CSA starts to flesh out world under-20 plans

Massive Attack

CSA starts to flesh out world under-20 plans

By NEIL DAVIDSON

TORONTO (CP) - The Toronto stadium issue resolved, the Canadian Soccer Association has started fleshing out its plan for the 2007 world under-20 soccer championships.

Toronto and Edmonton are two lynchpins of the 24-team tournament, second only in size to the men's World Cup in terms of FIFA world championships. But the CSA needs four more host cities to take part, as well as local organizing committees in the six venues.

The CSA sent out 40-page packages Friday to cities and groups interested in getting involved. The remaining host cities, stadiums and committees will be chosen in April, a time frame that would allow Canadian organizers to have a blueprint in place in advance of taking in the 2005 world under-20 championship in the Netherlands.

The tournament consists of 52 games, with a dozen of those expected to take place at the new Toronto stadium at York University. The first shovel is tentatively slated for March 2005, with a realistic completion date 18 months later.

Toronto and Edmonton, at Commonwealth Stadium, will each host a first-round group, plus round-of-16, quarter-final and semifinal matches.

The preliminary plan is for Toronto to host the bronze-medal game, with the final going to the much larger venue in Edmonton, which scored major points in its handling of the inaugural world women's under-19 championship in 2002.

"We haven't really come to full grips with the issue of the championship match," said Kevan Pipe, chief operating officer of the CSA.

While FIFA has the final word, the plan calls for Canada to be featured in the tournament opener July 1 in Toronto. Canada and its opponent would then fly to Edmonton to complete the first round.

Each of the six host cities will host a first-round group.

The total budget for the event is between $25 million and $30 million.

The domestic budget is between $14 million and $15 million with FIFA, which is responsible for transporting and housing all the teams, officials and others involved, taking care of the rest.

On the Canadian side of the ledger, the CSA has applied for federal and provincial government hosting grants totalling about $4 million. Another $3 million to $4 million is projected in gate receipts.

FIFA and marketing ventures will kick in another $4 million to $5 million, Pipe said.

FIFA, who will choose the host broadcaster, controls TV rights in Canada and abroad.

As for venues, Molson Stadium in Montreal has already been ruled out. Its artificial turf meets FIFA standards as a surface but is considered unusable because of its permanent football lines, Pipe said.

"We've now come to the realization, and in fact wouldn't even bring FIFA for a site inspection, to any stadium that has football lines stitched in," Pipe said.

When McGill resurfaced the stadium, the hope had been that the lines could be removed as needed.

"That just doesn't work," Pipe said flatly.

"Effectively we're not going to embarrass ourselves by bringing in a world championship event and playing it in facilities that one would not expect a world-class event to be played on," he added.

Stadiums that want to play a part in the championships will either have to provide natural grass or a FIFA-sanctioned artificial surface that has no lines or other distractions.

Pipe called it "a line in the sand" but said the association would accept offers from stadiums that agree to revamp their fields to meet those requirements.

The minimum size for stadiums in the preliminary round is 10,000, although there is some flexibility as the tournament unfolds. The difference in capacity between Commonwealth Stadium (61,000) and the new Toronto stadium (25,000) does not mean the final will end up in Edmonton.

Other possible sites in Montreal include Claude Robillard Stadium, home to the Montreal Impact or Olympic Stadium, which has a FieldTurf surface.

Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa, with its FieldTurf surface, already meets the requirements although its FIFA licence is running out and will have to be renewed.

Vancouver is an option via an expanded Swangard Stadium, plus Vancouver Whitecaps owner Greg Kerfoot has talked of building a new facility.

The CSA is also looking at CFL stadiums in Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and Hamilton if the proper pristine surface is available.

Artificial turf is not an issue, as long as it meets FIFA standards.

In effect, the CSA is looking everywhere. The tender process includes responding with bids and budgets so it is to the association's benefit to get everyone involved.

Hence Pipe talks of Richardson Stadium in Kingston, Ont., an aging facility at Queen's University that hosted World Cup qualifying games against Belize this summer, and Sherbrooke, Que., site of the 2003 world youth track and field championships.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2004/10/28/689369-cp.html

FieldTurf is in, FieldTurf with CFL lines all over it (like Molson stadium) is out. Which is all I've ever complained about.

quote:As for venues, Molson Stadium in Montreal has already been ruled out. Its artificial turf meets FIFA standards as a surface but is considered unusable because of its permanent football lines, Pipe said.

"We've now come to the realization, and in fact wouldn't even bring FIFA for a site inspection, to any stadium that has football lines stitched in," Pipe said.

I sure hope Richardson gets some major renovations if they are going to play there. Could be a nice stadium with some work and this may be an opportunity for Queen's to upgrade it. However, it would be a national embarrassment to have televised games in an international tournament at Richardson in the state it is in. Hopefully this tournament will provide an opportunity and incentive for some of the CFL stadiums to be upgraded and made soccer friendly and for new ones to be built in Vancouver and maybe even Halifax. The stadiums would certainly have a better case for receiving government funding with this tournament. The increase in the number of Canadian stadiums able to host international and professional soccer events and the hopefully not just short term acceptance of watching the sport live will be the legacy of this tournament in Canada.

As for new stadiums may be pasrt the gov will cover but not all.Alot of these citys that want new stadiums are going to have to come up with the cash on there own here is just a run down.

1)Ottawa

The ottawa-carleton area will be hosting the 2006 ont summer games and will get some prov cash.This will go to a few things but most likelt the biggest will be a stadium of some sorts its expected to be around a 4500 seat stadium.This will be used to host the many field sports of the games.To add ottawa is in the running for some games of the 2007 tournemant witch this 4500 seat stadium would be of no use.The question is will ottawa get some sort of cash to upgrade frank clair.

2)Vancouver

With vancouver gettong the winter olympics they will get a massive cash flow the probleam is its all going to be for things such as a arena etc.It is highly unlikly they will get much but again with the 2007 tournemant and with vancouver in the running as a host will they get abit of cash to help or up grade a stadium.

3)Halifax

It is highly unlikely they will get any help they are not expected to even apply to be a host at the worlds.There are some reports the city wants only a 22,000 seat stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa, with its FieldTurf surface, already meets the requirements although its FIFA licence is running out and will have to be renewed.

Scuze me but whats with the fifa Licence?!!! If the surface already meets the standards required from FIFA, just why in the world is Fifa charging for a License!:(? Will the surface magically change to unplayable the second after the liecence is not renewed?. Sounds like another crafty extortion $$$$ scheme by Fifa.

As far as sites, relegating Montreal to secondary status would be huge blow for the tournament. The market has proven time and again that it will support soccer. You need to make the large urban centres the showpiece of the tourament and that means getting the important games in those venues. Those places have the communities that follow the game in greater numbers.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Scuze me but whats with the fifa Licence?!!! If the surface already meets the standards required from FIFA, just why in the world is Fifa charging for a License!:(? Will the surface magically change to unplayable the second after the liecence is not renewed?. Sounds like another crafty extortion $$$$ scheme by Fifa.

As far as sites, relegating Montreal to secondary status would be huge blow for the tournament. The market has proven time and again that it will support soccer. You need to make the large urban centres the showpiece of the tourament and that means getting the important games in those venues. Those places have the communities that follow the game in greater numbers.

The licence is only given for 3 years becuase part of the continuing test criteria is "durability". The whole notion of artificail turf is still in the experimental stage in FIFA. One of the concerns of artificial turf is how easily it might wear out. I don't believe there is any licence fee involved, although the installation may have to pay the costs of the attending experts examining.

Frank Clair's FT licence needs renewed as of December 16, 2005, Molson's as of September 3, 2006 and Saprissa's July, 2007.

Agreed that Montreal should be given some matches. Perhaps Robillard can be upgraded (there may be enough seats already, but I hear the field needs a lot of work). If not, Sherbrooke may have to be Quebec's site.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

As for venues, Molson Stadium in Montreal has already been ruled out. Its artificial turf meets FIFA standards as a surface but is considered unusable because of its permanent football lines, Pipe said.

When McGill resurfaced the stadium, the hope had been that the lines could be removed as needed.

"That just doesn't work," Pipe said flatly.

"Effectively we're not going to embarrass ourselves by bringing in a world championship event and playing it in facilities that one would not expect a world-class event to be played on," he added.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2004/10/28/689369-cp.html

If memory serve me correctly didn't the CSA, McGill University and The Montreal AL's agreed not to install pernament football lines when they agreed to install Fieldturf at Molson Stadium and at the time Pipe was relieved? What is going on here?

What happened is that a 180° was made with the decision that there would be permanent football lines that (I believe) someone else than the soccer tenant would pay for covering up when needed. The lack of major soccer games meant painting the field again and again (for football) not advantageous to the Als, who draw all the water at Molson. In effect, the only games we've seen there is a Women's friendly and U19 WWCQ; during the games, the lines were covered up but not the advertisements. The Impact had entertained the idea of having games there but it never came to being.

What I would expect to happen (but again, one is never sure with the lack of pull that the Impact have in regards to facilities) is that we'll see a massively renovated CCR by 2007 which will host the WYC. The track will be removed and the field lowered. with new stands being built to the byline (ala City of Manchester Stadium). There will probably also be added restrooms, but I doubt much else. I'd expect capacity to be around 13,000-15,000.

Of course, this is speculation, tied in with some vague answers given by Saputo over the past few years, but I would think that the WYC would be the perfect reason to inject capital into CCR (a major international event) and get rid of the track. One would think such renovations would cost $10m-$15m.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

What happened is that a 180° was made with the decision that there would be permanent football lines that (I believe) someone else than the soccer tenant would pay for covering up when needed. The lack of major soccer games meant painting the field again and again (for football) not advantageous to the Als, who draw all the water at Molson. In effect, the only games we've seen there is a Women's friendly and U19 WWCQ; during the games, the lines were covered up but not the advertisements. The Impact had entertained the idea of having games there but it never came to being.

What I would expect to happen (but again, one is never sure with the lack of pull that the Impact have in regards to facilities) is that we'll see a massively renovated CCR by 2007 which will host the WYC. The track will be removed and the field lowered. with new stands being built to the byline (ala City of Manchester Stadium). There will probably also be added restrooms, but I doubt much else. I'd expect capacity to be around 13,000-15,000.

Of course, this is speculation, tied in with some vague answers given by Saputo over the past few years, but I would think that the WYC would be the perfect reason to inject capital into CCR (a major international event) and get rid of the track. One would think such renovations would cost $10m-$15m.

Doesn't athetlics Canada have a stake at CCR as well. I think they would freak if the track was removed

Archived