Oct 9 WCQ: Honduras v Canada POST-match thread [R]

DJT

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

You know what's a funny thing though? You allways seem to be able to find little gems here and there which give you hope for the future. Kinda like following Canada I suppose...

It`s true!..Soccer is a strange sport where any team can upset another, which means that "miracles" if you can call them that happen in every tournament that`s played...So if a team plays well like Canada has the last 3 games, the results tend to come by themselves. SO I wouldn`t be surprised if Canada wins the next games and miraculously qualify....as long as they continue performing the way they have been.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all.

I just got back from a long weekend of camping in the woods with no tv, radio, internet or people into soccer.

All I've got to say is...

Holy crap.

Can't we ever get a break? I'm one of those guys who doesn't really want to jump on conspiracy band-wagons. But we are either cursed by several gods, or something amazingly fishy is going on. It is, quite frankly, astonishing.

I suggest rioting in the street. No one will care otherwise.

Can we agree that this is the best MNT we've gotten together in 20 years? And this is what happens? I know, I know...two games to go. (hmmmmmm Dr. Seuss?)

I know, I know

Two games to go

We did not win one

This is know

We did not win one

Though we tried

It's just the refs

They've all been bribed

But really...man, I'm disappointed. I hate concacaf.

At this point, I should move to Liechtenstein. A draw for them was big news.

I know the matter of the offside has been beaten to death. I was away for the thanksgiving weekend but I did see the game so here are my two cents. The fact that the AR did not raise his flag it does not prevent the referee to call an offside on his own. Pretty stupid but it is within the laws. In the play in question DeRosario was NOT offside because he was behind the ball when it was headed by DeVos. If you are behind the ball you are not offside regardless where the opponent players were if any is around. That inludes the GK too. Honduras must be paying good money to these referees.

48 hours later, and I'm still having trouble talking about what happened. We have good excuses. But I am ****ing sick of having excuses. Neil Davidson described it well in his article today - "death by a thousand cuts".

So I won't talk about the result, but I'll mention a couple of things that I haven't read here.

1. When the players were huddled in a circle before the kickoff - it was De Vos who was doing all the talking. He was leading the troops, as he should be. I'm glad that the lack of an armband didn't him from acting like a leader. As sickened as I am by everything that has happened, I feel the worst for De Vos.

2. The Honduran fans starting cheering for Canada in the last ten minutes. At one point, they started cheering "Ole!" during each connection in a series of Canadian passes. Then they whistled and jeered the Hondurans when they gained possession. It was like when the Russians started cheering for Rocky in Rocky IV. Unfortunately, the Hondurans managed to win them over before the match was through.

48 hours later, and I'm still having trouble talking about what happened. We have good excuses. But I am ****ing sick of having excuses. Neil Davidson described it well in his article today - "death by a thousand cuts".

So I won't talk about the result, but I'll mention a couple of things that I haven't read here.

1. When the players were huddled in a circle before the kickoff - it was De Vos who was doing all the talking. He was leading the troops, as he should be. I'm glad that the lack of an armband didn't him from acting like a leader. As sickened as I am by everything that has happened, I feel the worst for De Vos.

2. The Honduran fans starting cheering for Canada in the last ten minutes. At one point, they started cheering "Ole!" during each connection in a series of Canadian passes. Then they whistled and jeered the Hondurans when they gained possession. It was like when the Russians started cheering for Rocky in Rocky IV. Unfortunately, the Hondurans managed to win them over before the match was through.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

'Canada is a minor power in CONCACAF.' Is that a justification for Canada having to tolerate biased/corrupt officiating ? If it is (and you may be correct), that's a pretty sad statement and the exact reason why I have suggested that Canada take firm action to address this matter. The mere suggestion 'Canada's minor status' is justification for the treatment Canada recieves is reason for Canada not to bother with this tournament until the situation is rectified. Clearly Canada has no hope of advancing when half our goals are disallowed for bogus calls.

'China have a weak group,' is not the same as Canada continually facing 'phantom calls' that will result in another early exit from World Cup Qualifying. Never mind Asia, look at T&T's group (St Kitts and St Vincent, guaranteed to the Hex).

Nor would I agree with the comment that 'the rest of CONCACAF is a sideshow.' Jamaica, Honduras and Costa Rica are all major regional powers that have made the big show in the past and are capable of beating Mexico or the US on any given day.

well I am not sure what could be done. FIFA is led by an idiot like Blatter. CONCACAF is led by Jack Warner. Canada is led by Kevan Pipe.

This needs a wholesale change and I think the only way is to have video replays at WCQs. Being a ref is a tough job and it's easy to make dubious calls. You add the political and corrupt angle which is readily available in any sports and it spells trouble. FIFA should be able to do this financially for the qualifiers and if they are serious about Fair Play, then it's the only way.

I am not sure how Canadian protests could change things. There is just not enough clout to make the changes that are needed. You almost have to get a few big shot players like Pele, Platini or Beckenbauer to accept that philosophy and then, you might be able to introduce this change.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

'Canada is a minor power in CONCACAF.' Is that a justification for Canada having to tolerate biased/corrupt officiating ? If it is (and you may be correct), that's a pretty sad statement and the exact reason why I have suggested that Canada take firm action to address this matter. The mere suggestion 'Canada's minor status' is justification for the treatment Canada recieves is reason for Canada not to bother with this tournament until the situation is rectified. Clearly Canada has no hope of advancing when half our goals are disallowed for bogus calls.

'China have a weak group,' is not the same as Canada continually facing 'phantom calls' that will result in another early exit from World Cup Qualifying. Never mind Asia, look at T&T's group (St Kitts and St Vincent, guaranteed to the Hex).

Nor would I agree with the comment that 'the rest of CONCACAF is a sideshow.' Jamaica, Honduras and Costa Rica are all major regional powers that have made the big show in the past and are capable of beating Mexico or the US on any given day.

well I am not sure what could be done. FIFA is led by an idiot like Blatter. CONCACAF is led by Jack Warner. Canada is led by Kevan Pipe.

This needs a wholesale change and I think the only way is to have video replays at WCQs. Being a ref is a tough job and it's easy to make dubious calls. You add the political and corrupt angle which is readily available in any sports and it spells trouble. FIFA should be able to do this financially for the qualifiers and if they are serious about Fair Play, then it's the only way.

I am not sure how Canadian protests could change things. There is just not enough clout to make the changes that are needed. You almost have to get a few big shot players like Pele, Platini or Beckenbauer to accept that philosophy and then, you might be able to introduce this change.

Archived