Paul Munster update

• 3 weeks later...

I'll try to help you out Sigma.

First sentence roughly states that Slavia has offered Irish striker Paul Munster a contract for the rest of the season.

Second sentence: they sent a request to Canada, i'm assuming Munster's old club, to release him.

Third sentence: He is further considering (thinking over)the 'pay terms' (I'm assuming contract)with his advisors stated A team manager (No, not Hannibal) Josef Jinoch.

Fourth sentence: We're waiting for his reply.

Fifth sentence: "It's on a good road, he could be here next week" added Jinoch.

You got the general gist Sigma, just fleshed it out for ya.

Hey Sigma, no problem about the help. Basically a Slovak speaker as a second language through heritage. The translation from Czech to Slovak to English isn't too difficult. I can see how the Czech can be lost, Slavic languages can be difficult. Some words in slovak have no vowels, like the word for quarter - Štvrt! [:0]

No not a Sparta supporter, oddly the 'sparta' reference is more historical.

Maj dobry den Sigma!

edit:the 'n' in den should have a 'v' diacritic over it, but the board wouldn't take it, hence the regular 'n'.

Slavia Prague signs striker Paul Munster from London City of CPSL

TORONTO (CP) -- Paul Munster, a striker for London City in the Canadian Professional Soccer League, has been signed by Czech powerhouse Slavia Prague, the CPSL reported Friday.

Munster will play his first game Saturday against Chmel Blsany F.C. in the Czech Republic's top division.

Munster, who was born in Northern Ireland and lives in Kitchener, Ont., led the CPSL in scoring last season with 25 goals -- 10 more than the second-highest scorer.

Slavia Prague is one of the top teams in the Czech Republic and frequently qualifies for the elite European Champions League tournament.

http://slam.canoe.ca/CPSportsTicker/CANOE-wire.SOC-Czech-Munster.html

so now we know...

CPSL

For Immediate Release

PAUL MUNSTER SIGNED BY SLAVIA PRAGUE

TORONTO—Friday, November 19--Paul Munster, the 22 year old striker from London City in the Canadian Professional Soccer League has been signed by Slavia Prague and will play his first game Saturday against Chmel Blsany F.C. in the Czech Republic’s top division.

Munster, who is Northern Ireland-born and calls Kitchener, Ontario his home, has been in Prague for the past six weeks following his busy season in the CPSL where he ended the 2004 campaign as the league’s leading scorer with 25 goals, 10 more than the second place scorer.

Slavia Prague is one of the top two teams in the Czech Republic, the other being Sparta Prague and both team have been busy in European Champions League competition over the years.

Slavia Prague has produced top players Patrick Berger, Vladimir Smicer and Karel Poborsky, all signed by some of the top clubs in Europe.

Munster suffered serious ligament damage in his right knee three years ago and was not expected to play serious soccer again until London City’s Harry Gauss took him into the reserve squad, then a quick move to the pro team where he was an instant hit.

Fans considered Munster outstanding and Harry Gauss said he was ‘the Real Deal.’

Slavia Prague coach Josef Csaplara was said to be pleased with Munster’s trials and had no hesitation in moving the Canadian striker straight into the first team.

Gauss was instrumental in gaining official clearance from the Canadian Soccer Association for Munster to play on Saturday following some last minute hitches that held up the approvals.

“But it has all been worth it, I’m delighted for Paul and I know he will do well,” said the London City general manager after working the telephones both sides of the Atlantic since the early hours of Friday morning.

For more information, please contact Stan Adamson, Media at the Canadian Professional Soccer League (905) 856-5439 or Harry Gauss at London City

(519)432-2489

I wonder how long the CPSL will keep this up? When they realize he's not coming back to play in Canada?

For Immediate Release

CPSL’S ROOKIE OF THE YEAR PLAYS FOR TOP CZECH TEAM SATURDAY

TORONTO—Sunday, November 21--Paul Munster, the London City striker, leading goalscorer and Rookie of the Year in the Canadian Professional Soccer League, played his first game for Slavia Prague in a 3-0 away win over FK Chmel Blsany at the Zizkov Stadium in the Czech Republic Saturday.

Munster was put into the game as a substitute for Slavia forward E. Adauto Da Silva at the 74th minute mark in heavy ground conditions following rain and light snow during the 24 hours before kickoff.

Munster, 22, from Northern Ireland who now lives in Kitchener, Ontario, was in the play several times for the remainder of the game and just failed to add to the 3-0 lead near the end of the game.

But the Czech media made more of history being made of the first ever Irishman to play for the Prague side.

