MLS CUP

argh1

quote:Hey, I always thought spelling was irrelevant on these boards.

For the most part it is. However when somebody above is specifically making a point that he is spelling humour correctly without the "U" I like to retaliate. Especially since labour and colour are correctly spelled with a "u" in Canadian english, and this is a Canadian board.

Why Canadian editors would choose to spell them the american way is beyond my understanding. Then again newpaper editors are getting worse all the time. Recently in my local papers I've seen "bass" as in guitar spelled as "base" multiple times in one article and a hole in the wall spelled multiple times in another article as "whole".

What really ticks me off is these new bank machines they've put in Canadian walmarts. You have a choice of taking money out of your savings or "checking" account! :(

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

The network (ABC) doesn't care about the ratings because MLS is paying them to show the game, for all they care they could have shown it on Friday night.

Interesting thing to think about. Lots of those people who don't support the Lynx but want an MLS team because it is "major league" are the same ones who consider the CFL minor league. The CFL crowds yesterday were double what the MLS final got. Personally I enjoyed the Thurrock vs Oldham game a lot more than the MLS final.

Oh yeah, the right way to spell humour is with a "u". That is if you speak and spell in english.

New England would school either of those two teams. Were either of the CFL games played on a neutral field?

The point he was making was not about the CFL being better than the NFL (it isn't), but rather about being a good league with good play and fan support. While the 100k+ that showed up to both games were home fans, the Grey Cup more often than not sells out expanded CFL stadia. This'll mean 50k+ in Ottawa this season and meant 50k+ in Regina last year. Before that it was 60k+ in Edmonton (home team playing) and 65k+ in Montréal.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

The point he was making was not about the CFL being better than the NFL (it isn't), but rather about being a good league with good play and fan support.

Actually I think it is a better league. Far more exciting and more relevant to me as a Canadian. If someone doesn't like that opinon, screw them.

From USL indications there may be a promotion/relegation system in place in a couple of years. You could see Vancouver or Montreal in the MLS before Toronto if this turns out to be the case.

As far as Americans visiting our board...

Either respect our language and culture, or just **** off. It's not aboot diplomacy, it's aboot dignity!!!

quote:From USL indications there may be a promotion/relegation system in place in a couple of years. You could see Vancouver or Montreal in the MLS before Toronto if this turns out to be the case.

Actually this would only be the case for USL teams. USL teams would promote and relegate from USL division 1 to division 2. MLS as a seperate league would have no part in it.

quote:As far as Americans visiting our board...

Either respect our language and culture, or just **** off. It's not aboot diplomacy, it's aboot dignity!!!

Right on. I assume the spelling post by yankiboy about the right way to spell humor was intended as a joke. However the snot nosed reply by bangoutoforder was just that. Snot nosed. I never said anything about comparing the CFL to the NFL, yet as an arrogant american he has to stick in his nose and try to put down the CFL. New England would school the two CFL finalists? Not at the CFL game they wouldn't. They'd get tired, after all the CFL dosn't piss about in between downs like they do in the NFL.

Actually I think it is a better league. Far more exciting and more relevant to me as a Canadian. If someone doesn't like that opinon, screw them.

Oi! I meant that CFL teams aren't better than their NFL counterparts. I do prefer 3-down football, though. Run-pass-kick, baby!

Oi! I meant that CFL teams aren't better than their NFL counterparts. I do prefer 3-down football, though. Run-pass-kick, baby!

Thats all debatable. Better to me is watching a game without getting bored and having to turn the channel. I can't do that with NFL football. The higher paid most popular leagues aren't always the best in my mind. It's two different sports anyway, to different evolutions of the sport with different rules.

It is debatable which is more exciting, but considering that even the best CFL players are usually NFL rejects, you can't argue that the CFL players are at the same level as their NFL counterparts. Kind of like the EPL and D1, in a way.

Well, just because the players are rejected by the NFL doesn't mean that they aren't better suited for the faster CFL with with it's wider field etc. It's not like the EPL and D1 because they play the same sport with the same rules, CFL and NFL don't. Also when you look at some of the "rejects" as you call them, that have played in the CFL then gone on to great things in the NFL after the CFL gave them a chance, I'd argue some of the CFL rejects are actually better than their NFL counterparts.

quote:Originally posted by Bangoutoforder

New England would school either of those two teams. Were either of the CFL games played on a neutral field?

I don't want to speak for bangoutoforder, but I read his reply to mean that New England (ie the Revolution of MLS) would school Thurrock or Oldham. Since Krammerhead was stating that the FA Cup game was more entertaining than the MLS Cup final.

Of course it may have been a snot-nosed 'CFL sucks' comment too. I didn't take it that way, but it wasn't too clear.

Of course when you tell someone that they way they spell isn't in 'English' even though it is grammatically correct for the nation they live in and perfectly clear to the reader, then I wouldn't be surprised with whatever negative response you get.

cheers,

matthew

Matthew, he was talking about New England of the NFL schooling the Lions or Argos in football, thats why he finished with "was either of those CFL games played on neutral turf.

quote:Of course when you tell someone that they way they spell isn't in 'English' even though it is grammatically correct for the nation they live in and perfectly clear to the reader, then I wouldn't be surprised with whatever negative response you get.

