4 more years to go

soccerbeast

Alas the road to germany 2006 for Canada ends tonight> After playing

3 poor matches up to now including two at home, Canada head to Honduras trying to make up for mistakes made in the last 3 games, won;t be done. Yallop has again names Pat Onstad the starting keeper,

which is why he shouldn't be national team coach, Onstad has been useless in the 3 games to date and partly responsible for the mess the

team is now in. After tonights game Yallop should be removed once and for all from the national team job, he has proven he can't handle the

job> The CSA also has to get it's house in order,they have to make a real honest effort to get Canada playing more then 3-4 times a year,

but now out of the WCQ that seems highly unlikely. Before the next qualifying starts for 2010 in South africa the CSA has to get a Canadian pro league going, if not we'll be in the same situation 4 years from now. Moving the current youth team into the national side

is a must, Radz,Pesch.Onstad, won;t be around in 4 years (thank god for that) and the yougnsters must be given a chance. Come on CSA

lets see something positive come out of this mess.[xx(]

After watching the game from Honduras late into the morning, i can honestly say Canada finnally played a great game this round except for some poor goalkeeping by Pat Onstad will allowed Hoduras to tie the match. His positioning play has got to be brought into question. It's time for Lars to be brought in for our final two games, maybe some of the world youth u-20 team that did so well at the last WYC. The second

goal that Canada scored looked good enough,clearly onside but thats the breaks. On to the 2005 Gold Cup, with a bit of widom the CSA will make major changes within the manager, and player sides.

2 mental breakdowns that cost us 3 points total and a screwjob that cost us another 2 points is Yallop's fault. Okay, I understand. Some people are so clouded by their own beliefs that they don't care to actually see the bigger picture.

Yallop for 2010!

Alex

quote:Originally posted by Alex M

2 mental breakdowns that cost us 3 points total and a screwjob that cost us another 2 points is Yallop's fault. Okay, I understand. Some people are so clouded by their own beliefs that they don't care to actually see the bigger picture.

Yallop for 2010!

Alex

If Yallop keeps his job beyond this WCQ will be a miracle &

a crime at the same time. He doesn't deserve to be around for 2010,

he job was to get us to the World Cup in 2006 and he has failed be time. If the CSA was any credibilty at all they must bring in

a quailied manager. Go to Europe/South America, heck even

Concacaf where a head man could be found. The 2 mental breakdowns

as you said, are Yallops responsibilities, he's to get the players

to stop making the careless plays they some time make, don't you agree? As far as the goal disallowed? Like i said it looked good,

but them are the breaks. We have got less then a year to build a

good squad for the Gold Cup 2005, and removing the manager and some over the hill players (Radz, he wouldn't have come back for that

tournament anyway)Pesch, Watson,Onstad, to make way for some of the younger players ,Hume,Occean,Simpson,Hutchinson etc.

Sorry if I sound reactionary here but I've allways felt that if we didn't qualify for Germany Yallop should be fired. He was brought in on one express mission and that was qualifying for the next World Cup. The timing may not have been to his advantage but I didn't tell him to take on the job under anything but the most opportune circumstances. He took his chances with knowing full well the narrow time frame available to him to put together a winning side. The qualifying groups where already know, as was the player pool.

So Mr.Yallop put his neck on the line. Good for him. Maybe bad for us. We'll never know if Holger or Miller or anyone else could've pulled it off, that's just the way it is.

Now the impressions that were going about after Yallop's hiring and the realitys of the job he took with the CSA may be quite different. Frankie may have been told win or loose you're our man for the contract. Which is allways a nice security to encourage employment. I don't know. I do know the whole epic earlier this year gave everyone the impression that the CSA was pulling out all stops to improve our chances at qualifying this time around, not next time or the time after.

But that's just my humble opinion. I dought very much that the CSA will sack Yallop. Just can't see the CSA paying Osiek, Yallop, and a new man all at once.

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

After watching the game from Honduras late into the morning, i can honestly say Canada finnally played a great game this round except for some poor goalkeeping by Pat Onstad will allowed Hoduras to tie the match. His positioning play has got to be brought into question. It's time for Lars to be brought in for our final two games, maybe some of the world youth u-20 team that did so well at the last WYC. The second

goal that Canada scored looked good enough,clearly onside but thats the breaks. On to the 2005 Gold Cup, with a bit of widom the CSA will make major changes within the manager, and player sides.

