US Presidential election

RS

Looks like this one is going down to the wire.

Bush jumped out to an early lead as the usual republican stronghold states had reported in first, although Kerry just about even it up, and now it appears that he has won the swing state of Pennsylvania.

It looks like this election will be decided by the voters of Ohio and Florida. Let's just hope the Floridians have learned to count over the past 4 years.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how can so many people still vote for bush? irregardless of his pro-war stance, you just have to look at the massive mistakes he's made personally and professionally in the past to dismiss him. if that's not enough, look at his current gaffe's ie/the terror he has inflicted on the environment and the state of ruin he has put the american job market into and the american economy's state of affairs is also a massive indicator of why NOT to vote for bush. i really do not understand the ignorance people show all over the world.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

how can so many people still vote for bush? irregardless of his pro-war stance, you just have to look at the massive mistakes he's made personally and professionally in the past to dismiss him. if that's not enough, look at his current gaffe's ie/the terror he has inflicted on the environment and the state of ruin he has put the american job market into and the american economy's state of affairs is also a massive indicator of why NOT to vote for bush. i really do not understand the ignorance people show all over the world.

Many were eager for a challenger with substance but unfortunately the Democratic Party failed to provide one. While it was has been said that many who voted for Kerry were really voting against Bush, the obverse is also the case. The Democrats have the annoying tendency to mock Middle America and sow pesssmistic, overly pessimistic, views of society. I have no problem with realism nor do the American people. But the Democrats appear to rejoice in pessimism. It's biting them in the butt.

Not all votes for Bush were pats on the back. Many were kicks in the ass. A lot of work needs to be done domestically and in sorting things with our allies.

Sorry, gang. But to many, Kerry failed to convince. Here's to better times and a more enlightened Bush administration.

See you all at the Condolleeza-Hillary contest in 2008.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The US really needs to get the American Idol people on the job, there is no way it should take this long to figure out who won. Again.

I'd like to remind you that the United States has roughly ten times Canada's population and twice that of Russia. Things can get messy with that kind of mob on your hands. They got it right without tanks in the street. I can live with it.

quote:Originally posted by Bangoutoforder

See you all at the Condolleeza-Hillary contest in 2008.

Condolleeza? I was hoping for a tough as nails, irrascible Cheney-O'Reilly ticket for the Republicans in 2008, with maybe a Dean-Franken or H. Clinton-Franken Democrat ticket. The debates would be a hoot!

I'd like to remind you that the United States has roughly ten times Canada's population and twice that of Russia. Things can get messy with that kind of mob on your hands. They got it right without tanks in the street. I can live with it.

Maybe the US should have a parliamentary system of first to the post .

Can you see a minority gov't .

Truthfully we up in the great white north or maybe it's me don't really understand your system . Good luck on the re-counts . I'm not American so I couldn't paricipate but as some-one once said Canadians would always vote Democrate ;)

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

Condolleeza? I was hoping for a tough as nails, irrascible Cheney-O'Reilly ticket for the Republicans in 2008, with maybe a Dean-Franken or H. Clinton-Franken Democrat ticket. The debates would be a hoot!

We are good for a laugh after all, aren't we? O'Reilly, by the way, is not a Republican. Nor is he a Democrat. He is a classic no-nonsense Irish-American, though. The great irony is that so many have become defenders of the Anglo-Protestant culture in the States (Buckley, McLaughlin, Buchanan,etc.). In fact, they're the only defenders.

Here's to getting along, guys. And if you lot did your job we could settle things on the footy pitch. What's wrong with you?

if that's not enough, look at his current gaffe's ie/the terror he has inflicted on the environment and the state of ruin he has put the american job market into and the american economy's state of affairs is also a massive indicator of why NOT to vote for bush. i really do not understand the ignorance people show all over the world.

Well, Bush has successfully brainwashed many people into thinking terrorism is the major issue facing America. Despite the fact that someone in America is more likely to win the $10 million lotto jackpot than become a victim of terrorism. Meanwhile, the economy and other domestic issues that affect everyone is put on the back-burner indefinitely.

Does anyone else notice that there exists a clear relationship between %age of vote going to the democrats and the average IQ of a state? Look at the states Bush won! They shouldn’t even count. Muppet states.

Al Franken? Isn't he the guy who played Stuart Smalley on Saturday Night Live?

I can just see it now. "America: You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, the world likes you!"

