Does the CSA need to change their logo?

juaninho

Hey, I want to keep the logo. It's more than suitable. If it was good enuff for 1986, its good enough for now.

The only thing I would do is change the lettering to make it more recognizable (and less like a drunk Ukrainian did it), and I would add something like "Carpe Diem" (Seize the Day, something we have to do every four years, Latin so it's not offending any minorities).

Besides, I have years of volunteer tee-shirts with the logo or close antecedents on it (all white, grey or black, unfortunately, none have much red on them) and I don't want to look more out of date than I already do.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually in looking at the various logos I now think ours is one of the better ones. There sure are a lot of very ugly national team logos including most of the examples given by Juaninho. I don't think any of the South American ones are better than ours and for all of their footballing skills Brazil and Argentina didn't apply the same ability to the logos. Europe also has a lot of ugly logos but a few nice ones. The ones I like better than ours are Spain and Russia. The German one with the eagle is decent but the one with the weird letters is ugly. I like the Hungarian and Czech logos also. I know I will upset some people with this but the Polish one looks like a chicken drawn by someone who was trying to draw an eagle. The French have a chicken logo which is not the most attractive but at least they were actually trying to draw a chicken. I guess different people have different aesthetics but after viewing many other logos it is hard for me to see how anyone can be very dissatisfied with ours. Many club teams have very nice logos, generally much superior logos to the national logos.

Again, I realise that preference or lack thereof is a matter of taste. But to appeal to history and tradition can be foolish in certain respects. Just because something is a tradition doesn't mean it is good - one can use the appeal to tradition pre-U. S. civil war to justify slavery's continuance for example. And even if you were to appeal to Canada's soccer tradition, is it a tradition that is one to be proud of?

I don't despise the logo, nor do i like it. I just think it is time for a change - a necessary change.

Oh and about logo ripoffs, why don't we ripoff some j-league logos, get the kids interested maybe? :D Logos are Grampus Eight (which Wenger once coached - the team and not the logo) and Kyoto Purple Sanga (well at least one of the sanga logos)

grhome.gifkyoto1.gif

Hello Collective Voyageur Hive.

The current Voyageur logo kicks butt on the sad, worn, "ball with words" CSA excuse for a logo. The lettering style makes me think that Pat Benatar should be singing the theme song for CSA ads (if they ever had any). Our flag is great, but surely the time has come to re-visit a more natural looking leaf (like the Voyageur one). In fact, change the wording on the Voyageur logo and the CSA would have something unmistakable to Canadians and to foreigners; something soccer-related but still subtle; something timeless and not stale like the current dated Mr. Roboto lettering, and something classic without being baroque or stuffy.

Cheers.

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

Again, I realise that preference or lack thereof is a matter of taste. But to appeal to history and tradition can be foolish in certain respects. Just because something is a tradition doesn't mean it is good - one can use the appeal to tradition pre-U. S. civil war to justify slavery's continuance for example. And even if you were to appeal to Canada's soccer tradition, is it a tradition that is one to be proud of?

Okay let me re-state. The logo is good. The only element I feel looks a little poor is the script and as we saw, that too has been used by Athletics Canada and as recently as 1996. So maybe it isn't as stuck in 80s as we think it is. I know I wasn't looking at Donovan Bailey thinking "yes he won, pity about the font on his shirt".

In addition to its simple, clean design, the logo ALSO has tradition. Were it ****e, that would certainly wouldn't be enough to redeam it. But since it's not ****e IMO, the fact that is has tradition, has brand recognition and all those other good qualities you look for in a corporate brand, the tradition is not to be discounted.

I mean let's be honest tradition is keeping some pretty weak designs around too long, McDonald's golden arches are awful. There's nothing there and Coke's script is boring and has zero graphical element. And they will never be changed because they have instant brand recognition. That's important in a logo. Tradition is not so valid when talking about politics re: slavery. Opression of a people isn't really a 'tradition' it's more of a crime.

cheers,

matthew

Or do you teach at U of T where hyperbole doesn't scare them off from making comparisons.

Man.. a Canadian soccer logo debate.. and where am I?!!

despite being really busy work and in recovery mode "vacation" in terms of soccer.. I just gotta have a say on this one. I've been thinking that the CSA needs to change it's logo for a while. I've been planning to fool around with a few design ideas when I had some time. To get an idea of what I was thinking about, here's something similar...

canadasoccer.jpg

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Okay let me re-state. The logo is good. The only element I feel looks a little poor is the script and as we saw, that too has been used by Athletics Canada and as recently as 1996. So maybe it isn't as stuck in 80s as we think it is. I know I wasn't looking at Donovan Bailey thinking "yes he won, pity about the font on his shirt".

In addition to its simple, clean design, the logo ALSO has tradition. Were it ****e, that would certainly wouldn't be enough to redeam it. But since it's not ****e IMO, the fact that is has tradition, has brand recognition and all those other good qualities you look for in a corporate brand, the tradition is not to be discounted.

I mean let's be honest tradition is keeping some pretty weak designs around too long, McDonald's golden arches are awful. There's nothing there and Coke's script is boring and has zero graphical element. And they will never be changed because they have instant brand recognition. That's important in a logo. Tradition is not so valid when talking about politics re: slavery. Opression of a people isn't really a 'tradition' it's more of a crime.

cheers,

matthew

Or do you teach at U of T where hyperbole doesn't scare them off from making comparisons.

Okay, so perhaps the slavery example to illustrate 'bad' traditions was a bit much. But still, appeals to tradition can be a bit hollow some times - as the tradition itself makes a constructive dialogue difficult. If tradition is hollow in this case, that is a matter of discussion.

