Who ate all the pasta?

canso

Carlo Corazzin!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who could look at this lumpy heap of never-was and think, "there's my goalscoring hero?" Who amongst us saw this should have retired already one trick glue horse as the decisive factor? And yet who does the manager turn to when he needs to score a goal to keep the dream alive?

Carlo Corazzin!!?!?!?

The wee Scots terrier Ian Hume had his tail up, saw three chances go begging, but anyone who has a sense for these things could see he was due to bury the next one that came to him. Unbelievably, his number goes up ten minutes into the second half. Who comes lumbering in to deny him his moment of glory?

Carlo Corazzin!?!?!?!?!?

Was there anyone out there who could honestly say they shared the vision of this flabby, lard ass coming off the bench to score the winner? Was there anyone who wasn't shocked and dismayed by the choice of substitute? Did anyone see Andy Sharpe's reaction when the board went up? Hume made his feelings obvious but is there anyone who wouldn't feel insulted at being told that you were not as good as...

Carlo Corazzin?!!?!?!?!?!?!

Blame Onstad for giving goals away, blame Watson for not holding his hand up and saying "Sub me instead coach!", blame the jet lag, blame NAFTA, the GST and Bob McCown. The image that will haunt me in my nightmares, the face of doom, is the face of...

Carlo ****ing Corazzin!!!!!!

His name will be forever be a curse, an epithet. I will spit his name at drivers who cut me off, it will be the worst insult I can think of for those who do me wrong.

You ****ing Corazzin!!!!!

It's a tradition amonst seamen to rename a ship that has bad luck. I think it would be fitting and reflective of Canada's diminished status in the world if the leaky, rusting death trap that our Government bartered for to bolster our joke of a navy, if the Chicoutimi was renamed the...

HMCS Carlo Corazzin!!!

He Made Canada Suck Carlo Corazzin!

He Might Catch a Stroke Carlo Corazzin!

He Made Canso Scream!!!!! You Cannot be serious!!!!CARLO CORAZZIN!!!!

quote:Originally posted by canso

It's a tradition amonst seamen to rename a ship that has bad luck. I think it would be fitting and reflective of Canada's diminished status in the world if the leaky, rusting death trap that our Government bartered for to bolster our joke of a navy, if the Chicoutimi was renamed the...

HMCS Carlo Corazzin!!!

Man, to bring up Chicoutimi ... that's classless. Wish you deleted

that part.

Maybe so but it was not intended to be a cheap joke. The point is they are both symbols of failure, of our diminished pride, of disaster brought about by beauracrats. Our success in global sporting events is as important in many ways as our ability to retain soverignty with a strong military when it comes to National Pride, and we are a cringing embarassment in both areas.

I apologize for seeming to take a light-hearted tone to these tragedies, I am as angry and distressed as you undoutedly are, but the point remains that our Canadian government is robbing us of our right to be proud of ourselves.

I defer to the words of Bill Shankly:

"Football is not a matter of life and death,

It's much more important than that."

I'm not sure why you would be angry with Carlo. Was he supposed to decline the selection? On being told to go into the game, was he supposed to say "No Frank, leave Iain in there"?

Agreed, he would not have looked out of place on my men's league team. But it's not his fault he was put in a position to fail.

Have to agree with the sentiment here, Carlo Corrazin has done nothing for the men's team since GC 2000 (although for that alone, he'll always have a place in my heart), and looked sorely out of shape and completely lost out there.

I think I swore along with Hume when I saw who he was replacing, to me it was an act of desperation by Yallop, which is a sign of inexperience. If Corrazin had to go in, why take out one of our most dangerous threats? Why not sub Grande out (which he did about 5 minutes later) and put Corrazin up top with Radz while Hume goes into the a-mid slot?

Or better yet, why not leave Corrazin nailed to the bench??? I think Simpson would have been a much better substitution that Corrazin, based on a) youth, B) fitness, c) club form, d) speed.

Seriously. Corrazin?

Marktci got it right. It's embarassing to come on this board after a failure to see 'Canadian Soccer Supporters' run some of our national team members through the mud. I don't know that I would have called Carlo and played him at this stage of his career either, but that was Frank Yallop's decision. If you want to run somebody's name through the mud do it to Frank Yallop. To call Carlo a 'never-was' is to call 75% of all national teamers never-wases, you're painting with a pretty wide brush when you start at one of the all-time goal scoring leaders for the country. All you can ask is that a guy gives 100%, I think that Carlo has done that throughout his career.

You get an 'A' for creative writing, but an 'F' in sharp shooting (Carlo wasn't to blame for being called and put in the game) and an 'F' in history.

Blair

quote:Originally posted by canso

but the point remains that our Canadian government is robbing us of our right to be proud of ourselves.

I defer to the words of Bill Shankly:

"Football is not a matter of life and death,

It's much more important than that."

What sort of patsy are you? Get off your ass a be proud on your own! Stop being passive and do something that makes you proud: do something in your community, coach a soccer team, pick up garbage, donate money to a charitable cause. There are many things to be proud about in this country. Military might and sporting prowess are merely two facets of what makes a country, and when it comes to military might, the vast majority of the 200 plus countries in this world are quite pathetic.

Your anger is understandable, but it does not excuse the classless comment about the Chicoutmi.

Stop railing against the bureaucrats and start taking real action.[xx(]

Just one more comment on the economic front. Ironic that you bring up funding of our military and sports programs in the same week when Canada announces a budget surplus five times what was forecast. This while the US records record deficits. Canada is the only G7 nation actively working to reduce its debt and the results can be seen in the unexpected surplus. If we agree that reducing the debt is a good idea (it reduces the costs of servicing the debt and therefore makes it easier to further reduce the debt) then the money has to come from somewhere. Ultimately, someone is going to be unhappy with whatever is cut (education? healthcare?).

While I'm on a roll here, something I noticed last night. Conspicuous by their absence on the advertising boards are the beer companies (I'll still consider Labatts and Molsons as being Canadian beer companies, for argument's sake). Between these two and Sleemans, couldn't one of them throw some money into the CSA (a la Budweiser and the USSF)? I would think that between a European owned brewery with two major brands associated with soccer worldwide (Bud and Carlsberg), another brewery with a significant Brazilian angle to promote, and a third brewery with rights to a number of European brews (as well as one trying to forge a national identity with its own brands), one of them could pump some money into the program, no? I know I'd do my bit to make their sponsorship worthwhile.

Now that we're really off-topic...

Like I said, if I was going for a cheap laugh I would have said something like this:

What do Carlo Corazzin and the Chicoutimi have in common?

They're both bad subs. Ha, Ha...ha.

That would have been in poor taste.

And Beav, you may have access to a good dictionary but you have no idea how to put together a logical argument. If you can feel better about Canada's world status in sporting and military terms by rationalizing that there is at least 200 or so other countries worse than us, than it's probably a safe conclusion that you might think Corazzin was a good choice because there were at least 200 or so fat, old, washed up, beer league slobs in the Vancouver area who would have been a worse choice than him. Or, by that same logic, there are at least 200 other rusted, dented, decommissioned, circa 1950 rattling death traps that our sailors could risk their lives in that would be worse than the one that cost Lt. Saunders his life, God rest his soul.

If picking garbagage off the streets makes you feel proud of your country, good on ya mate. You go ahead and turn a blind eye to the cronyism and cost-cutting that has caused the death of a young man's life, not to mention a young man's dream of playing in the World Cup.

Archived