Canadians abroad: October 22-28, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Saturday, October 23

7:30 AM on Sportsnet — England: Premier League

Norwich (Jim Brennan) vs. Everton

11:00 PM (3.5-hour tape delay) on FSWC — United States: MLS - Quarterfinals, First Leg

New England (Felix Brillant Jr.) vs. Columbus

Sunday, October 24

11:30 AM (26-hour tape delay) on FSWC — Germany: Bundesliga

Werder Bremen (Paul Stalteri) vs. Nurnberg

4:30 PM on Bell ExpressVu PPV — Portugal: Superliga

Porto vs. Penafiel (Fernando Aguiar)

5:00 PM on FSWC — United States: MLS - Quarterfinals, First Leg

San Jose (Dwayne De Rosario, Pat Onstad) vs. Kansas City

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for October 22-28, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by marktci

This week's EPL Preview show (Saturday at 7 a.m. eastern on Sportsnet) has a mini-feature on Radz (favourite goal, favourite hobbies, etc.).

Just saw it. Here's what he said:

Best goal: against Southampton (from right side, blast under the bar)

Best game: against Arsenal where Everton broke a record for an undefeated streak

Hobbies: surfing the Web, scuba diving

Favourite stadium: Old Trafford

Best goal he's seen: Alan Shearer against Everton (I can't be more specific)

Toughest opponent: Mikael Silvestre

This is going by memory, so I may have missed something.

In Sweden's 1st division Enköpings SK got relegated, losing to Friska Viljor 1-2 with Kenny Stamatopoulos on the bench.

Åtvidabergs FF went down 1-4 at Brommapojkarna in the last match this season, finishing a somewhat disappointing 7th. Matondo subbed in at 81.

Good results for the Canadians in the Bundesliga.

Julian de Guzman played 90 minutes for Hannover 96 who won 2-0 at Borussia M'gladbach on the strength of two first half goals.

Paul Stalteri was subbed out in the 81st minute for Werder Bremen who were 4-1 winners at home to Nurnberg.

Kuban lost 2-1 to Torpedo Moscow. Jazic was subbed in at minute 44 but injured himself while warming up and stretching during halftime and did not start the second half. Things are looking bad for Kuban who are 3 points behind a non-relegation spot with 3 games remaining and its rivals all playing tomorrow. Fortunately 2 of their remaining games are against other relegation candidates.

quote:Originally posted by Dandal

In Sweden's 1st division Enköpings SK got relegated, losing to Friska Viljor 1-2 with Kenny Stamatopoulos on the bench.

Åtvidabergs FF went down 1-4 at Brommapojkarna in the last match this season, finishing a somewhat disappointing 7th. Matondo subbed in at 81.

Stamatopolous on the bench due to a sore back. It will be interesting to see where 'Super Kenny' ends up.

Otto scores his 12th of the season for Odd Grenland in a 4-2 loss to last place Sogndal in the Tipillegaen. The goal makes Oliver the fifth leading goal scorer in Norway.

Reda plays the full match for Sogndal, and scores the winning goal for Sogndal.

Friend plays the full match for Molde in a 3-1 victory over Stabaek. The win lifts Molde out of relegation territory.

Bernier plays the full match (collecting a yellow) for Tromso in a 1-0 loss to Fredrikstad. TIL drop to 4th place and see their chance of Europe fading. On another note, Tromso fans are calling the signing of Bernier as the 'coup signing of the season.'

Also in England on Saturday, Radz doesn't make it off the bench in a 2-0 Fulham loss to Villa. Terry Dunfield comes on in the 64th minute for Bury in a 1-1 draw with Rushden & Diamonds.

In Scotland, Richard Hastings comes on for Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the 57th minute in a 2-2 draw with Kilmarnock.

SOCCER SHORTS SAINTLY ACT

Oct 20 2004

FORMER St Johnstone midfielder Nick Dasovic is helping the Perth club discover the stars of tomorrow.

Dasovic, who enjoyed a spell coaching Canada's under age squads, has tipped off Perth boss John Connolly, with four trialists going under the spotlight at McDiarmid Park.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Otto scores his 12th of the season for Odd Grenland in a 4-2 loss to last place Sogndal in the Tipillegaen. The goal makes Oliver the fifth leading goal scorer in Norway.

Reda plays the full match for Sogndal, and scores the winning goal for Sogndal.

Friend plays the full match for Molde in a 3-1 victory over Stabaek. The win lifts Molde out of relegation territory.

Bernier plays the full match (collecting a yellow) for Tromso in a 1-0 loss to Fredrikstad. TIL drop to 4th place and see their chance of Europe fading. On another note, Tromso fans are calling the signing of Bernier as the 'coup signing of the season.'

Otto's goal makes him the all-time leading goal scorer at Odd Grenland. Not too bad for our young Canuck in his rookie season.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I find that very hard to believe

Sorry, let me rectify myself. He has beaten the record at Odd Grenland for the most goals in one season. He is the fifth leading scorer in the league; however, all the others above him have scored on PKs. He hasn't taken one this year.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Best game: against Arsenal where Everton broke a record for an undefeated streak

Mikael Silvestre? I find that hard to believe.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Mikael Silvestre? I find that hard to believe.

Archived