Onstad's net keeping was fine, his positioning for that goal wasn't an issue. No one could stop that one. He made some good saves in this game.

quote:Originally posted by denis

Onstad's net keeping was fine, his positioning for that goal wasn't an issue. No one could stop that one. He made some good saves in this game.

Onstad could have saved that shot, it wasn't that great of a shot,

he's just past his prime, Lars would have saved it[:o)][}:)]:):D

I really don't like Pat Onstad at all but honestly I have absolutely nothing to say against his last night's performance. Actually I find that he played pretty well. His best performance so far with the MNT that I witnessed. The whole team played extremely well. If we had played the first 3 games like that (Including the game in Edmonton) Canada would be without any doubt right now in the top 2 of our group.

quote:Originally posted by Christian B.

I really don't like Pat Onstad at all but honestly I have absolutely nothing to say against his last night's performance. Actually I find that he played pretty well. His best performance so far with the MNT that I witnessed. The whole team played extremely well. If we had played the first 3 games like that (Including the game in Edmonton) Canada would be without any doubt right now in the top 2 of our group.

I agree that if they played the 3 previous games like the one in Honduras, they would have had a great chance of going through, but

the fact remains they did not. 2 very poor games at home cost this

team any chance of Germany 2006. Now with 2 games remaining lets see some of the U-20 team get a chance,we have nothing to lose at this

point in time.

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

2 very poor games at home cost this

team any chance of Germany 2006. Now with 2 games remaining lets see some of the U-20 team get a chance,we have nothing to lose at this

point in time.

1 horrific game at home the 1st game . 1 horrific example of officiating at home .

2 games on the road played well with-out the results we needed .

My opinion only....but there can only be one winner . Fairweather fans are a dime a dozen. If all you want are wins you'll never be satisfied with any team in any sport.

Canada is not a soccer country , no matter how much we die-hards want it to be . Players and coaches come and go but the team remains and should always get our support.

Coach Yallop was hired recently. I will give him this WCQ this upcoming Gold Cup , next Gold Cup and maybe even next WCQ. We can't hire and fire coaches after every tourney 'cuz they don't live up to expectations quickly , my gawd we'd have 4 new coaches every 4 years.

My question is do we really need a full-time national coach. But that's a different issue .

As to the older or more mature players . You can't throw them out with bath water after every unsuccesfull campaign. How many players do you think we have ! Also what message would that send to the younger players that we eventually want to bring on to the MNT?

The players themselves will tell the team when they want to retire from international competition or see that they can't compete with the youngins.

Geez man , I know success is important but learn to accept defeat gracefully or your whole life in following sport will be one big disapointment !

Go Canada GO

There's still two games in this round . Play hard...Play proud

You are Canada's team.

Soccerbeast you are wrong it will take Canada more than 4 years..I put it at 8 years..to even have a chance of qualifying..face it..without a national league Canada is not going anywhere..and say what you say Voyageurs..Canada does not have proven youngsters of international calibre..sure they're playing in Europe..but what's the point of playing in 2nd or 3rd tier leagues..when most accomplished youngsters in their age category are plying their trade in their respective or European top leagues. I made this argument in the past..and those who know me know where I stand..I lurk back to shadows once again..and hope that somebody actually puts words into action and forces the resignation of the CSA by any means.

Cheers,

Nolberto S.

But is the level our players play at in their club season as important as how often they come together as a national team? What happens if a team like Guatemala qualifies for the World Cup, that would certainly prove this theory wrong. In regards to our last team to qualify in '86, were many of those players playing top tier European football?

Sorry forgot to include in my message the South American and Central American leagues. If anyone even watches TV, the Guatemalan league is very competitive although not on par with Mexico, USA, Costa Rica or Honduras in Central America..but competitive nonetheless..to say that because Guetemala is getting results because their team jelled at the right time, while we have "supposedly" a better team on paper than them, because we have European players is absurd..as I mentioned in the past to the Voyageurs..why must a player always turn to Europe if South America or Central America (including Mexico) has equal if not better options, although not good pay, but still competitive to at least get noticed by European scouts. I would understand if a player is playing in a premier league in the top ten European leagues..but playing in Div. 1 or lower..that's just insane..and now our youth teams are playing at lower club divisions, because we don't have developmental capacity (which is what a professional league is for).

quote:Originally posted by Nolberto S.

