US Presidential election

RS

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

*yawn* I've already went thru this. People who voted for Bush are too busy praising the (non-existent) Lord, too busy buying Lotto tickets, too busy at the Off-Track Betting joint, too busy having sex with their cousins, too busy growing a mustache, driving their pickup truck, shooting beer cans off a tree trunk.... there're not talking to you on the internet...

That being said, we all know that if Bush was Canadian and ran for Canadian Prime Minister he'd probably win. Too many red-necks up there too... I mean in spite of Bush's incompetence the American economy is still leaps and bounds better than Canada's ... guess why? ... yup cuz Canada has had like 5 Bush's.

I love Canada but at the same time I'm a big advocate of the brain-drain. You gotta pay your people what they're worth. to anybody with a university degree in Canada: what are you still doing up there? You could make 50% more starting tomorrow by doing the same kinda-work in the States thanx to the NAFTA.... and you don't have to hear about the bloody Maple Leafs choking every single year .... most peole think you need a VISA ... nope ... you'll thank me later...

Easy now, chum. I'm on your side.

I agree with everything you just said, so don't give me the *yawn*. You're absolutely correct about the proliferation of red-necks in Canada: they're everywhere. And yes, chances are that most of the Americans I deal with, whether for work or personal life, vote Democrat.

Sorry, I guess I just don't see where we disagree.

(But my cousin *is* pretty hot.)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because many of the republican states are not living in present time. I mean they've done away with the horse and buggy in just about all 50 states (not sure about Alabama), but they're still living in the 30's - 40's in the way they think and live. So where do you think the people are that you are chatting with on the internet and where do you think the people are from that you would bump in-to in Germany? --> Democratic states.

Thats what I thought first, high educated and people with an open mind travel and use the internet more than the opposite, but I couldn't believe that there are so many cowboys living in the 1930s: how many millions were voting for Bush?!? Not all of them can be that narrow-minded and old fashioned! But now that you say, so I have to believe it!

That being said, we all know that if Bush was Canadian and ran for Canadian Prime Minister he'd probably win. Too many red-necks up there too... I mean in spite of Bush's incompetence the American economy is still leaps and bounds better than Canada's ... guess why? ... yup cuz Canada has had like 5 Bush's.

I totally disagree. Canada would never, not in a million years, elect Bush. The political cultures are just too different; Canada is just too Liberal.

Look at the most recent Canadian election. If there was ever a time for the Conservatives to retake power, it was now:

- No longer was the right plagued by a delusional, bible-thumping ideologue.

- The right had finally been united.

- The Liberals, after years of stagnation, were knee-deep in the sponsorship scandal.

In any other country, this would signal the tides of change. But not Canada. Despite the stars being aligned for the Candaian-right, Canadians - *still* - were not comfortable voting in a Conservative leader.

If the Canadian right ever ran in the states (hypothetically of course) they'd probably be perceived, at the least, as a centralist party. Yet in Canada they're perceived by many as some type of symbol of what's wrong with rightist politics.

Again, it's just a different political culture.

I love Canada but at the same time I'm a big advocate of the brain-drain. You gotta pay your people what they're worth. to anybody with a university degree in Canada: what are you still doing up there? You could make 50% more starting tomorrow by doing the same kinda-work in the States thanx to the NAFTA.... and you don't have to hear about the bloody Maple Leafs choking every single year .... most peole think you need a VISA ... nope ... you'll thank me later...

Isn't Bush running record deficits? Canada has been repeatedly balancing the federal budget and lately has surpluses. Also, and maybe someone with an economics background can confirm or refute this, but I believe Canada's economy topped the G-8 in relative growth during the nineties. The US has a bigger economy, but it also has a far bigger population, so that seems to make sense (as far as developed nations go, anyway). As far as better goes, I think you'd have to define the term better.

And as far as taking my university degree to the US, not a chance. I'll gladly make less and pay higher taxes at home. There's more to life than money, and I would NEVER want to live in American society, no matter how big the payoff.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Mulroney basically continued this policy of deficit financing.

....And how can that be Trudeau's fault if Mulroney continued what Trudeau started. Sorry that's just plain and simple. Rubbish.

Well...the guy before me jumped off a bridge, it looked like fun so I gave it a try...for some reason it didn't work out as well.

The part of Mulroney's deficit that resulted from payments made on Trudeau's debt is in my opinion Trudeau's fault. The other part of Mulroney's debt is his own fault. Nowhere did I state that Mulroney doesn't deserve his portion of the blame for the national debt. They both deserve their portion of the blame, however, it seems much easier to blame the unpopular Mulroney than the popular Trudeau. I prefer Trudeau to Mulroney as well but one has to look at things objectively. I think Trudeau's policy achievements are often overrated due to the simple fact that unlike earlier Prime Ministers he wasn't actually paying in full for the programs he instituted.

quote:Originally posted by Glenn

Isn't Bush running record deficits? Canada has been repeatedly balancing the federal budget and lately has surpluses. Also, and maybe someone with an economics background can confirm or refute this, but I believe Canada's economy topped the G-8 in relative growth during the nineties. The US has a bigger economy, but it also has a far bigger population, so that seems to make sense (as far as developed nations go, anyway). As far as better goes, I think you'd have to define the term better.

And as far as taking my university degree to the US, not a chance. I'll gladly make less and pay higher taxes at home. There's more to life than money, and I would NEVER want to live in American society, no matter how big the payoff.

You're practically there already, pal. One major difference is that down here you can get a doggy bag, a cold case of beer and a volume discount. Change for a c note is not a big deal down here. The order difference is that American athletes do take pride in playing for their country.

Let's be honest: Toronto isn't exactly Uranium City.

I live in Colorado (unfortunately), and I'm planning on moving to Seattle, WA after I finish up college.

If things still don't improve and Bush continues to steer this country even further to the right, then my girlfriend and I are moving up to Vancouver, BC. We've already discussed this. I mean I know that Washington normally votes democrat but if you look at the per-county votes, only the Seattle metro area, Tacoma, and maybe a few other towns voted democrat. The rest of the state all voted republican. I'm sorry but I just can't really understand the conservative way of thinking at all, as much as I've tried to.

Oh...and if I move out of the country, then unless Canada goes mad on me and moves extremely to the right like the U.S., we're gonna apply for Canadian citizenship as well. Once I'm gone....I'm gone.

quote:Originally posted by Glenn

Meh, you're overrating the difference b/w the 2 countries. As laughable as it is when Americans come to Canada with their skiies and/or showshoes in July (NOT a myth - it actually does happen), the fact remains that many Canadians think they're gonna get murdered or something the minute they cross the border. ... Bottom line: Both countries have ZERO culture (unless you think hanging-out at the local McDonalds (or Harvey's) is an enriching experience).... And like I've always said,... from a sports POV, Canada is the 51st state. You can watch 42 Houston Rockets games on basic cable in Toronto this year. Yeah, lets just eat up whatever the U.S. is shovelling.... sorry to break this to you but Toronto isn't that unique.

Archived