CSA fights BACK!

Alex

But what is the CSA actually going to do about it? Probably nothing as usual[}:)]. This follows the typical pattern. Figurehead Andy Sharpe, a great common bloke with no real power, complains about something, and this consoles some of the outrage. However Pipe, who has the reponsibility and the contacts with FIFA and CONCACAF, does nothing. Same thing with respect to the seating policies at MNT matches, with respect to dealing with foreign clubs, and with respect to other irritating issues. More of the same.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

But what is the CSA actually going to do about it? Probably nothing as usual[}:)]. This follows the typical pattern. Figurehead Andy Sharpe, a great common bloke with no real power, complains about something, and this consoles some of the outrage. However Pipe, who has the reponsibility and the contacts with FIFA and CONCACAF, does nothing. Same thing with respect to the seating policies at MNT matches, with respect to dealing with foreign clubs, and with respect to other irritating issues. More of the same.

Now that is sad but true.

Here's a national governing body that will have little to do with the pro game unless it's promoting MLS in you know where .....saying it's main focus is on national and amateur soccer .

Our MNT has been the victim of questionable refereeing . This MNT is one of your priorities Mr. Sharpe don't just bitch ....act !

The assesment of refs in Edmonton cannot stand , challenge.

I'm still too ticked at the phantom off-side to say anything .

But we've seen this for years . Get off your arses CSA challenge in maybe a not so gentlemanly way.

Geezus, when I read the topic title I wasn't sure if the CSA was fighting back against us or SportsNet.

Odviously, neither.

I'll echo Beachesl. This outburst was theatre though. It happened with Pipe's approval because certainly Sharpe knows fines are coming fast and furiously the CSAs way. The interesting part is going to be how far is the CSA willing to ratchet this up.

Because you know, in a quiet sports season at home the CSA could realy milk this for what it's worth if they want to go Winnipeg Fury all over CONCACAF. The question is do they have the balls and if they do where did they come from?

Allies within CONCACAF who have them to spare (ie USA)?

Doughtfull. Unhappy rich sponsors at home who where expecting at least a trip to the hex if not Germany? Think we're hitting closer to home.

Tell them they could take there World Youth Cup and stick it up their ass because no one over here is interested in pro-wrestling ref'ing on the soccer pitch anyway? That's what I'd do. Let Toadie Warner take it back to the West Indies with him.

Kidding myself of course. Like Beachesl wrote, it's all feel-good theatre. A whole lotta mouth and no action.

Did like the bit that as much as said that the problem isn't just the ref'ing but the oversight committees. Must be a terrible thing to be a ref in CONCACAF living with the burden that you're perfect in every way. Wonder what it takes to get into that club?

P.S. Conspiracy Theory!!!

Just had a last second Conspiracy Theory thought! Got to have a Conspiracy Theory in every thread so here's mine.

Sharpe's after Pipe's job.

HA! You heard it here first!

I am not sure that Sharpe is willing to go that extra mile. So yes I think that all he is doing is letting off steam and showing the players and fans that he cares. But as the man who is ultimately FIFA's representative in Canada, he must be aware that any further action might involve bitting the hand that feeds him. So sadly, nothing will come of this outburst and it will pass and be forgotten.

To really clean things up, it has to be third parties that get involved and start openning cans of worms( eg.: Law enforcement, media, independant regulatory bodies)to ultimately clean up these kind of messes and ensure that the game is officiated fairly and that the field isn't tilted to one side. But in places like the US and Canada the public at large don't care enough. Would these things ever happen to Canada in hockey? and would people forget that easily?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Canada could try to pull an Israel and ask to play outside of their region for future qualifiers - are we close enough to Asia to try there?

A more realistic option in ensuring a European officiating crew for all of our games.

I was suggesting that weeks ago. It's time Canada demanded that this issue be taken serious. We have had Euro refs before for World Cup Qualifiers, and considering that we have been screwed for 3 goals and should be on our way to the Hex, I hardly think it's an unreasonable demand.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Well, any suggestions as what specifically he can DO?

I mean, I'm just as frustrated as anyone on this board, but

what the hell do you expect the man (Sharpe) to do? And does

anyone know FOR SURE that he hasn't followed any avenue?

As for seating policies, RCMP, and crap like that, that IS the

CSA's (and the provincial body's) responsibility.

Andy Sharpe, God bless his benign and well-meaning but ineffective old soul, will be a guest on Saturday's Inside Soccer radio, scheduled to be on the program at 4.20pm (Pacific Time), or 7:20 pm tarantatime.

You can call in to the program 1 888 514 2100 to ask him questions.

