TVO feature on new York stadium

Glenn

Well, that's two straight features where soccer isn't mentioned. Steve Paikin was the host, and Stephen Brunt (Globe & Mail), Mary Ormsby (Toronto Star), and Bruce Dowbiggan (Calgary Herald) were the panel.

The general feeling seemed to be the York is the second-best site, and that the Argos and York will have to work to bring people out. Dowbiggan said that the CFL is really a walk up kind of league, and he can't think of many successful stadiums in North America that are built away from city cores. He added that there's no proof that people will drive from downtown to a suburban location.

They all seemed to think that, because there's nothing really nearby, the ambience will suffer. No sense of community. Ormsby also mentioned that the parking situation may not be as solid as it seems due to things like convocations, summer hockey tournaments, tennis, etc.

They talked a little about tailgate parties adding to the sense of community, but Ormsby and Brunt mentioned the difficulties that drinking and drviing and a more general culture of drinking could present, specifically because of Ontario liqour laws and the fact that the stadium will be on a university campus. Paikin also added that U of T look stupid at the end of it all. Hard to disagree with that part.

Surely with the creation of 'safe' teleportation technology your trivial concerns about conventional transportation, be it via a bi-pedal stroll, a four wheeled vehicular conveyance, or heaven forbid 'proletarian transport' to arrive from afar to York's Colliseum of sporting affairs will stamp out your fears. The scientific community, of which i am not apart of but occasionally rub shoulders with over a few spirited games of canasta, asure me that the issue is being addressed. Deadline of solution i can not provide.

Archived