U-17 Team Chosen for Tournament

brodycheese

Hart Annouces U-17 Canadian Squad 19/10/04

Canadas Junior Under-17 Team Head Coach Stephen Hart today announced his 18-player roster for a camp and three games to be played in Florida and El Salvador. The team will depart today and return to Canada on Sunday, October 31, 2004.

Canada will play an international friendly against the United States on Monday, October 25th in Florida before playing El Salvador on Thursday, October 28th and Saturday, October 30th in El Salvador.

Game Schedule

October 22, 2004 @ 16:00 Sunrise Hilton vs. Local U17 Team

October 25, 2004 @ 10:00 Sunrise Hilton cs. USA U17

October 28, 2004 EL SALVADOR U17 - TBD

October 30, 2004 EL SALVADOR U17 - TBD

*This schedule is subject to change.

Roster

# Pos. Name Training Centre DOB Hometown Prov.

1 GK MONSALVE, David Ontario NTC 21/12/88 Brampton ON

2 D LANG, Adam BC NTC 09/02/88 Chilliwack BC

3 M RIDLEY, Curtis Prairies NTC 09/02/88 Edmonton AB

4 F MAYARD, (Pierre) Rudolph Quebec NTC 21/02/88 Montreal QC

5 M OLIVEIRA, Kyle Ontario NTC 04/03/88 Oakville ON

6 F GRAY, AJ Ontario NTC 12/04/88 Brampton ON

7 F AKUOKO, Johnson Ontario NTC 17/04/88 Toronto ON

8 D BRAICH, Harman Prairies NTC 30/05/88 Edmonton AB

9 D MACKINNON, Campbell BC NTC 30/05/88 Abbotsford BC

10 F AYRE, Keegan BC NTC 04/07/88 Coquitlam BC

11 M LAMMIE, Selvin (Shane) Ontario NTC 03/08/88 Toronto ON

12 M MARRELLO, Alex BC NTC 28/09/88 Burnaby BC

22 GK KALTHOFF, Zach Prairies NTC 20/11/88 Calgary AB

14 D AWUAKYE, Joseph Ontario NTC 21/01/88 Scarborough ON

15 M BOURGAULT, Jonathan Beaulieu Quebec NTC 27/09/88 Ile Bizard QC

16 D BACHAR, Danny Atlantic NTC 17/09/88 Cole Harbour NS

17 F PANIZZON, Mario Prairies NTC 24/05/88 Edmonton AB

13 F NUNEZ, Christian Quebec NTC 07/07/88 Montreal QC

Staff

ATHANASIOU, George Head of Delegation

HART, Stephen Head Coach

FLEMING, Sean CSA Staff Coach

MULDOON, Kevin Equipment Manager/GK Coach

PELLEGRINO, Anthony Athletic Therapist

COCHRANE, Earl National Teams Administrator

Just to add the restating (for convenience) that CONCACAF qualifying for the next summer's Worlds in Peru will be May 19-23, 2005 - Jeux Canada Games Stadium in St. John, New Brunswick, (Group B)against Mexico, UNCAF 2 and CFU 2 . Like last year in Victoria, the top team advances from Peru, and the second place in the Group plays off with the 2nd in the other Group for the last place in Peru.

(The U-20 Qualifying Group tournament for early June's WYC in Holland will be January 26-30, 2005 – San Pedro Sula, Honduras, against Honduras, Mexico and CFU 2, with top two advancing directly to Holland).

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1797

In terms of the roster above, I note that there are only 18 players, low for a camp. I expect that there will be room for more, especially Euro based players, for the tournament in May.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Just to add the restating (for convenience) that CONCACAF qualifying for the next summer's Worlds in Peru will be May 19-23, 2005 - Jeux Canada Games Stadium in St. John, New Brunswick, (Group B)against Mexico, UNCAF 2 and CFU 2 . Like last year in Victoria, the top team advances from Peru, and the second place in the Group plays off with the 2nd in the other Group for the last place in Peru.

(The U-20 Qualifying Group tournament for early June's WYC in Holland will be January 26-30, 2005 – San Pedro Sula, Honduras, against Honduras, Mexico and CFU 2, with top two advancing directly to Holland).

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1797

In terms of the roster above, I note that there are only 18 players, low for a camp. I expect that there will be room for more, especially Euro based players, for the tournament in May.

Beaches and others, off the top of your brain, any idea of possible Euro-based players that may play for us? I imagine Manny Gomez is of age, and Troy Gardezy, and a certain DeGuzman. Or are these guys too old?

And what about our chances at the U20 qualifiers? Is our next crew as strong as the last U20 group?

wow, two local boys for me on the team! chilliwack and abbotsford. i imagine they both play on the abby team that went to the nationals? chilliwack is one of those cities where if all the good players simply stayed in chilliwack then chilliwack would have a top club! kinda like what has happened to west ham united!

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Beaches and others, off the top of your brain, any idea of possible Euro-based players that may play for us? I imagine Manny Gomez is of age, and Troy Gardezy, and a certain DeGuzman. Or are these guys too old?

I have to plead almost zero lack of knowledge of our aspiring U-17's. The last gathering for games I heard of was the Ballymena NIreland tournament in April-May (see roster at

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2780&SearchTerms=ballymena )

and the Blaine , Minnesota tournament in July (see roster at:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3737&SearchTerms=Blaine

The Blaine tournament was actually the U-17 Developmental team, a different team, that was coached by Ray Clark rather than the National U-17 coached by Stephen Hart.

Most of the players at the Blaine tournament were right at 17 (it was a very competitve tournament) and thus not eligible for next year's tournaments. The Ballymena tournament was composed only of players who would be eligible, and one of the stated aims was some initial preparation for next year. Roughly half of the players who went to Ballymena are on the present list for the upcoming camp.

The overseas players at one or both of those two tournaments who are still eligible for the 2005 tournaments, were:

M KEREK, Robert SC Freiburg (Germany) 15-Jan-88 Freiburg GER

D McLEAN, Thomas Burnley FC (England) 22-Sep-88 Mississauga ON

M SEMINARA, Pasubio Carlo Salernitana Sport S.p.A. (Italy) 24-May- 88 Caledon East ON

None of these overseas players are on the current roster for the upcoming camp, and I don't know if that is based on availability or performance.

Gomez, Gardezy & deGuzman are all too old for this team.

Euro Based players who may be added include Thomas McLean (Burnley), Bruno Napoleao (rumoured to be a trialist at Newcastle?), Basi Seminara (Aquila), and Robert Kerek (Freiburg).

Jacob Lensky would also be eligible.

I have never seen it in writing that Lensky's father wants him to play for his home country (which I believe is Slovakia, rather than the Czech Republic), but it may be true.

....and Beachesl is correct on Seminara, he is with Salernitana, not Aquila, as I posted. Got him and Schiavone confused.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Hasn't it been suggested that his father wants him to play for the Czech Republic?

Perhaps, but if he is eligible for both Czech and Canada, he can play for Canada now aqnd still choose Czech later if that is his desire.

Archived