To listen live, or after next Tuesday on archives, http://www.worldtalkradio.com/show.asp?sid=26

The outburst from Sharpe is positive because keeping quiet and being diplomatic has obviously not cleaned up the situation. My only complaint is that the outburst should have occured after the first Honduras game as this might have made officials more careful about getting away with pulling the same stunt twice.

On this matter, there is very little that the CSA can do, other than to raise a holy stick within CONCACAF: The appeals section of the FIFA regulations clearly prohibit appeals of refereeing decision:

"4 No protests may be made against the referee’s decisions regarding facts connected with play, such decisions being final."

So all Sharpe and the CSA can do is rattle some chains. I hope that this is simply not posturing and that the CSA does not let it go. Hopelessly optimistic on my part I suppose.

Should have happened 15 years ago this is like the worst deja vu nightmare you have ever experienced.

The CSA has no will its futile to complain or talk to them with any respect.They should be removed and everyone should petition that removal now.

Start by using that petition site that did the don cherry cbc thing and send it into the media when its on.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

On this matter, there is very little that the CSA can do, other than to raise a holy stick within CONCACAF: The appeals section of the FIFA regulations clearly prohibit appeals of refereeing decision:

"4 No protests may be made against the referee’s decisions regarding facts connected with play, such decisions being final."

So all Sharpe and the CSA can do is rattle some chains. I hope that this is simply not posturing and that the CSA does not let it go. Hopelessly optimistic on my part I suppose.

Yes, the only way the CSA can have an impact in this regard--since the issue of poor officiating is systemic to the core--is to lobby for changes that will ensure proper officiating. There is nothing they can do by themselves. Change will only occur if MANY of the CONCACAF members join together and present both FIFA and CONCACAF with its concerns and potential solutions. I would suggest that the CSA do what it can to get the USSF on side, as well as many of the other nations in our group. Who else feels that the officiating is an major issue? Our friend from Honduras indicated that Hondurans often feel the officiating is a problem, so I doubt we are the only ones suffering. Nobody will take real action to mend the situation if only one country is spitting mad about a couple of calls in a couple of recent games. (Because that is how they'll see it: "That's sports.")

If their isn't the political will to make changes, then it won't happen. Come on Mr Sharpe, give the Americans a phone call.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

It's time to think outside the box. If we want meaningful change, then we must take bold action.

Until Sharpe's comments are heard internationally, they are useless, and I don't see them being picked-up by Reuters. If Canada threatens (note the word threaten) to boycott our remaining matches unless this problem is addressed, it would suddenly make international headlines. Canada does not want this problem kept within CONCACAF, we want to make it known to everyone in FIFA. That puts the heat on CONCACAF & Warner to seriously address the issue.

If Canada requested to be moved to another confederation (unlikely to happen, but that's not the point), that would make international headlines and again put heat on Warner & CONCACAF to address the issue.

We are only limited by our imagination and motivation.

The Voyageurs should have clips of all our bogus calls (3 goals) on the front page of the web-site. We have plenty of hits on our page and should be displaying the 'phantom' calls and corruption. There's no sense crying about the CSA when we do nothing about it ourselves.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

It's time to think outside the box. If we want meaningful change, then we must take bold action.

Until Sharpe's comments are heard internationally, they are useless, and I don't see them being picked-up by Reuters. If Canada threatens (note the word threaten) to boycott our remaining matches unless this problem is addressed, it would suddenly make international headlines. Canada does not want this problem kept within CONCACAF, we want to make it known to everyone in FIFA. That puts the heat on CONCACAF & Warner to seriously address the issue.

If Canada requested to be moved to another confederation (unlikely to happen, but that's not the point), that would make international headlines and again put heat on Warner & CONCACAF to address the issue.

We are only limited by our imagination and motivation.

The Voyageurs should have clips of all our bogus calls (3 goals) on the front page of the web-site. We have plenty of hits on our page and should be displaying the 'phantom' calls and corruption. There's no sense crying about the CSA when we do nothing about it ourselves.

That seems like a good start, but I would like to know what clout the CSA has within CONCACAF or FIFA that these threats would mean anything to the overall football community? Would it mean anything to the other teams in the confederation, I mean the Americans or Mexicans or anyone else aren't worried about it. I mean you all have been screwed royally, i agree, but it would take a whole contingent of nations within the confederation to change anything. And I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

quote:Originally posted by SamIAm

but I would like to know what clout the CSA has within CONCACAF or FIFA that these threats would mean anything to the overall football community?

I agree with that sentiment. I mean, would we care if, say, Indonesia, Bolivia, Austria or Liberia took a similar approach? No, they'd probably be written off as teams that can't be successful and so are whining instead.

Actually, even relatively successful teams like Italy, Spain and Portugal were laughed at for whining when most people felt they should have been looking in the mirror.

Archived