How many of us actually play soccer???

Kurosawa1555362267

25 now and have been playing with st. Lawrence senior since I was 16.Started playing when I was 3, its kind of a requirement in St. Lawrence, haha. Not playing this year due to school requirements which sucks since nationals are here in NL this year.

Blue and White Army, what part of London are you living in? I am heading over at the end of August until Christmas. Would be great to have a kick while I am there.

Cheers.

Rob

I'm 27, played College soccer for 3 yrs, also played in the CCAA for 3 yrs. Still playing, last year with some Ligue Elite team (highest level in the province) and now in the Quebec City first division (pretty good level this year with a lot of former CIS players).

As for players I've played against, Olivier Occean, Ali Gerba, Patrice Bernier, some Impact players from 2002 in an exhibition game. I also played against 2 of the best clubs in Ontario U-19 in 1999 who were apparently fielding a few U-20 and U-18 NT players, don't know who they were (one of those team was North Scarborough, former JDG club).

As for the position I play. I let you guess ;)

I was a hockey player and rarely played soccer despite spending all my high school years in Germany. I did occupy the bench for a couple of games (fall season) back when I was in Grade 9, but then was told not to play soccer anymore if I was to play hockey at a high level. After returning to Canada, got back into soccer at university, playing with North Africans and Caribbean guys mainly when I was in grad school. Discovered that I wasn't too bad so played soccer intensely for the next 10 years or so. Now that I'm over my playing days, I dazzle the kids as a coach. Have coached for over 10 years, some U13 back in the early 90's and since my kids arrived have been going thru each and every age group up to U12 with them. I should of course be coaching the national team but can't commit to the travel!

I started out playing where I could do the least damage, wing or outside back. Once I got a bit of skill, primarily played as a sweeper.

Forgot to mention played against Lyndon Hooper indoor in the early 80's.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm 27, played College soccer for 3 yrs, also played in the CCAA for 3 yrs. Still playing, last year with some Ligue Elite team (highest level in the province) and now in the Quebec City first division (pretty good level this year with a lot of former CIS players).

As for players I've played against, Olivier Occean, Ali Gerba, Patrice Bernier, some Impact players from 2002 in an exhibition game. I also played against 2 of the best clubs in Ontario U-19 in 1999 who were apparently fielding a few U-20 and U-18 NT players, don't know who they were (one of those team was North Scarborough, former JDG club).

As for the position I play. I let you guess ;)

Would it be the one that you offer the most advice on???

quote:Originally posted by Laurentian

Blue and White Army, what part of London are you living in? I am heading over at the end of August until Christmas. Would be great to have a kick while I am there.

Oops, I should have updated my old post; have done that now, it's back in page 1.

I've been back in Vancouver for a little over a year now.

I play 2-3 hours everyday I don't work in the evening, we have a good pickup spot on campus where usually at least 14 or 16 people show up. I'm 23 so I have so much energy so I usually put on a stamina freakshow (I sometimes have the energy of the mike myers hyper hypo charecter) which I further draw gasps from by having the occasional smoke. The only position I can say I play is literally the left side, if I play left back I push up that whole side and run with it, if I'm left mid I push it to the goal line , even as a CB and striker I hound the left, I feel seriously uncomfertable whenever I realize I'm on the right, probably my own fault for overdoing the left.

Great thread, I've always wondered how many V's on this board played.

Iv'e played since I was four. Played for St. John's at the A-club level for most of my youth, and played with them at the U-18 club nationals in winnipeg(2003). Also played in U-15(Quebec) and U-17(Newfoundland) national all-star tournaments with the provincial team. Played against Andrew Hainault, Carlo Sahiavoni(UAB/U-20), Spencer Schmidt(UofWash/U-20), Brad Petoom(syracus/U-20), Matt Brinter(Brown/U-20), Riely O neil(whereever he plays in germany/U20), i know there are more but that's all im going to list right now.

Also played a few years of Challenge Cup until a blew out my knee during a game against St. Lawerence. Rob(Laurentian)may remember that one ;)

Now a days I dominate the Inermediate league. lol

I am now 47 and play occasionaly with friends in a pickup game on Monday evenings. I tried out for a team in the Canadian Corporate Soccer League in May but it was full of 19-22 year olds and I couldn't keep up so I asked to be put on a team in the B division. The team I joined was full of great guys in their 40s. I played an exhibition game with them in driving rain and 7 degrees Celsius (May long weekend)and found the level of play ok but I got hurt because I didn't/couldn't warm up enough. I kept on playing and challenged for a ball when someone slammed into me from behind(no call). I came off the field and decided that I am too old for this so I dropped out. In the end I realized that I would rather play with my friends an occasional pickup game and really enjoy it instead of being in a structured league and hate it.

I'm 33 now and play in the East-Toronto/Leaside adult rec. league.

Started playing when i was 6 at East York SC. Got called up to the U8 All-Star team as a 7 yr. old, playing with among others - Theo Zagar former Lynx goalie. We got our own U8 All-Star team the next year, coached by my dad and we outright dominated. We joined the Scarborough Rep. "A" division and I played until U14 when i got into a fight with a teammate and subsequently fought with my dad and quit soccer. Became a full-time party animal (well, i still played Hockey i guess).

Our team (75's) and the 74's All-Star team (with Zagar on them) used to train in the winters at a church gym at Woodbine and O'Connor. Also played against Guz Kouzmanis, former CDN U20 player and the younger bros. of CDN NT player Tom Kouzmanis (and Lynx Capt.).

Need two more pages.

One day I will put my resume together.

Here is some of it,

Player in Holland and in Canada with Estonia in the NSL,played in the USA,Atlanta and Dallas,organizer,coach,manager,Governor of The St. Andrew and Pickering soccer club.Producer of various soccer skills videos.Marketing director,camera man,director and TV producer and media and marketing director for the Robbie International Soccer Tournament,producer and director The St.Andrew TV show, Scarborough SSA,Pickering SC and MTSA( Toronto Soccer show, director host and interviewer,play by play announcer and colour commentator,Host Round Table in Pickering TV,Host on Dutch radio program,consultant,media director Toronto Blizzard,North York Rockets,Scarborough Soccer Association,writer,historian,treasurer,referee,manager,CSA media rep(oops),OSA Coaching development committee member,indoor director,sponsor,CSA rep for the Dutch National Team,member and Vice Chairman of the Toronto Centennial Committee holding various positions on behalf of the MTSA.PR director Coca/Cola Adidas soccer skills competition,joined the Red Patch boys and I guess I am an original one having been liberated by the Canadians as well as the oldest RPB,

That's what I can remember so far.

Sorry guys it is quite lengthy but enjoyed every second and I am sure I forgot a bunch as well.

I also was a media and marketing guy for a whole bunch of other sports.Oh yes I am in the kitchen business. That soccer was a good training ground.

That is the end of my bragging and yes I played soccer up until about five or so years ago and here is the biggest brag,I was voted the MVP in my final game in the over 35 guys .As a player coach and manager I played with Brian Budd, Bruce Wilson,Colin Miller,Paul James,Dave McQueen,Roberto Bettaga,Loto,Sir Stanley Mathews,David Byrne,Vac Verikaitis,Gary Miller,Gord Sweetzer,Gord Wallace,Ed McBride,and others,I am going to be 71 soon and that is scary knowing the average life span. Oh well I feel good about all that stuff and very humble and very fortunate to have experienced all that without to many scars.In all my endeavors I always said soccer comes first and my ego way second.

Soccer is so amazing and so valuable,which is the reason I feel so positive about that game it's real purpose in life and the fun people can have and now have big time.It is opening a lot of eyes.

Now 36, but started playing when I was 6. Played until my mid-twenties but stopped playing competitive football when I came to Vancouver for school. Still play pick up, but a busted ankle and some crap with my hip mean I'll likely not play organized football again. Oh, and I've two kids and am too damned busy anyways. I might coach again, which I've done in the past and loved.

Played OYSL as a teenager with a few different teams. Won a few trophies (OYSL league, OYSL League Cup, Indoor Ontario Cup, etc.). Went on to play down south where we won our conference and our conference tourney. We had a few brutal seasons, but a couple pretty good ones too. Highest ranking was #13 in the nation. Played at the back where we led the nation in best goals against, and we were 2nd in goals for. Last I checked I was #5 all-time for most games played (though I havent looked in about 2 years so I dont know if im still that.)

played a little here and there after Uni, but nothing too serious as I hurt myself a few times and got the travelling bug. Played briefly in Australia/Ireland/South Korea (where I broke my jaw last year). I also trained for a short while with Hamilton Thunder a few years back, but as I was coming off an injury (I was seriously out of shape) and I was work full-time, and I couldn't give up the 4 nights a week that was needed,so that was that.

Players I have played with that you may know are Adrian Cann (he was known as 'Peaches' back then), Iain Hume (well I played with his brother but Iain used to come and play with us in indoor world cup money league sometimes), and I guess you could say Dave Simpson (though it was only in training, and was very short time really).

I have also played against a guy named Ricky Charles, who recently scored a hat-trick in World Cup Qualifying for Granada. PLayed against a former Man Utd Centre half, and a former Norwegian Under 20 (who taught me a lesson when I was an 18 year old centre back, and he was 27/28 year old striker). There are a couple of more MLS and USL players, but those are the big ones I would say.

Sorry if that was a bit of an essay.... didnt mean for it to be... just ended up that way.

Archived