John Peel Dies

Desigol

Truly gutted

This man was a giant. He was so important to many of us growing up in the UK in the seventies and eighties, his unbending devotion to alternative music was ledgendary. I suppose now he will be having a chat with shanks about the glory days at Anfield

quote:Originally posted by runner

Truly gutted

This man was a giant. He was so important to many of us growing up in the UK in the seventies and eighties, his unbending devotion to alternative music was ledgendary. I suppose now he will be having a chat with shanks about the glory days at Anfield

Hell, Peel had a direct significant effect on American artists as well. His show and sessions were are definite recognizeable boost to Yank alternative artists credibility as well.

One of my favorite recordings is the Frank Black with Teenage Fanclub peel session. Frank Black does a pricless cover of Otis Blackwell's "Handy Man". A great Frank Black recording.

Yes, indeed a sad day. He certainly did broaden the horizons of music - beyond the myopia of commerce and formulaic pop. The 'engine room' of progressive/alternative music has passed on. Maybe a heavenly 'Peel Session' is in the midst with Ian Curtis, George Harrison, Jimmy Hendrix, and Keith Moon?

There is this really cool picture of John Peel playing with a slot car set taken in either the 70's or 80's. Can anyone find it and post it as a memorial of sorts?

Archived