Sutton to try out with Bolton (Confirmation)

loyola

I was at a university game today and someone who spoke with MTL Impact goalkeeper coach told me that Greg Sutton is gonna join Bolton this week. I've tried to search the internet about this but I found nothing, but maybe the annoucement will be made during the week. Also it would make sense that Bolton wants a back up keeper since their current back up is a 41 yrs old veteran. Jaskeleinen (sp???) is the first choice keeper and a very good one too.

I hope this isn't a false rumour but the source(gk coach with the Impact) seem credible. Will see what happen!

Here's the link for the RDS article confirming that Sutton is gonna have a try out with Bolton and other english clubs.

http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/165105.html

I'd love to see Sutton play in the EPL. I doubt he'd get a game, but you never know... if hes the #2 for Bolton, then theres a good chance the #1 will be injured. Or worst comes to worst, Sutton is loaned to a League One team. I'd love to see Sutton as our #1 for Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

I'd love to see Sutton play in the EPL. I doubt he'd get a game, but you never know...

Funny, that what was said about Howard when he joined Man U in the summer of 2003. Some posters on other sites, English and American, thought it was just a publicity stunt to raise ManU's profile in the US.

Just watched Sports 30 on RDS and they said that Greg Sutton is gone to England on trial with Bolton and also at other clubs but not specified. According to RDS Sutton is still under contract with the Impact but he has a clause enabling him to sign with a club of higher level.

I wish him good luck !!!

Echo that. Thirty two ain't nothing for a 'keep. And besides, who's our #1 keep next year? Onstad? Probably, but if there's a better option who'll be someone to challenge the younger kids coming up it makes it harder for Frankie to call in Pat. And that can't be anything but good.

Anyway. Good luck, man. Knock them dead.

F-E Corbin of RDS has posted on their website (and gone in-depth on Impactsoccer) about Sutton's trial. It seems that Bolton likes what they saw in the first week and are keeping him on for at least another week. Desantis expects Sutton will sign elsewhere as he has other options in England should Bolton not work out.

However, without a British passport (I think) or having work-permit conditions, I wonder how he'd pull off a signing. Is that Commonwealth 2-year "vacation visa" an option?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived