How many of us actually play soccer???

Kurosawa1555362267

We support our national team and the sport in general in Canada but how many of us actually play[?]

Personnally I started playing again last spring after maybe 15 years. I played all summer with co-workers, we were preparing for a company tournament in wich we got one tie and two loss, we also won a game but only because the opposing team did'nt have enough player. After the tournament I continued playing in a gymnasium with other peolple from my town.

What about you guys???

Ha! Good story. Started last winter doing indoor also after more than 15 years off. Got a surprise e-mail through the company about putting a team together so I joined up. Turned out there'd been a team a few years earlier but things went badly and now a few of the lads wanted to give it another go.

Loads of fun. To the man (and women, it's rec. eh) everyone signed up for outdoor this summer and we just got hammered. Bunch of 30 somethings who haven't played since highschool. That'll happen. Still, hammered game in and game out everyones keen to go again. Let me tell you that the month off between the outdoor and indoor seasons is the longest month of the year.

Never realised how much I miss playing.

Couldn't have not played outdoor this year. Very flattering. Must have had half the team ask to make certain I was coming out. Just shows you how desperate they are!

And by the way, indoor team has a few midnight practices and pickup matchs over the winter and I fully expect a few of the Winnipeg Vs out for some kick-about and a drink. Think I owe Dwayne and Jake a couple of lagers each (at least) and I mean to make good on it.

And don't worry, no sliding tackles in doors....

I am an organizer of a 7 vs 7 team indoor and outdoor. I also play on another team which 7 vs 7. Which bring me much pleasure

Check it out www.totalcampo.com

Now that I've got your attention. I'm currently looking for a goalkeeper and a striker for a team this indoor season? Let me know if you're interested.

I'm now considering coaching again. As I did it a couple of years back, however took more commitment than I thought it would at the time, so I had given it up after a year.At the same time those kids were great, lots of fun!

Started playing in 2000 with the UBC Graduate Students Association's casual, mixed, 7-a-side, summer footie league (even though I wasn't a grad student!). Played for a chemistry team (despite majoring in arts), which was by far the worst team in the league.

Became something of a manager of the same team in 2001, and bolstered the side with physics geeks, so we went on to become one of the better sides in the league (yay).

Co-founded Yangsan City FC while living in Busan, South Korea. Did that for a few months. After I left Korea, the team changed name (bleh) and moved hometown (double bleh).

Moved to London (UK), and busted my ass to find the contact info of the worst team in the worst division of the Amateur Football Combination (aka the Old Boys League) to play with, but then decided to quit when I realized it was a Saturday league, as I was more interested in attending Hanwell Town matches. Would have looked for a Sunday league side, but the missus would have throttled me.

-- 2008 UPDATE --

Now back in Vancouver and playing Wednesdays in a 7-a-side, mixed league out at UBC (deja vu!) with Urban Rec. youllneverwalkalone is the gaffer, and Nolando plays as well. We're all out-of-shape defenders. :D

Play soccer are you trying to kill me ! I'm still upset I'm not allowed to bring a poverty pack (6-pac) to the games any-more and smoking in open air bleachers .....well you might offend some Big Mac , potato chip scoffing lard ass yuppie do-gooder . Forgot to add yellow tinted glasses wearing .

Played a few games in school but I was a hockey player and if you signed a junior card that made you ineligible for scholastic sports way back in the ( dare I say it ) late 60's early 70's .

A fair amount of full contact body checking pick-up games though.

Play soccer are you trying to kill me ! I'm still upset I'm not allowed to bring a poverty pack (6-pac) to the games any-more and smoking in open air bleachers .....well you might offend some Big Mac , potato chip scoffing lard ass yuppie do-gooder . Forgot to add yellow tinted glasses wearing .

Played a few games in school but I was a hockey player and if you signed a junior card that made you ineligible for scholastic sports way back in the ( dare I say it ) late 60's early 70's .

A fair amount of full contact body checking pick-up games though.

played ELITE a few yrs back hung up the cleats :( making a return in january in indoor with a few friend (ADULT LEAGUE) I actaully played vs IAN HUME !!!! when we were 14 he was head and feet above us all we had 3 guys on him he would still dance sicrcles around us. I played for Missisauga Falcons FC he played for Brampton something dont remember.

Started playing pick up games in 2000. Still play once a week in the summer with friends and family on Sunday mornings. Thought about playing indoor, but no one of our group is interested. Probably just as well, I'm 43 and I don't think my body would hold up playing on a hard surface.

Played in German 7th and 8th league at seniors level, in youth level the 1st and 2nd level in Hamburg, which doesn't mean much. I am only 25 but probably have to stop playing on club level due to a rupture of cross ligament (probably the wrong English anatomic words, I hope you get it without laughing too much;)) and cartilage damage. Pretty sad about that, because I just reached the highest level I ever played: a top team of the 7th division!

www.wiker-sv.de If anyone really visited the site:Okay, at the moment they're not at the top, but they're supposed to be!

I'm only 18 now, I played OYSL all my life, against top players in Canada, such as Jaime Peters (CS Azzuri), Andrea Lombardo (Woodbridge and Azzuri), Petro Czoli (Oakville), Julian Uccello (Woodbridge), and many other players who are now in Europe and playing for the Canadian National Team, U-20's. At once I was with the NTCO (National Training Camp Ontario), but politics were too much to handle, so now I play in the OSL.. a league below the CPSL. When I was younger I did practice with the Millwall academy and Brighton too. Right now I'm attending my 1st year of university in Ontario, but I decided to take the year off of soccer to focus on my academics. :)

• 3 years later...

Cool thread. I manage and play for a team in Beijing comprised of locals and expats. We play against the top local amateur teams and sometimes university teams. Despite hilariously biased officiating we usually win. Good times.

Archived