That's one thing I prefer about Canadian politics: not as many former celebrities trying to get into "serious" politics. The last thing we need is Don Cherry running for Conservative Party Leader, only to be challenged by Mike Myers of the Liberals.

More on topic: I always assumed it would be a Giuliani-Clinton race in 2008. Giuliani is just about the closest thing to a Democrat that the Republicans can muster, and Hillary is the only real trump card the Democrats have left.

I understand that, but in this day of high-speed computers and instant gratification, why does it still take so long to figure out who the hell won in Ohio?

While I'm on the subject, I never understood why each state is allowed to have its own set of rules for a federal election. Maybe I'm thinking about something else.

The US may have ten times the population to vote but that also means that they should have 10 times the number of people available to count. There are still ballots that will not be counted until tomorrow (if at all). There is no excuse for this, the US goes around the world lecturing (and bombing) people about democracy but runs their elections in a completely amateur fashion like a banana republic. Not only does every state have different rules and procedures but every county has different rules and procedures, one of many violations of democratic principal. Whether they got it right or not is pretty hard to verify especially with the electronic voting used in some locales particularly Florida which gave no paper receipt. One wonders whether the many inefficiencies in the system are not actually put in place on purpose as it makes it much easier to cheat.

No doubt Kerry was a weak candidate although Bush would have also been seen as an extrememly weak candidate in almost every other western nation. Unfortunately in a two party system there is little choice. Nadar put it best last night when he said the US was a two party dictatorship.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Al Franken? Isn't he the guy who played Stuart Smalley on Saturday Night Live?

I can just see it now. "America: You're good enough, you're smart enough, and gosh darn it, the world likes you!"

Franken does radio on Air America now, i think its a Liberal Radio Station that was basically constructed too counter the Right Wing voices of Limbaugh and perhaps O'Reilly, though someone above mentioned that O'Reilly does not consider himself a gun-toten Republican. Wrote a book titled "Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot".

Janeane Garofallo has a show on the radio station.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The US may have ten times the population to vote but that also means that they should have 10 times the number of people available to count. There are still ballots that will not be counted until tomorrow (if at all). There is no excuse for this, the US goes around the world lecturing (and bombing) people about democracy but runs their elections in a completely amateur fashion like a banana republic. Not only does every state have different rules and procedures but every county has different rules and procedures, one of many violations of democratic principal. Whether they got it right or not is pretty hard to verify especially with the electronic voting used in some locales particularly Florida which gave no paper receipt. No doubt Kerry was a weak candidate although Bush would have also been seen as an extrememly weak candidate in almost every other western nation. Unfortunately in a two party system there is little choice. Nadar put it best last night when he said the US was a two party dictatorship.

Absolutely. That we fail to live up to our utopian ideals does meant that we've abandoned our principles. But we are fortunate to have angelic neighbors to set the example.

Thats so right what you're saying! But who are all these people voting for Bush? These reasons are so obvious, you don't need a specific knowledge of anything to see that! I don't get to talk to Americans in "old Europe" like Mr.Rumsfeld put it, but all the 20 people I met in the last months and I talked to in online chats or forums said that they are voting for Kerry. So how can that be?

I think this election discredits the USA in general much more than the attack on Iraq or other mistakes. So far, they elected one man and he made mistakes then, but now they showed me, that they didn't care about these mistakes, that they are too ... dunno... ignorant to see these mistakes and come to the right conclusion. They had the chance to show the world that they care but they missed it in a horrible way. My anger is not all about Iraq, even in domestic politics Bush made big mistakes what we in Europe know. Why does the majority of American voters ignore these facts!?! I don't get it!

BTW, Bettermirror, what do you mean by saying "all over the world?"

George W. Bush gives hope to stupid people all over the world, or at least stupid people with money.

It's a pretty sad turn of events. To paraphrase the greatest mind of our time, Noam Chomsky, "The best way to stop terrorism is stop participating in it." Words that are so simple, yet so profound. If Mr. Bush doesn't learn from the past 4 years, the chaos that he has created can only get worse.

On a lighter note, did someone say Bill O'Reilly?:

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=bill_oreilly

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Barack Obama is the first in line for the Dems in 2008. He killed for Illinois Senate, something like 80%.

Obama won big thanks in part to the implosion of the Illinois Republican Party. Their original candidate was Jack Ryan, who was married to actress Jerri Ryan. His campaign was sunk by the contents of their divorce, which was quite surprising to say the least.

Obama is nowhere near what the Dems need in a candidate. Best bet now is New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson

Archived