TSN desperate for content

Daniel

Actually, I liked the earlier days of TSN (1989-92). There was more variety if not great broadcasting talent. Back then I guess they were pressed for programming and as a result they showed stuff like rugby (my first chance to watch it on TV including Canada's wonderful run at the '91 WC), CSL soccer, Irish hurling and Gaelic football, Aussie Rules Football as well as their coverage of the U20 hockey championship during Christmas.

Now it's T$N, sticking with the big North American sports and cheap American fare (like the spelling bees), dropping the saturday soccer show for sportfishing. I guess that's progress for you.

Speaking of chess matches, you might be surprised to know that there are a fair number of European soccer clubs who have chess divisions. The players actually show up in full kit just like the soccer players and apparently the derbies can be pretty boisterous affairs. I never attended a match so I don't know what the atmosphere is like but the club I support in Germany published pictures in their soccer program of some of the matches against rival clubs.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Speaking of chess matches, you might be surprised to know that there are a fair number of European soccer clubs who have chess divisions. The players actually show up in full kit just like the soccer players and apparently the derbies can be pretty boisterous affairs. I never attended a match so I don't know what the atmosphere is like but the club I support in Germany published pictures in their soccer program of some of the matches against rival clubs.

Live and learn. Don't let TSN get a hold of this information!

quote:Originally posted by ray

Actually, I liked the earlier days of TSN (1989-92). There was more variety if not great broadcasting talent. Back then I guess they were pressed for programming and as a result they showed stuff like rugby (my first chance to watch it on TV including Canada's wonderful run at the '91 WC), CSL soccer, Irish hurling and Gaelic football, Aussie Rules Football as well as their coverage of the U20 hockey championship during Christmas.

Yeah, those were the days. Local afternoon broadcasts of Scottish/English/Dutch football had dried up by the late '80s and so had my access to the neighbourhood satelite dishs, but good ol' TSN at least gave out a survival ration of footie. Which was most welcome after the loss of BBC, ITV and ESPN.

Gaelic footballs weird. So is bandy (is that right?).

Weirder still me and my little brother would watch Belgium bowls with great intensity. At one time it seemed like we'd have the entire neighbourhood over after school for tea and to watch Belgium bowls. Must have been quite the sight all these wanna-be tough guys nibbling away on slices of bread and butter, drinking tang, and just living or dying by what's going on between grown European men in white shoes on a patch of grass. Very weird. I'll have to mention it to him next time I see him. He'll laugh himself sick.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Gaelic footballs weird.

Try playing it, it's amazing! Last year this British dude came to my high school and taught us the game during gym. I got selected to our school team and we played in this miniature Gaelic football tournament organized by the British dude and some really good Irish dude with a bunch of other schools.

We learned that whole sport in two weeks and boy, did we have some great fun.

Looks like it could be fun. But weird can be fun I guess.

We learnt rugby pretty early on, grade 5 or 6 or something which now that I think about it would never happen today being as physical as it is. And boy did we take the physical part to the next level. IN FACT the game was banned in my old junior high school when yours truly smoked his collar bone so bad it nearly pushed through my skin. Nasty. And I didn't want to go to the hospital. More balls than brains. Great attention getter with the girls though.

Trying to think what the weirdest team sport we played in the school days, outside of curling?

Cricket maybe?

Never did dodgeball except once or twice. Lacrosse and field hockey are pretty weird too but they kept those games to the girls at that time. Wouldn't have wanted to play field hockey with the ladys anyway. Dangerous business that field hockey.

Yeah, I'd have to say Gaelic football's got me beat.

canadiankick97 wins this weeks Weirdness Cookie.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

TSN in owned in part by ESPN so they get ESPN stuff for free or practically nothing.

I don't think it works like that. Just because you buy the rights to show an event in one country doesn't mean you get a rebate when buying the rights to show in another country. Otherwise TSN would be showing baseball playoffs, NHL playoffs and other things that generate TV audiences exceeding single-digits.

quote:Originally posted by ray

Now it's T$N, sticking with the big North American sports and cheap American fare (like the spelling bees), dropping the saturday soccer show for sportfishing. I guess that's progress for you.

Those were the days.

Blame CANCON for that I guess.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

My vote is for "Conker", the World Championships of which draws from more countries than Ice Hockey.

Er, the IIHF mens world championships in Austria next year will feature 16 teams.:D

As well, the IIHF runs five other group world championships with six teams in four of the groups (Div 1A, Div. 1B, Div. 2A, Div. 2 B) and five teams in the Division III tournament. If anyone wants to take in the Div. III championships it'll be in Mexico City the second week in March.

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Er, the IIHF mens world championships in Austria next year will feature 16 teams.:D

As well, the IIHF runs five other group world championships with six teams in four of the groups (Div 1A, Div. 1B, Div. 2A, Div. 2 B) and five teams in the Division III tournament. If anyone wants to take in the Div. III championships it'll be in Mexico City the second week in March.

Easy , don't overload the average Canadians' brain with too much information on hockey outside of the NHL .

The hypnotic effect is just now starting to wear off , slowly releasing this information is the recommended approach or convulsions my inccur .

"Follow the watch , you will count backwards from 10........repeat after me NHL is the best and only .......all the best players want to play in the NHL.......all other hockey is only played so players can advance to the NHL......when you wake up you will only know the NHL....."

This Thursday on sportsnet I believe the Australian Rugby League Grand Final is being aired.The final is between the Canterbury Bulldogs and the Sydney Roosters.While in Sydney recently I caught a bit of the playoffs on TV.I never knew how good a sport Rugby league is.Quite different than the game we see here in Canada(usually international games).Thelocals go nuts for it over there.It's as popular as hockey is here.It is very fast paced with virtually no scrums.The body contact is more brutal than NFL.

The final happens to be a derby with both teams being from Sydney.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived