Calgary, Edmonton, Syracuse not returning

jaydog2006

quote:Originally posted by ray

This is bad news for the league. Any word on teams joining the A-League? The Western Conference is looking rather thin.

Also will a Voyageur Cup still be possible - down to six matches next season?

I would hope that with only 13 teams, the A-league would go to a single table format. In my opinion, why bother with a Voyageurs Cup with only three teams?

The only positive I can take from this news is that the league has lost two very weak teams and will have a lot more parity.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

At this rate, why wouldn't they just merge the Pro League and the A-League. Give it some fancy-schmancy name. Realistically, Rochester will be leaving soon, and we all know Seattle's ambitions (whether they're realized is another story). Within 2 years, it will look like a 12 team league... much like the Pro League does now.

Split the league, east and west. Each club in the east plays two games out west, and hosts two western teams. Play each team 2-4 times a year, playoffs ensue. Reduce travel costs and road trips in general.

Sorry, trying to be optimistic. My condolences to the fans of Calgary and Edmonton.

The fact that these two Canadian teams couldn't survive in the A-League have no bearing on whether they'd survive in a better run Canadian league at the same playing level. Had these two teams been run the same way with the same business plan in any other city in North America they'd have failed as well. It amazes me when people compare the success of teams in the poorly run A-League which accepts franchises with crappy business plans and then say "those teams failed in the A-league they certainly have no hope in any other league".

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Those barriers between the A-League and the PSL should come down, only cuz the way the geography of each league will aid the remaining franchises. Gauging by the geographical differences of the PSL clubs, the road swings are not much better than the A-League.

Would the league be that worse off by amalgamating the 2nd and 3rd divisions? Have any teams moved up from the PDL to the PSL? From the PSL to the A-League? It seems there's more scaling back than going up. And I'm not implying that the PSL join the A-League as much as the opposite. Let the A-League scale back to PSL standards... or keep paying them the same wages, just to compete in the same league.

The PDL seems rather healthy. Or I could be mislead by the staggering number of clubs in the league.

Travel in the psl is not that bad for some pdl teams there travel is worse then most of the psl teams.The way the psl is set up it you is most of there games and no farther then 6 hours away.Yes there is or was a southern division these teams played some games vs the teams in the north east most of there games were in there own division and vs the mid-atlantic pdl division the same with the west.The psl is not like the a-league where the travel is a huge demand.If anything i think you will see more games psl vs pdl take the fury they will most likely play western mass & new hampshire a few times.

The PDL is healthy cause no one gets paid to play. You pay a coach, pay for a stadium and travel costs.

Maybe soccer in Calgary, Edmonton, Manitoba should be looking west instead of east...

http://www.mpsl.info

and judging from the empty seats in their photo gallery they'd fit right in.

WOW pro soccer is crap in Canada right now. A lousy national team, 2 pro teams and one semi pro outfit in Toronto.

If only we could have an MLS.

There's a reason why most teams drop from the A-league to PSL rather that the other way around. It's simply cheaper to run a PSL club. Suggesting that the A-League teams drop to the level of the PSL won't help either. While A-League soccer isn't the highest level, I don't think fans would be happy to see a drop in play.

Hold your horses

Calgary owners insist Mustangs aren't done yet

By CAMERON MAXWELL -- Calgary Sun

Reports of the Calgary Mustangs' demise might be greatly exaggerated.

That's what co-owner Juergen Hanne said yesterday after the Tampa-based United Soccer Leagues announced the 'Stangs wouldn't be running in the A-League next season.

Hanne said the club plans on taking a one-year hiatus from the loop and returning in 2006.

"We had three partners and the one German partner didn't come up with the money but that's not the main thing," said Hanne.

"The main thing is we don't have a venue -- we don't want to play on the same turf again at McMahon Stadium."

The idea now is to find six new investors who can kick in $100,000 each so the team can buy the new, rubber-based artificial turf for McMahon.

"If the turf is in, that's fine and we go ahead,"said Hanne, adding the team would then commit to three years in the A-League.

USL officials had granted the Mustangs a one-year grace period where they could play on the current turf at McMahon, which doesn't conform to league regulations.

But now that the year is up and new turf hasn't been implemented, the club couldn't move ahead for the 2005 season.

"We can just leave a season out and come back really strong the next year," said Hanne, who along with John Torode, owns the team that went 4-18-6 in 2004.

Torode and Hanne each put $125,000 into the team last season as poor weather and a paltry fan turnout dogged the club.

Edmonton and Syracuse also will not be included in the 2005 schedule, USL officials said.

"It is very unfortunate to lose these three markets, which we feel have great potential," USL vice-president Tim Holt said in a statement. "We still strongly believe Calgary, Edmonton and Syracuse have a future in USL; however, it was not in the short-term interest of USL and its other member franchises to continue in those markets for 2005."

The announcement leaves the champion Montreal Impact, Vancouver Whitecaps and Toronto Lynx as the Canadian entries in the 13-club A-League.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2004/10/28/689089.html

"We can just leave a season out and come back really strong the next year," said Hanne, who along with John Torode, owns the team that went 4-18-6 in 2004.

I'm curious about the last time that a team with a very checkered history took a one year hiatus and actually returned. Not knowing anything about the situation behind the scenes, I'd be very surprised to see a Calgary entry in the A-League in 2006.

If I recall correctly, Montreal took some sort of hiatus in the early 90's, but the circumstances were different and it wasn't a club on the brink like Calgary.

Blair

Archived