The 3-0 away win was an important one for Slavia Prague, now third in the 16-team top division in the Czech Republic.

The official club Web site quoted the following comments from the coaching staff after the game:

‘Paul, I liked the way you played, straightforward, passing the ball away to the others Just forget the chance, you will score a more important goal. I am proud we have a player from Northern Ireland Good luck, keep working!’

Another interview, in part:

Are you glad you played for the first time today?

MUNSTER: Yes I am. I had not a game for five or six weeks, that is why I am glad to get fifteen minutes on the pitch.

You got into a very good chance at the end of the match...

MUNSTER: Yes, it was a very good chance there, the guys were saying I was offside, but I still should have scored. The surface was hard, (difficult, cutting up and slippery-Ed.) I was trying to keep my balance.

The other players came to you, what did they say?

MUNSTER: They all told me ‘You were offside, do not worry about it, you will score in the next game.’

Munster suffered serious ligament damage in his right knee three years ago and was not expected to play serious soccer again until London City’s Harry Gauss took him into the reserve squad, then a quick move to the pro team where he was an instant hit.

He was the most prolific goalscorer in the CPSL in 2004 with 25 goals, 10 more than the next scorer.

Fans considered Munster outstanding and Harry Gauss said he was ‘the Real Deal.’

Slavia Prague coach Josef Csaplara was said to be pleased with Munster’s trials and had no hesitation in moving the Canadian striker straight into the first team on Saturday.

Gauss was instrumental in gaining official clearance from the Canadian Soccer Association for Munster to play on Saturday following some last minute hitches that held up the approvals reaching Prague late Friday.

From the slavia website:

First Match for Paul Munster in Slavia11/21/2004Saturday was a special day as regards Slavia history. Very probably the first ever footballer from Northern Ireland played in the red-white jersey. Paul Munster substituted in the 74th minute of the match. At the end he got into a good chance, missed, but the goal would not have stood anyway as he was offside. So he will have to wait for his first goal for the next time. Paul gave his first post-match interview to our website. We hope we managed to write down everything correctly, as Paul is learning Czech, we will have to get used to his Irish accent!

Are you glad you played for the first time today?

Yes I am. I had not a game for five or six weeks, that is why I am glad to get fifteen minutes on the pitch.

You got into a very good chance at the end of the match...

Yes, it was a very good chance there, the guys were saying I was offside, but I still should have scored. The surface was hard, I was trying to keep my balance.

The other players came to you, what did they say?

They all told me "You were offside, do not worry about it, you will score in the next game."

Was the pitch really hard to play?

I actually never played on snowy pitch. The conditions, I was not bothered, because in Ireland we also have cold weather, but the surface, I do not think I have ever played on such hard pitch. At the start when I walk in I was thinking I would get used to it, the others were playing. But later I was watching where I was running, I want to play games, not to get injured. But it was good, I am glad I got fifteen minutes of play.

Can you compare the Canadian league to the Czech one?

It is different, the Czech league is far better.

Are there any foreign players in Canadian league?

In our team we actually had a couple of ex-Portuguese players, there are some retired players from Europe, some players come to play for a three four months, when they are released from their contracts. In Canada it is not a bad standard, but the Czech league is the standard I wonna be at. I just need a couple of games and I feel better and chances like the one I had today will be going into the net.

How do you communicate with the other players?

I actually have some stuff with football vocabulary. "Vystrel" is shoot for example. Ty - is you, different things, I have only started learning the Czech language. It is not an easy one.

It is actually "vystrel". Do the players make fun of you sometimes, when you try to pronounce something?

Sometimes, but this does not bother me, they help me a lot. I help them with English, some guys want to learn some English.

Do you like Prague? What do you do in your free time?

I like it here, but you know at the moment I am just passing all the sights, my main concern is just football. I train hard, and I want to get into the team and get as much games as I can. In my free time I am trying to do some sightseeing though, because my friends from Ireland and friends from Canada want to come and visit me.

Where are you living?

I am actually living close to the stadium in an apartment. It just a couple of minutes to get to the training.

Did you visit an Irish pub here?

Not yet, but I will go, when my family and friends come over.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Is Munster eligible to play for Canada? This has never been made clear. I'm not sure whether to move this thread to the national team section.

http://www.slavia.cz/novinka.asp?id=10399&typ=

This is a link to an online interview for anyone still following this story. Someone towards the end asks the question of Munster's desire of playing for Ireland, in which an almost definitive answer is given. The interview questions are rather tame, innocuous and bland, which i think is mainly due to the lack of a cogent Supertramp or favourite Trabant colour question. But, perhaps Mr. Munster redeems the interview on a question about girls with the rather randy response of "when i start scoring, they will come". Indeed Paul, indeed.

http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/sport/story.jsp?story=587603

Football: Czech this out!

Belfast boy Munster set bo be a big hit with Slavia Prague

By Grant Cameron

28 November 2004

PAUL Munster plans to do his bit to lure more visitors to picturesque Prague with a high-flying service that nets the right result.

The Belfast man is keeping his fingers crossed that Lawrie Sanchez will utilise the low cost flights option to "Czech" out his credentials for Northern Ireland.

The 22-year-old striker signed for Slavia Prague last week and made his debut at the weekend in a 3-0 win at Chmel Blsany in the Czech Republic's Premier Division.

It's a remarkable story considering he took the long way round to get there - via Canada!

Munster, top scorer with Ontario club London City in the Canadian Professional Soccer League, has defied the odds and bounced back from a knee injury nightmare to find his niche in an unlikely European destination.

Speaking from Prague he said last night: "I want to establish myself in the Slavia team and develop my career. I'd love to play for Northern Ireland but I know it is going to take a lot of hard work to make it. I'm really focused on it though."

Paul and younger brother Darren both played in the green jersey at the Milk Cup a few years ago and like Darren, back home after a spell with Nottingham Forest, he has had to battle hard to overcome severely damaging his interior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

The former Leisure and Tourism student explained: "I was with Cliftonville about five years ago and got the chance to go to Canada on a Leadership Programme. I did a little coaching there but came home for a short spell to have keyhole surgery on my knee.

"When I went back I was asked to play for the London City club and they put me in the reserves where I managed 12 goals in three games. When the manager drafted me into the first team I did pretty well, scoring 25 times!"

Munster was in fact the League's top marksman by a mile and by this stage the scouts were beating a path to Ontario to watch him.

He added: "I owe a lot to City coach Harry Gauss who encouraged me after the surgery because there was a time when I thought I wouldn't be able to play again. But things just took off from the moment I played for them and when Harry told me that there were quite a few scouts coming to watch me I knew it was my big chance.

"I suppose people might think moving to the Czech Republic was a strange choice but Slavia were the first to come to me and make an offer of a three-week trial. I jumped at it and again things just happened so quickly.

"I was told the coach here doesn't sign players until he has seen them play but I must have done enough in training to impress him and I was offered a contract to next June. I signed it last Friday week and was in the squad for the game the next day.

"What was even better was getting on as a substitute first time off and we won which was terrific!"

Language

Now settling into his apartment in the city, just two minutes walk from the stadium, Munster is determined to learn the language: "I suppose 'goal' is the word that is recognisable in any language but I am picking up other football phrases and one or two other words from the players.

"I teach them some English and they help me so we are all learning from each other but I'm still finding it hard to pronounce our coach's name! It's all a matter of time and patience really.

"Prague a great place, a lovely city and everyone has been so friendly. I am enjoying the whole experience."

Back in West Belfast the Munster family is proud of his achievement. Dad Paul, who played in the Irish League for Bangor and mum Sheila are planning a visit in the New Year although they will be welcoming Paul home next month when the league takes its winter break.

Sheila said: "He's done really well and were so pleased for him. He's a lovely lad, a little bit of a George Best lookalike some people say with his dark hair. His grandfather Pat and his dad played so I suppose it was no surprise that Tony and Darren did too. Their cousin Davy is also with the Crues.

"My boys played at St. Peter's Primary School and at the Christian Brothers School on the Glen Road. Darren came home from Nottingham Forest and joined Crusaders but he is recovering from keyhole surgery on his left knee just now."

Paul knows Slavia have a rich history - founded in 1892 they are one of the oldest clubs in Europe - although down the years they have lived in the shadow of Sparta who are currently leading the table.

Patrick Berger, Vladimer Smicer and Karel Poborsky were all produced by the club in the past and the latest recruit is hoping he can help take them back into European competition by keeping up their challenge for a top four place.

Next on Paul's priorities is the visit of seventh placed Ostrava tomorrow. He is hoping coach Josef Csaplara might play him again at some stage. No doubt he'll know the Czech word for thank-you if he does!

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

This is a link to an online interview for anyone still following this story. Someone towards the end asks the question of Munster's desire of playing for Ireland, in which an almost definitive answer is given.

Thanks juaninho. With that and with him no longer in the CPSL, I am going to say that future discussion about Paul Munster should take place in the General Discussion section.

Archived