucracy in attempts to sign both Grande and Peters.

Grande: Ipswich are keen to sign him and the Impact have released him of his contract, thus making him a free agent. In Ipswich's view, they should be able to sign him outside of the transfer window. The FA, however, dispute this. They are in continuing negotiations with the FA regarding players who have been released from their contract.

Peters: (who has been offered a contract by Chelsea & Man. United) Apparently Peters cannot apply for a working holiday-maker visa until he is 18 which means that he cannot play for any team until next May. Peters has not officially chosen any team as of yet, but Ipswich are "working hard" with FIFA to allow Peters to join their youth team in the New Year.

From the Ipswich website:

Grande gets his chance

Sandro Grande can take a step closer to winning a contract at Town today when he takes part in a behind closed doors friendly.

The 27-year-old Canadian international has been on trial at Portman Road over the past two weeks but has been unable to play in reserve team games because of FIFA rules.

"We have arranged a game so that we can have a look at Sandro in a match situation," Town boss Joe Royle told the Club website.

"He has done well in training and we will have a better idea of where we go from here after watching the game.

"It's not a red tape problem with Sandro not been able to play here, it's simply the rules.

"He is currently contracted to a club and although he has the freedom to move on, he can't sign for anyone until January's transfer window.

"Sandro has Italian parents so there are no work permit problems or anything like that. It's straightforward rules and regulations regarding the transfer window."

The former Brescia player, who is registered with Montreal Impact, the club he helped win the Canadian A League title recently, is set to return to Canada later this week.

Guest Can. in UK

From Joe Royle (Concerning Jaime Peters):

“We are in there batting,” said Royle. “The last I heard he had gone to Chelsea but we're not out of it and still in with a chance of signing him.

“One of his agents happens to be an old school friend of mine but the kid will go where he believes he will get the best chance.”

(Sandro Grande):

“Sandro has done well in training but no manager would sign a player on that basis, which is why we have arranged today's game to take a close look at him.

“He's a very tidy player who has settled in well during his time with us. He is very fit, although we tend to take the fitness of Canadian and US players for granted because of their excellent attitude to the game.

“But we were always aware of the fact that he could not sign for anyone until January, so he will be flying back to Canada tomorrow regardless of how well he plays today.”

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

back in the 80's Carlo was quite fit.

And he was the golden boot winner in GC 2000.

I've seen him as a member of the Winnipeg Fury in the

early 90s and he was amazing. But hey, those four

years after the GC will take a toll on anyone.

Like any other striker, his day will come when he becomes a step behind the rest.

Look at Christian Vieri, with players like Adriano, Martins and Recoba playing ahead of him, he has simply seems to have lost half a step.

Okay I'll admit that Carlo looks to have lost more than half a step, but every player gets to that point in his career at some point in time.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Like any other striker, his day will come when he becomes a step behind the rest.

Look at Christian Vieri, with players like Adriano, Martins and Recoba playing ahead of him, he has simply seems to have lost half a step.

Okay I'll admit that Carlo looks to have lost more than half a step, but every player gets to that point in his career at some point in time.

Carlo hasn't lost anything! He's gained 20 pounds!!! [:o)]

From TeamTalk/Yahoo Sports

No Town deal for Grande

Thu 11 Nov, 10:35 AM

Canadian international midfielder Sandro Grande is not being offered a deal by Ipswich as the club is looking more for wide men.

Town had their first glimpse of Grande, 27, in match action on Wednesday when he played in a specially arranged friendly with Colchester United reserves at the club's training ground, which Colchester won 2-1.

Grande performed well, but Ipswich have decided he is not what they are looking for right now, and had in any case been told by the Football Association that they would not be able to sign him until January, even though he is a free agent.

Grande said: "Considering I had not played for a month, I thought the game went well, although I was not at my sharpest and when you are trying to impress, you need to be at your best."

He added: "I'm happy that Joe Royle has said that I could easily play in this division. I'm happy with how it went, but I did wonder why I was always playing out wide in practice games and training and I don't think I am really quick enough to play on the wings."

Grande, who is returning home to play for Canada in a World Cup qualifier with Guatemala, feels more at home in central midfield, and hopes to be able to do a job for another Championship side, with Stoke and Wigan having shown an interest.

Town's rejection of Grande would appear to indicate they may up their efforts to sign fellow Canadian Jaime Peters, 17, who is a winger by trade, even though Fifa have told them he could not play in English football until he turns 18 next May.

From TeamTalk/Yahoo Sports

No Town deal for Grande

Thu 11 Nov, 10:35 AM

Canadian international midfielder Sandro Grande is not being offered a deal by Ipswich as the club is looking more for wide men.

Town had their first glimpse of Grande, 27, in match action on Wednesday when he played in a specially arranged friendly with Colchester United reserves at the club's training ground, which Colchester won 2-1.

Grande performed well, but Ipswich have decided he is not what they are looking for right now, and had in any case been told by the Football Association that they would not be able to sign him until January, even though he is a free agent.

Grande said: "Considering I had not played for a month, I thought the game went well, although I was not at my sharpest and when you are trying to impress, you need to be at your best."

He added: "I'm happy that Joe Royle has said that I could easily play in this division. I'm happy with how it went, but I did wonder why I was always playing out wide in practice games and training and I don't think I am really quick enough to play on the wings."

Grande, who is returning home to play for Canada in a World Cup qualifier with Guatemala, feels more at home in central midfield, and hopes to be able to do a job for another Championship side, with Stoke and Wigan having shown an interest.

Town's rejection of Grande would appear to indicate they may up their efforts to sign fellow Canadian Jaime Peters, 17, who is a winger by trade, even though Fifa have told them he could not play in English football until he turns 18 next May.

More on Grande:

Grande vows to return

by Simon Fudge - Last Updated 11 Nov 2004

Sandro Grande has vowed to make the grade in English football after failing to land a deal with Ipswich Town.

The Montreal Impact player's departure comes after a fortnight on trial with the East Anglian outfit.

Town boss Joe Royle has told the Canadian international that he is interested in finding a wide midfielder for his Portman Road squad after arranging a friendly with Colchester United on Wednesday in order to watch Grande in a match situation.

The former Brescia player, who is a central midfielder, believes it may be better for him to find a club that can offer him an opportunity in his suited position.

Despite being disappointed with the final outcome of his Ipswich trial, the 27-year-old hopes to find a club in The Championship in the near future - with Wigan Athletic and Stoke City thought to interested in Grande.

"Considering I have not played in a month, I felt it went well but I was not at my sharpest and when you are trying to impress you need to be at your best," Grande told the East Anglian Daily Times.

"I'm happy that Joe Royle has said that I could easily play in this division. That is what going on trial is all about.

"Ipswich is an awesome club and I hope I can find another club that is equipped like Ipswich is and has aspirations to at least not be among the relegation zones.

"Even if I can find a club that is in the middle of the pack looking to make the play-offs, that would suit me at the moment.

"To get such positive feedback off someone as respected and experienced as Joe Royle, who is ready to recommend me and has said good things about me, then hopefully it will only be a matter of time to find the right club and I will be back.

"I could easily go back to Italy and earn more and make an impact, but that is not what I want.

"Right now I'm looking for the right English club or, perhaps, even to try in Germany."

The midfielder will return to North America to join up with Frank Yallop's Canada squad for their final World Cup qualifier in Guatemala next Wednesday before planning another trip back to England for further trials.

quote:Originally posted by Rodway

"I could easily go back to Italy and earn more and make an impact"

Then what the heck were you doing playing in the A-League this year for peanuts?

Well, he did need to get back on track; he got called up and impressed because of his play with the Impact, not his Serie-G pedigree.

That quote seems odd, though.

I would prefer him to play in Italy to keep our players spread around (if one of our players does well there then it might open the door for others). People usually point out that we can't expect that because our players prefer to go where they are more familiar with the language, culture, etc. (so that usually means Britain, Scandinavia). But here's a guy who is Italian and has already lived there! Although perhaps that explains it: he has already experienced Italy so he must have his reasons for not wanting to go back (money isn't everything). :(

He may mean that he has contacts at a lower level club in Italy where he could get a good salary and be a starter and prominent player in the league. He may also feel that there is less chance for him to move up in Italy for whatever reason. Sometimes lower division clubs are sponsored by a rich backer and pay better than higher division clubs. Thus you can earn a good living at a low level without having much chance of improving your ability and playing high level soccer. From what I have heard Italy also seems to have very strong club politics. He may feel that in England or Germany he is unknown and will be judged solely on ability and have a better chance of accomplishing something.

Archived