Norwegian & Latvian Championships [R]

amacpher

In case anybody hasn't noticed, Rosenborg's run of (I think) 12 consecutive titles is in danger. With one game to play they are ahead of Valarenga on goals scored (goal difference is even) only. And Valarenga have the easier opponent in their final game.

I'm assuming the tie-breaker in Norway is the usual goal difference, then goals scored. But does anybody know for sure??

I've noticed. In fact, I was going to post something about this.

You're correct about the 12 consecutive championships. And, according to some posters on BigSoccer, the tiebreakers are indeed goal difference followed by goals scored. Should be an interesting last day: Rosenborg vs. Lyn, Valerenga vs. Stabaek. Both Lyn and Stabaek have something to play for as well: a European spot and survival, respectively.

But there's more interesting stuff in northern Europe, specifically in Latvia (that's why I edited the title of this thread). Skonto Riga are on a streak of 13 consecutive championships (every Latvian championship since independence). According to RSSSF, that is tied for the world record with Al-Faisaly of Jordan (1959-1966 + 1970-1974). And, like Rosenborg, Skonto are in jeopardy of losing it this year: they are 6 points behind Liepajas Metalurgs with 2 matches in hand, plus 3 more for each team to complete the season. To add even more intrigue, it's Metalurgs vs. Skonto on October 31.

Well Rosenborg became champions for the 13 consecutive year. Valarenga scored two late goals against Stabaek and looked like they'd end the streak, but Rosenborg scored an even later goal (90th minute) in their match vs. Lyn to clinch the title.

Both teams won their final match by 3 goals meaning Rosenborg wins by goals scored (goal difference for the two clubs was identical).

story: http://www.soccerway.com/news/full/?page=details&area=1099168256

What an ending! [:0] Decided literally in the last minutes.

In Latvia, in midweek Skonto won one of their games in hand, then earlier today won the big one at Metalurgs 3-2. The two teams are now tied on points but Skonto has a game in hand.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weeks late, but to finish off this Latvia story, Metalurgs won their last two matches, but couldn't do anything more as Skonto won their last three. So Skonto are Latvian champions again, for the 14th consecutive year, which is a world record (one ahead of Rosenborg's current streak).

Archived