Perhaps you should read all the messages in the thread before you make such a comment. My comment was in response to yankiboys comment earlier on in the thread where Yankiboy says:

quote:OK. ARGH1. FOR ONCE, WE AGREE (humor--spelled the "right" way)

Yankiboy in essence was trying to tell us Canadians that the way we spell humour was wrong. Jesus Christ, an American can come on here and say that we spell things the wrong way, but if I send the same sentiments back I'm in the wrong.

My bad Krammer, I did read the whole thread. And I still screwed up, so yeah I'm in the wrong. Appologies. I understand where your reply was coming from now.

As for what bangoutoforder was talking about, I don't know for sure obviously. But he said 'those two teams' the only two teams mentioned were the soccer teams. There were four teams in the CFL division finals he was talking about. I thought he was responding to MLS v FA Cup and the MLS cup attendance vs. CFL div final attendance in two separate sentences, but I could be (and often am) wrong.

cheers,

matthew

Why would he say that New England could school either team in soccer? New England wasn't playing in the MLS cup final but they are the previous Superbowl winner. When he mentioned "those two teams" I assume he was talking about the two home CFL teams that drew such good crowds. Why he felt the need to make the comment is beyond me.

quote:

Lighten up eh!

Yankiboy was having some fun. I believe from a previous thread in which we were discussing my lack of interest in the MLS and he and I had a difference of opinion ......you say tomahto , I say tomayto , you say your mothers sister is your ant , I say she is my ohnt . I open an onvelope , you open a ennvelope . Enough defense .....ahhh....defence.....ahhhh .... it was a funny.

Now 3-down football vs the American mutated version of our proud game ;)

3-DOWN FOOTBALL RULZ.....ah untill December when 4-DOWN is the best...

Back to the MLS DC 3-2 KC . A goal difference , 'bout what every-one said ....way da go guyz . Almost 26,000 folk at the game, none to shabby for domestic league soccer on this side of the Atlantic in the Northern Hemisphere . Just to bad a typical early Maritime snow storm wiped out any chance of me seeing the game unless some-one taped it and wants to post...ah mail..ah send it to me ?

Some lucky to have a board to talks aboat soccer in Canajun eh !

New England would school the two CFL finalists? Not at the CFL game they wouldn't. They'd get tired, after all the CFL dosn't piss about in between downs like they do in the NFL.

I was agreeing with everything you were saying until this. Common man, be objective. Sure the CFL is a different-style of football but the worse NFL team still destroys the Grey Cup champs playing CFL rules and you know it. It's like comparing NBA with NCAA b-ball. Different tempo, different defences ... so what? Its still the same sport and, hence, the worse LA. Clippers team ever still annihilates the best Duke Blue-dEvil team ever no matter the slightly modified rules!

I was referrring to the Revo and not the Pats.

I like the CFL, by the way. In my mind, it's a better game.

I did catch the replay of Thurrock and Oldham and I gladly conceed that in its quaint, atmospheric way it was a splendid match. The early rounds of the FA Cup are a treat.

I've also got to give props to Krammerhead for coming up with a good zinger; to dismiss the MLS Cup final as not even as interesting as a provincial kick-about is the kind of snide hyperbole that I've always respected. Seriously.

But as a Revo and MLS fan I do take pride in our team's rep as the West Ham of North America and the league's slow but sure progress.

Only West Ham has won championships and, you know, HAS SUPPORTERS.

I suppose if I were a lager-lout from the East End of London , I'd schlepp up to Barnsley to endure a League Cup match and obsess over how many of our guys played for Three Lions-66. But I live about five minutes from Nantucket Sound and ten minutes from Cape Cod Bay. So I click on the old tube, crack a Sam and watch my Revo.

And as long as Robert Kraft is our fan number one...

As much as it pains me to agree with an evil American Republican :D, I do think the level of play in the MLS final was vastly superior to the Thurrock-Oldham FA tie. I would give the British game the atmosphere advantage though but the MLS final was also at a neutral venue quite far from either team's city. This second FA game was even worse than the first from a level of play perspective. I don't know if New England would school Oldham but I definitely think they would beat them. Thurrock they would school no question. I have to admit the Patriots would maybe not school but would beat the CFL champions even with CFL rules. I think the players are just better and even our best players play in the NFL. I will admit this although I love the CFL and can't watch the average NFL game due to boredom. Incidentally American football is starting to be played internationally. In Moscow this summer they held the European championships which were broadcast nationally on the Russian sports channel. It was pretty weird watching Russia versus Austria and France versus Denmark in our version of football. The playing level was not very high but still a bit better than one might expect. Unfortunately they are using the four down (ie. boring) version of the game.

I never said the play in the MLS final was better than the Thurrock-Oldham game. My exact quote was "Personally I enjoyed the Thurrock vs Oldham game a lot more than the MLS final", which I did. I guess I could also add that I enjoyed the Thurrock-Oldham game more than the Real Madrid-Albacete game that followed it on Sportsnet. Solely a personal preference of what I find more enjoyable.

Perhaps more people should read exactly what is posted before angrily responding to what they think was being said.

Archived