which lineup is better?

stacks

The 2004 one is much better. The 1997 one was worst than even the 2000 squad. The 1997 team would have suffer a much worst fate than the 2000 and current team were it not for the fact that they were grouped in the semi-fianl round with a bunch of very weak teams. the group consisted of El Sal, Cuba and Panama. In the hex in 1997 canada and El salvador finished a distant last and next to last respectively. But the tables have turned now haven't they?

When the late GREAT Brian Clough signed goalkeeper Peter Shilton to Nottingham Forest, he said, "He's worth a goal a game". The same comparison could be made to Craig Forrest during the wonderful Gold Cup run. Pat Onstad is not in the same league as Forest, subsequently the 2004 team is severly hampered by not having a class goalie.

The 2004 edition is better. I'd pick de Guzman over Colin Miller, de Vos over Mitchell/Watson/

Yallop/Samuel, Stalteri over Dasovic, and Grande over Aunger.

Although I like Forrest and Bunbury, I believe the 2004 edition is playing at a higher level,

both on the club and international levels.

As for those who hate Onstad, I do think he has played well in the past games (other than Guatemala). It's just that people can forgive Craig Forrest letting in 8 goals against Mexico,

but would never give Pat his due against Honduras.

Archived