Tradition or not, I still think the logo should be changed. Again this is based on my own subjective opinion.

Oh and about the Donovan Bailey reference, then yes, if Canada's Mens National Team wasn't so crap, then perhaps, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Logo still needs a change though, but, I agree to disagree.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Tradition is not so valid when talking about politics re: slavery. Opression of a people isn't really a 'tradition' it's more of a crime.

9. Appeal to Tradition

In appeals to tradition someone argues that something is good or correct because it is traditional. The problem is that merely because something is traditional is no reason to believe that it is good or right. For instance, slavery was at one time traditional in many cultures, but that's obviously not sufficient to make it right.

taken from:

http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~kak7409/Fallacies.html#9.%20Appeal%20to%20Tradition

I really hope this doesn't piss you off or insult you mathew, i just wanted to clarify 'tradition' with respect to it being a logical fallacy. Please do not take it as a criticism, just a clarification.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Besides Galactica, the greatest sci-fi show on television ever,

Nahhh, that honour goes to Doctor Who!

I like the original Galactica series (and by that I don't mean Galactica 1980, as not even the Cylons crashing a Halloween party hosted by Wolfman Jack in one episode could save that series) but I haven't seen the new one yet. What did you think?

You guys are wrong about rugby. That gay tulip thingy was only a brain fart that replaced the classic, simple, maple leaf previously worn by our rugby clubs. Like most of these changes, they probably went to the tulip thingy because you can trade mark a natural maple leaf by itself. A bit of sanity reigned when the current design was introduced, but it still doesn't look as good as the real original rugby logo - the maple leaf forever.

Cheers. And yes, to whoever above asked, it's the Real Me. Can't check the poster's name because of the format of this stupid site.

quote:Originally posted by Mad Cap Mac

You guys are wrong about rugby. That gay tulip thingy was only a brain fart that replaced the classic, simple, maple leaf previously worn by our rugby clubs. Like most of these changes, they probably went to the tulip thingy because you can trade mark a natural maple leaf by itself. A bit of sanity reigned when the current design was introduced, but it still doesn't look as good as the real original rugby logo - the maple leaf forever.

That's why the Toronto Maple Leafs changed their logo from the natural looking Maple Leaf to the boxy thing they use now. Copyright.

db

Gianluca, I was actually being sarcastic with that comment about Galactica being the greatest sci-fi television series. I would probably give that title to Star Trek (the original one). I liked Doctor Who for many years but found it just went on too long and started to get stale especially with the endless number of actors in the title role (I have put up my laser shields to protect me from attacks from the Who faithful). I haven't watched the new Galactica and have not seen the old one for probably 20 years. My memory might be faulty but I don't remember it as being that great a series (Wolfman Jack was pretty cool though). We are pretty off topic so I guess we should move this discussion to a different thread if we are to continue it.

No offence taken juaninho. I know appealing to tradition is a logical fallacy, but I'm arguing that in creating a brand, consistency and yes tradition are beneficial. Of course I see this as a positive reason to keep a logo I like. You see the logo as poor and therefore that wouldn't be sufficient reason for you to see the logo as a positive. So yeah I see what you're saying and we agree to disagree. I just thought comparing a logo to slavery was really over the top.

To me this is one of the big failings of MLS. They change their kits every year (or a lot do), they change their teams colours, their names and their logos. They're constantly re-branding and I don't think it helps the league's credibility or their team's presence in their sports marketplace. And the worst part is that they keep starting with horrible brands. I mean you just know that Real Salt Lake will have a new colour scheme and a new name in five years if they're still around. Just as you knew the Wiz would change their name and the sand and pale blue Clash jerseys weren't long for this earth, etc etc.

I think the Rugby Canada big bang logo is a good example of how change can be bad. They had a good logo and now they're back to having a good logo though it does look like Hockey Canada.

cheers,

matthew

[V]

Maybe this isn't the most important topic, but i think the CSA needs to change its logo. The half soccer ball, Canada, and half leaf design is kind of stale. The prominence of the half soccer ball is redundant. Does the opposition need to be reminded by the logo that they are in fact playing Canada's soccer team and not Canada's lacrosse or cricket team?

I think Canada should adopt a crest of some sort, where it has CSA, perhaps a small soccer ball, and some kind of leaf motif inside the crest. And maybe some sort of pithy saying, or a few words stating the Canadian ethos, if that can be done. Nothing fancy, but something that can withstand the test of at least a generation's time. The current design, although i don't know which year witnessed its birth, is so 1992.

We don't need to change the logo, must change the administration:(

[V]

Maybe this isn't the most important topic, but i think the CSA needs to change its logo. The half soccer ball, Canada, and half leaf design is kind of stale. The prominence of the half soccer ball is redundant. Does the opposition need to be reminded by the logo that they are in fact playing Canada's soccer team and not Canada's lacrosse or cricket team?

I think Canada should adopt a crest of some sort, where it has CSA, perhaps a small soccer ball, and some kind of leaf motif inside the crest. And maybe some sort of pithy saying, or a few words stating the Canadian ethos, if that can be done. Nothing fancy, but something that can withstand the test of at least a generation's time. The current design, although i don't know which year witnessed its birth, is so 1992.

We don't need to change the logo, must change the administration:(

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

We need a new logo and new colors. Going to a Green and White hooped

jersey with a dark Green maple leaf (thats the real color you know)

might create a winning attitude for our teams. The away jersey could

be red with yellow shorts and black socks.

Canada's colours are red and white.

There shouldn't even be a discussion about changing the colours.

Archived