Brennan starts EPL vs Man City

Ashton Gate

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

why is is starting all of a sudden after not even being dressed for so long!?

No wins in 10 league games and elimination from Carling Cup may just have the manager trying something different. Can't hurt at this point.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

why is is starting all of a sudden after not even being dressed for so long!?

No wins in 10 league games and elimination from Carling Cup may just have the manager trying something different. Can't hurt at this point.

Up to now, Drury (club skipper) has been preferred on the left hand side, however he got injured in the last match. Brennan has been playing regularly and well for the reserves, he got his chance tonight and Norwich stuck it out for a gritty away point. Knowledgeable Voyageurs can correct me, but I believe Jim Brennan is the first Canadian born outfield player to play a full 90 minutes in the English Premiership. Good news for Canadian soccer at last! Mind you 3 cheers for Bristol City for helping develop the lad too!!

quote:Originally posted by Ashton Gate

Brennan has been playing regularly and well for the reserves

Gee Frank, why the fcuk didn't you use him in WCQ. Playing for the reservse of a EPL is better than most of the other players on our MNT team were doing. I want Frank gone or a dam good explanation why Jim, one of our most seasoned players, was not used. I am so sick of this Siht.

from soccernet:

"The Norwich attack had not been entirely muted but the visitors looked low on confidence and as Keegan delivered his half-time words of wisdom, he could not have anticipated the lightening start Norwich would make to the second period.

Danny Mills should really have cut out Jim Brennan's long punt to the edge of the City area but having failed to do so, it left Richard Dunne to battle for possession with Matt Svensson.

Dunne actually won it but succeeded only in toeing the ball straight into the path of on-rushing Francis, who gleefully steered a first-time shot past a previously under-worked David James."

I'm happy to see Jim Brennan in his EPL debut. I believe Ashton Gate is correct, as the Rat is not Cdn born and the one and only Craig Forrest was between the pipes in his EPL games. Jim now has two firsts to his name, as I believe he is the only Cdn to be named to a Confederations Cup all-star team (as a sub, mind you).

Brennan played decently. Got burned on defense a couple of times, but one time it was Wright-Philips just outpacing him. He also wasn't getting much defensive help from Norwich's left winger, Huckerby. His passing and crossing was a little better, and certainly Canada could've used those crosses during qualification. Overall, for his first game in the EPL, you'd have to call it a success. Hopefully, he gets more playing time the rest of the season.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I'm happy to see Jim Brennan in his EPL debut. I believe Ashton Gate is correct, as the Rat is not Cdn born and the one and only Craig Forrest was between the pipes in his EPL games. Jim now has two firsts to his name, as I believe he is the only Cdn to be named to a Confederations Cup all-star team (as a sub, mind you).

Terry Dunfield also played in the EPL. Although I believe it was for only a half. But he did get an assist IIRC.

As ballboy pointed out, a good way to follow the Brennan story is at the "PinkUn", just google it will do the trick. Also try googling Brennan Norwich reserves for reports on previous reserve outings. Next match is an important one vs Blackburn. Hopefully Worthington will keep his defence unchanged.

So Brennan goes from not even making Canada's team to one of it's best players because he played in the Premiership... Honestly I like Yallop, but I wish he would have seen Brennan's quality instead of just looking at where he was playing (reserves at the time).

Premiership-quality Brennan would have been much better than Charlston Battery-quality watson

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Premiership-quality Brennan would have been much better than Charlston Battery-quality watson

Well, yes, although I'll make a rare defense of Watson and say that given their totally different positions it wasn't exactly a choice between the two of them. Though there are a lot of other players we could have played in centre-back instead, that's for sure......and I think Watson's inclusion hurt us more than Brennan's exclusion, though I too would have liked to see him invovled in the semi-final round.

Funny how Canada gets eliminated from WCQ then a couple weeks later the guy we are b!chting for to get an international callup, gets his first start in the EPL.

Hopefully he can create himself a place in the first team. Yallop won't look too smart in my eyes if that happens.

The best of luck to Jim!

Good news: Brennan gets praise of his manager and is close to another EPL start versus Blackburn on Saturday:

05 November 2004

Drury remains a doubt

Nigel Worthington says Adam Drury will be back in action soon but he doesn't know if he will be ready for tomorrow's crucial clash against fellow strugglers Blackburn.

The City captain missed Monday's 1-1 draw at Manchester City with a hamstring strain sustained during the Carling Cup defeat at Newcastle the previous week.

He's also rated a doubt for the weekend but was being put through his paces at the Colney training ground yesterday and could yet make a swift return to action.

Adam is making good progress, said his manager. It's a strain rather than a pull so he should be back sooner rather than later. But it's too early to say whether he will be available at the weekend?

Drury will return to the starting line-up in place of Jim Brennan if he is fit but Worthington won't have another worries if the Canadian international is required to deputise again.

Jim did a good job in Adam's absence the other night and that is what having a squad is all about,players being ready to come in and perform if required, he said. If Adam doesn't make it Jim will play there again on Saturday.

With third-choice keeper Paul Gallacher the only other injury worry he has a minor ankle problem Worthington is likely to stick with an unchanged side.

He refused to confirm whether he would be repeating his ploy of playing Darren Huckerby on the left alongside two front-line strikers in the shape of Leon McKenzie and Mathias Svensson. But it would be something of a surprise if he abandoned those attacking tactics after two games against a side with the worst defensive record in the Premiership.

Archived