Cosmos

L'Impact

Tea Men

Corinthians

Club America

Boca Juniors

Sol de America

12 de Octubre

Personally, I'm really tired of professional clubs choosing names based on the fact kids like things with teeth. I thought I was a so-called "Euro Snob." But looking through the South American tables I notice that I'm not alone. In Uruguay you have Sporting, Liverpool, Wanderers. In Peru you have many Uniteds, Athleticos, and Boys. In Argentina you have Arsenal! Etc, etc. I love the names above for their uniqueness, but I 'd rather my club be called Wanderers than Raiders any day.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I thought I was a so-called "Euro Snob." But looking through the South American tables I notice that I'm not alone. In Uruguay you have Sporting, Liverpool, Wanderers. In Peru you have many Uniteds, Athleticos, and Boys. In Argentina you have Arsenal! Etc, etc.

But the South American names go way back to when the clubs were formed. They were heavily influenced by Europeans (in some cases even formed by them). It's not that they were trying to capitalize on the big names as is the goal of North American teams today.

I want to know what Carabins are ? or a Nittny Lion what's a Nittny ?

It's the Yankee influence Mud Hens , River Rats . I always liked the name Wheat Kings but not any other name with King stuck on the end .

Also of course as has been brought before on this board nothing beats the New Westminister Salmonbellies. Although the Memorial Universty Beothuks isn't bad .

Rainbow Warriors I'm undecided

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I want to know what Carabins are ? or a Nittny Lion what's a Nittny ?

It's the Yankee influence Mud Hens , River Rats . I always liked the name Wheat Kings but not any other name with King stuck on the end .

Also of course as has been brought before on this board nothing beats the New Westminister Salmonbellies. Although the Memorial Universty Beothuks isn't bad .

Rainbow Warriors I'm undecided

Nittany is the valley where Penn State University is located. As for Rainbow Warriors, they are just the Hawaii Warriors now.

Actually, you guys are wrong on the Carabin. A carabine is a type of rifle. So logically, when I first heard the name a few years back, I assumed that a carabin was a rifle-shooter (like in the 17th Century or whatever).

It actually means a student in medecine! [:P]

Hmm, I always thought that it was "carbine". I know the .303 Lee-Enfields that the Commonwealth used through WW II (the No. 4 rifle) were full length barrels. For Korea the barrel was shortened for jungle fighting, thereby leading to the No. 5 Lee-Enfield, the Jungle Carbine.

Back on topic, some of my favourite names from across North American sport include:

Vancouver Whitecaps

Nebraska Cornhuskers

Brandon Wheat Kings

Gatineau Olympique

DC United

some older ones that come to mind include ...

Toronto Blizzard

Quebec Nordiques

quote:Originally posted by matthew

What Andrew said is correct, but the Lions were named after the mountain Lions found on Mount Nittany near the school.

I have no idea what a Carabin is.

No love for the N. Illinois Salukis?

I always liked the San Diego Conquistadors.

cheers,

matthew

More on the Nittany Lions.

http://www.psu.edu/ur/about/nittany.html

Sorry you asked argh1? :D

Other great names are the Delaware Blue Hens, the Minnesota Golden Gophers and the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.

I've always liked Toronto Falcons better than Blizzard or Lynx. I think you could design a really nice logo around it. Better than that house cat that the Lynx use, anyway. I thought this was connected to the city coat of arms, but the bird on the amalgamated city's coat of arms is actually an eagle. Maybe the old City of Toronto had a falcon, though.

Other names I like: (New) Westminster Royals, Norwood Wanderers (the first Challenge Cup winners), North Shore United, Ottawa Intrepid, Resolutes SC (Halifax).

Archived