Sorry forgot to include in my message the South American and Central American leagues. If anyone even watches TV, the Guatemalan league is very competitive although not on par with Mexico, USA, Costa Rica or Honduras in Central America..but competitive nonetheless..to say that because Guetemala is getting results because their team jelled at the right time, while we have "supposedly" a better team on paper than them, because we have European players is absurd..as I mentioned in the past to the Voyageurs..why must a player always turn to Europe if South America or Central America (including Mexico) has equal if not better options, although not good pay, but still competitive to at least get noticed by European scouts. I would understand if a player is playing in a premier league in the top ten European leagues..but playing in Div. 1 or lower..that's just insane..and now our youth teams are playing at lower club divisions, because we don't have developmental capacity (which is what a professional league is for).

I don't disagree with your notion that many of the lower divisions or smaller leagues in Europe are not the mecca that some make them out to be. But on the other hand I have seen nothing so far in WCQ to suggest that we have ever been outclassed in any games. Granted we have not ever really dominated either the way that we dominated T&T in WCQ 2000 in Edmonton. Oddly, the kind of players that have hurt us so far have been MLS players ( eg.: Guevarra from Honduras and Ruiz from Guatemala). Unlike our guys, the oppostion doesn't have to travel as much to play. When you watch the games the difference has been a combination of things that have little ( if not nothing) to do with skill and talent. Trust me on this!

In fact, some of the A-league players ( ie.: players who have played in the a-league or USL this past season at one point or another) have more than held their own. And at the same time, SOME of the players who play outside the EPL (eg.: lower division) in england have not really distinguished themselves from the A-LEAGUERS.

Rather the difference has been a combination things that are off-the-pitch related:

lack of preparation matches, travel, lack of fan support, officiating, player utilization, opportunism, mental toughness, strategy, discipline.

This may sound like excuses but they are not. We have made several untimely miscues late in games that resulted in goals against. These could be attributed indirectly to travel fatigue, mental tougness and discipline. We ave not had more than 9.5 K for any home game and you cannot create an hostile environment and a 13th man with that few fans.

Officiating cost us one game for sure and possibly even two games. you might say we could have 6 points instead of two right now.

In summing up, because of the off field obstacles that our player face, we have to be significantly better than our opposition. That hasn't been the case. But I have see NOTHING to suggest that we have been consistanly outclassed throughout any game. The first game was our worst game, but beyond that we have traded chances fairly evenly with the oppostion. so whether or not our players play in Guatemalan league or not doesn't make a difference. Plus, Players will go where they are wanted. Ever consider that maybe they do not play in South and central american leagues because they are not wanted down there?

It's not a matter of not being wanted Free-kick..it's a matter of trying or looking for opportunities..of course the language barrier is a major hurdle as well as skills..but both can be overcome with a little grit and determination and practicing. Remember Irasto Knights from the Lynx..I know he's not Canadian..but I bring him up because he actually managed to obtain a trial contract down in Peru..granted he only lasted 5 games..but he left an impression down their..so you see..if Irasto Knights can get a trial contract (with a little help from one of they Lynx scouts) and he was an A-league player..why can't others try to get themselves noticed, like he did..maybe a Canadian player actually manages to open doors to other leagues that take notice of perhaps giving more Canadians a shot.

quote:Originally posted by Nolberto S.

Soccerbeast you are wrong it will take Canada more than 4 years..I put it at 8 years..to even have a chance of qualifying..face it..without a national league Canada is not going anywhere..and say what you say Voyageurs..Canada does not have proven youngsters of international calibre..sure they're playing in Europe..but what's the point of playing in 2nd or 3rd tier leagues..when most accomplished youngsters in their age category are plying their trade in their respective or European top leagues. I made this argument in the past..and those who know me know where I stand..I lurk back to shadows once again..and hope that somebody actually puts words into action and forces the resignation of the CSA by any means.

Cheers,

Nolberto S.

All i said was we have to wait another 4 years to attempt to qualify

again, to actually do it might take another 20+ years, but at the rate

were going we'll never get to the world cup again, sorry folks thats just they way i see it. And i was the one that predicted after the loss to Guatemala at Vancouver that we were out, and i have been proven right again. Listen to the BEAST he knows.:)

Archived