Frank Yallop on Prime Time Sports Today

Rivaldo

Wow, did you guys here what those two analysts had to say after Frank left? Some of it being true but they sounded like idiots. They can't seem to figure out how Toronto would get an MLS team, they thought there weren't any fans or grassroots for the program (CNT). They said that the A-League gets practically no fan support (go to an Impact game dumbass). That one guy said that the program is waiting for someone to flush the toilet on it.

As silly as some of the things that Bob McCown and the other guy said were, they made the best points of the interview. They called a spade a spade.

Yallop just said the typical stuff. Blah blah blah. They can talk about plans all they want, but until we see some consistent, long-term action, it's all useless. [|)]

Yeah, it wasn't all that great in terms of content, but it's always nice to hear Frank Yallop.

The two radio guys didn't know if Canada was mathematically eliminated yet or not, which I thought was pretty pathetic journalism. Unless, of course, they wanted to underscore how little they (being representative of the average Canadian, I suppose) followed the progress of the national team.

Frank reiterated his interest in getting a MLS franchise in Toronto.

They did make some accurate points about the fact that huge youth participation has not translated into public support of our soccer leagues or national team. And how on earth can the government throw funds into a program and/or stadium when there isn't much demonstrated support from the public at large. Lots of cynicism, some of it justified.

Blair

The hosts made total asses of themselves and here's why: they played the platitude game with Yallop, served him long-winded, unfocused softball questions and then asked scathing rhetorical questions after he left. I couldn't believe it.

"Who is going to support MLS? Where are they going to play? The CSA can't just buy an MLS team, who's dumb enough to put $5, 10, 50 million for a pro soccer team when all the other failed?"

Those questions, ranting as they may be, are the questions! And they had a guest that may have been able to answer them and they didn't have the balls to ask them.

And this "it's a tough struggle for soccer in this country, but thanks for coming Frank, we have our fingers crossed for you." b.s. then five minutes later saying the program is in the toilet waiting to be flushed. That's is some of the worst two-faced embarassing 'journalism' I've ever seen. Maybe their normal audience's attention span isn't that long.

Kissing the ass of a guest you admire is embarassing, but then kissing ass and lying through your teeth while doing it really sad. If you're going to be combative, then at least give the guest a chance to respond.

I have nothing against soccer detractors. They can rip the game all they like. Having people with strong opinions is never a bad thing. These clowns could have actually offered us an interesting interview and asked important relevant questions, but they don't have the balls to ask the real questions even when they're more skeptical than the rest of us.

Oh well, another great programming move by Sportsnet. Not only are they airing a radio show on TV, one of the worst ideas I've heard in years. But they picked a schizophrenic show with a good cop-bad cop formula where the good cop portion sounds like Chris Farley's host on SNL and the bad cop sounds like Howard Stern with less of a clue.

cheers,

matthew

I didn't listen or see the broadcast, but from what I've heard it doesn't surprise me - this is Bob "I'm a total idiot" McCown after all. He doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to soccer and isn't even qualified to watch it, let alone talk about it.

That's true, he is an idiot and anti-soccer. I remember him talking about watching the World Cup, and saying something like "No wonder the fan's are always rioting, the game is so boring they've got nothing better to do." And the morning after a match when Saudi Arabia was playing "How come all these guys are named Al?"

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

McCown has always been extremely anti-soccer...

What just because he speaks his mind? Canadian soccer (football) is

totally F**KED right now, were about as low as we could sink, unless

we leave Yallop in charge , we will go lower. Frank needs to be sacked right now, hell he should have been sacked after our terrible display against Belize, only 8 goals over two against a side that

that we should have been able to run up a cricket score against a side like that.As long as the CSA continue to hire baffoons like Yallop our national side will do dick all in International football.

Sad but true........................

Ever get the impression that SoccerBeast has a personal vendatta against Yallop? I wonder what motivates such anger? I'm not sure, but I think Frank isn't gay, so I doubt SoccerBeast is a spurned lover. And it is pretty clear SoccerBeast doesn't know shi.te about soccer, so it isn't likely he ever played for Yallop (or was cut from one of Yallop's sides.) Perhaps SoccerBeast is related to the Osieks? Though the Osieks have displayed exemplary professionalism in all that they do, so it is not very likely that they've spawned such an irrational demon as the Beast. To be honest, I cannot fathom what drives such venomous attacks? At minimum, it is a curiosity, this little fellow named SoccerBeast. I think I'll write a story about him.

Archived