Canada vs. Guatemala on TV?

Alex

I have some bad news. I e-mail Sportsnet in the morning and they already e-mailed me back.

This is how the story went....

>Comments:

>Hey, I was wondering if you guys will be airing the Canadian soccer game on the 17th? Thanks and also are there any plans of showing A-League soccer in the summer, Impact, Whitecaps?

>

>Hello Mike,

>

>Thank you for your recent email. Unfortunately, we do not have the

>broadcasting rights for the Canadian soccer game on the 17th. To answer

>your second question, plans with regards to broadcasting A-League games

>this coming summer have yet to be decided. I hope this helps.

>

>Sincerely

>Jim LaChapelle

>Audience Relations

>1-877-288-7767

Dear Jim LaChapelle,

Sportsnet should seriously look into obtain the broadcasting rights for the Canada game. Many many viewers are sick of seen Canadian soccer been thrown around! In protest I am only going to be watching Sportsnet when CANADIAN SOCCER is been aired or for A-League soccer games. I hope this message can be passed on, because there are many people out there that are doing the same thing as me. Thanks

-------------------------------------

Tell sportsnet how you feel. Tell them you want Candian National Soccer and A-LEAGUE SOCCER!!!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/features/contactus/index.jsp

Well, in the US the rights are to: Circuito Cerrado

Wed Nov 17 06:15PM Pacific

Wed Nov 17 07:15PM Mountain

Wed Nov 17 08:15PM Central

Wed Nov 17 09:15PM Eastern

Length: 2 hr LIVE

Circuito Cerrado (Closed-circuit TV - 1-888-868-8949 or 1-305-248-9373)

World Cup Qualifying - CONCACAF/Eliminatoria CONCACAF

Guatemala vs Canada

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

They do seem to be showing the U-19 girls all the way from thailand though.

It's truly mindboggling.

I expect it is a matter of economics.

Thailand is probably providing the feed at a pittance (or possibly free) as a FIFA policy of increasing exposure to women's soccer, as well as Thailand promoting their country as a tourist destination and for other publicity. And, Sportsnet is not competing with pay-per-view or broadcasters for the rights anywhere.

The Central American associations depend on sales of tv rights to the gringo ex-pat market for support. Sportsnet probably could not get the Guatemala feed at a sensible price, especially if it was a meaningless match to be tape-delayed because the Raptor's match against Denver will be broadcast that evening. That's wrong, but that's life.

The CSA can give rights to broadcast in Canada only for matches originating here, so it is not really their fault.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Someone should e-mail the CBC to see if they can pic up the rights.

Since no one else has them, here would be a perfect time to get some Canadian content on the Network.

We can discuss the other networks (TSN and Sportnet) but we should focus on the CBC.

We are probably the only country in FIFA in this situation. I say what are you going to do about it?

Talk or ACT?

Here is the response I received from the Prime Ministers office.

On behalf of the Prime Minister, I would like to acknowledge receipt of

your recent e-mail correspondence regarding the Canadian Broadcasting

Corporation (CBC), and Amateur Sport.

You may be assured that your thoughts on the CBC's contribution to

Canadian culture have been carefully reviewed. As the issue you have

raised falls within the portfolios of the Honourable Liza Frulla,

Minister of Canadian Heritage, and the Honourable Stephen Owen, Minister

of State (Sport), I have taken the liberty of forwarding your e-mail to

the Ministers so that they may be made aware of your views.

Thank you for writing to the Prime Minister.

P. Monteith

Executive Correspondence Officer

Agent de correspondance

de la haute direction

This was in resonse to the following email I sent them:

October 13, 2004

Dear Prime Minister,

A group of Candians will gather today in Vancouver to compete for

Canada.

This group is our National Soccer Team.

At the same time Canadians, refugees, landed immigrants, and visitors to Canada will have the opportunity to cheer for their country as long as it is not Canada.

Canada's television, radio and the internet technology will be used

matches to broadcast the World Cup Qualifiers of most of these other here in Canada.

Canadians do not have this opportunity.

Almost every other country in the world has a national broadcaster or commercial broadcaster that will enable their citizens to cheer for

their home team.

I do know that we are a country who love our National teams as proven

when we cheered on the boys during the just completed World Cup of hockey.

This was a great day for Canadians from sea to sea for a common cause.

What disturbs me is we have over 800,000 boys and girls who love soccer but do not have the opportunity to cheer for their home team.

Neither do the parents of these children and other Canadians such as my 81 year old mother.

The boys and girls registration money help fund our Canadian Soccer

Association who organise our National teams.

At the same time Canadians are funding an average of $29.00 per person

to the CBC and Radio Canada.

The CBC and Radio Canada have a specific mandate to ensure programming

serves all Canadians.

The purpose of my letter is to inform your office of this situation.

I am not asking you for any assistance at this time.

I do trust that you may be interested in changing this situation.

I am taking the initiative to ensure that Canadians will no longer be

deprived of cheering for the home team.

I suggest you send your comments to your local MP and the CBC.

The fact is we can have an effect on decsions being made if we stand up and demand what we want. To remain silent serves no purpose.

I'd say this is as much an issue with the CSA, and an on going one at that, as it is with us. Or should be. SportsNet is undermining the product and promotion of the product.

SportsNet is also showing an unwillingness to pay anything but the bare bottom dollar for the feeds from overseas. If the coverage SportsNet has given to the NT this last round isn't reason enough for the CSA to dump SportsNet as the priority broadcaster than the CSA needs a different lawyer negotiating these contracts 'cause this is rubbish.

Like the CBC angle. Let the e-mails begin!

(Probably too late now for the Guat match, but you got to think of the future).

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

TSN needs to pick up teh rights once Sportsnet's contract expires. This is ridiculous. Tape-delay for important games and NONE AT ALL for our final WCQ?

Overall, the coverage in recent years has gone from bad to worst and over the whole term of the contract, RSN has been quite a dissapointment. I don't know how much better TSN would be but at least TSN isn't part of an ownership group that includes a sports team. Getting tape delay for WCQ matches is massive disappointment especially when priority is given to a september ball game of no significance. Equally bad, is ignoring almost entirelty the U20 WC.

Having said that, the Nov 17 match is meaningless. Its hard to get motivated to watch that and very few will watch. Its tough to make a case for why it should be aired.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

TSN needs to pick up teh rights once Sportsnet's contract expires. This is ridiculous. Tape-delay for important games and NONE AT ALL for our final WCQ?

Overall, the coverage in recent years has gone from bad to worst and over the whole term of the contract, RSN has been quite a dissapointment. I don't know how much better TSN would be but at least TSN isn't part of an ownership group that includes a sports team. Getting tape delay for WCQ matches is massive disappointment especially when priority is given to a september ball game of no significance. Equally bad, is ignoring almost entirelty the U20 WC.

Having said that, the Nov 17 match is meaningless. Its hard to get motivated to watch that and very few will watch. Its tough to make a case for why it should be aired.

Argh, raw nerve struck here. We in Canada simply don't have sufficient currency in the soccer piggy bank to be slagging off English 3rd and 4th division full time teams. It should also be noted that many of these so called crappy lower division teams continue to nurture and develop some of the best soccer talent that Canada is capable of producing. Ian Hume, Jim Brennan, Jason DeVos for example.

It would be great if we saw some of our Canadian boys in FA Cup action.

Archived