Honduras Game on Sportsnet

redhat

Complain?!? I love those middle of the night Canada games, dozing in front of the TV, chain smoking desparately to stay awake, channel surfing through infomercials (spray paint my bald spot? hmmmm, not a bad idea!)and staring intently at reruns of "Green Acres" (can't watch the sports channels because they could flash the score and spoil the whole project). Besides, this way nobody else is awake to witness and the result can pass unnoticed without having to revisit the pain over those embarrasing water cooler comments:"Some game last night, eh?" This way I can explain my zombie state by pretending I was up all night with a couple lingerie models from Montreal or something. Complain? I say Thank You Sportsnet for keeping my dream a dirty little secret!

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

I'll be camping this weekend, so I can't make either.

But I'll be seeing Social Distortion...who's in?

What's the date of Social Distortion in Toronto ? I knew they were playing TO in October and was thinking of a double-header with Social D and the TO Marathon.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I watched the tail end of the midweek SoccerCentral last night, and they warned that even the delayed start of Honduras-Canada could be further delayed if there is a late baseball game Saturday night. They seemed to be talking about a game that starts late, and not just one that goes into extra innings. I heard Dobson mention the game might not start until 3am in some regions then.

I saw that too. Now I don't even know what time to set on my VCR. Damn the wildcard!

quote:Originally posted by Rivaldo

I saw that too. Now I don't even know what time to set on my VCR. Damn the wildcard!

The thing I don't understand is that according to MLB's schedule the last game on Saturday begins at 7:30 p.m. ET, that being the St. Louis - Los Angeles series. Two of the games are scheduled for 1 p.m. ET (Houston-Atlanta; Boston-Anaheim (if necessary)) and the other (NYY - Minny) for 4 p.m. ET. I heard that comment on Soccercentral too, knowing the baseball schedule and wondering to myself what game may pre-empt the already tape-delayed soccer game.

What I'm thinking is that if Boston doesn't eliminate Anaheim for some crazy reason Sportsnet may choose to show that series' fourth game on tape-delay (or the Hou-Atl series third game) because they can't show both at the same time.

Hey redhat,

Still on then? Wee Elf and a couple of the lads from the team will be tagging along though this 10 o'clock kickoff is kicking the **** out of attendance. Anyway, we'll be there as thirsty as ever. Bring those match programs!!!

Here's the word from Sportsnet:

There is a ball game at 7:30 ET. They plan to start a one-hour sportsnetnews at 10:30 ET. If the ball game runs late, they will still run a one-hour sportsnetnews. The soccer match will then be shown after sportsnetnews.

So it sounds like the match cannot be bumped until 3am.

I live in Ontario, so perhaps they tailored their response to me. I see that their website claims that it will start at 8 PT in the Pacific region. Not sure how that works.

Cheeta ... It's ON buddy, hope you all are thirsty. Enjoying the drink because of the WIN, rather than crying in your beer, I hope. ;)

I'll bring the CSA programs, too. Wear your Canadian gear. (That's how we'll identify each other.)

Also if there is a delay in the broadcast, Kelsey's apparently has this table hockey set that converts to a soccer/foosball game. We'll make an event of it.

As for the broadcast, they have satellite. They can show the game on

Sportsnet East at 10:30p.m. CST, or on Sportsnet Pacific at 10 p.m. CST. We're covered. As for the game, well, Rad, Josh , and the boys

seem pumped ...

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Congratulations to Sportsnet for managing to broadcast the England-Wales qualifier live but not Canada's qualifier. They remind me of a certain participant in the above game in that their home is in Canada but they feel strongly like the citizen of another country, though in Sportsnet's case I would suggest their loyalty is more to the USA. Something is wrong when we can watch the British and French qualifiers live on basic cable without being able to see our own qualifier on the same day unless we own a satellite dish able to receive Honduran television.

There's nothing wrong. In Canada it's just a sport for foreigners primarily. This is well known ...

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Congratulations to Sportsnet for managing to broadcast the England-Wales qualifier live but not Canada's qualifier. They remind me of a certain participant in the above game in that their home is in Canada but they feel strongly like the citizen of another country, though in Sportsnet's case I would suggest their loyalty is more to the USA. Something is wrong when we can watch the British and French qualifiers live on basic cable without being able to see our own qualifier on the same day unless we own a satellite dish able to receive Honduran television.

There's nothing wrong. In Canada it's just a sport for foreigners primarily. This is well known ...

Here's the word from Sportsnet:

There is a ball game at 7:30 ET. They plan to start a one-hour sportsnetnews at 10:30 ET. If the ball game runs late, they will still run a one-hour sportsnetnews. The soccer match will then be shown after sportsnetnews.

So it sounds like the match cannot be bumped until 3am.

I'm not sure. At halftime of the England x Wales game, they said "if the baseball game runs late, the Canada match will be shown at 3am ET". I'm not sure why this would happen or how late is considered late, but that's what they said. I guess they don't want the soccer match running pass 1:30 ET because they're showing "WWF burn" at that time (or something like that).

I wonder if they're going to show highlights of Honduras x Canada during sportsnetnews. Probably. And since the news will almost certainly end late sometime after 11:30pm we'll probably all know the score before seeing the match.

I can't believe that FIFA would schedule WCQ during the baseball playoffs. Isn't the entire world supposed to revolve around the USA? Oh no wait ... that's just Canada.

Sportsnet sucks.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I'm not sure. At halftime of the England x Wales game, they said "if the baseball game runs late, the Canada match will be shown at 3am ET".

I wonder if they're going to show highlights of Honduras x Canada during sportsnetnews. Probably. And since the news will almost certainly end late sometime after 11:30pm we'll probably all know the score before seeing the match.

Oh my god, that would suck. They wouldn't do that to us, would they? WOULD THEY??? Or maybe a ticker at the bottom. Furtive flips to and from Sportsnet at 11:30 tonight will be a necessity.

I was saddened that Dobson again mentioned the possibility of being bumped until 3am. I really can't figure that out. If the match is delayed AND I can't come on here to stop the involuntary twitches, then I don't know what I'm going to do. Drink, I guess.

I was saddened that Dobson again mentioned the possibility of being bumped until 3am. I really can't figure that out. If the match is delayed AND I can't come on here to stop the involuntary twitches, then I don't know what I'm going to do. Drink, I guess.

It's amazing how quickly 3am Saturday night/Sunday morning arrives after a few caipirinhas. [:P]

It's now 10:30 PM EDT and the baseball game is not over yet. Sportsnetnews was scheduled to start right now and run until 11:30. So does this mean the soccer game will be bumped or what? I can't believe how crazy this is.

Yeah, I saw that, after setting the VCR for Sportsnet West at 11 PM MDT because that's where they had it scheduled all along and I figured it wouldn't be affected by the baseball game in that slot. But now they bump it up 1.5 hours??? I give up.

It started on Sportsnet Pacific at 8 PM PDT.

I also saw the highlights on Sportscentral. At least they were nice enough to warn viewers first. But I don't know if they had it appear on the ticker or not.

Did you think it would come on Sportsnet West at 9:30 MDT because that's what they said on the Sportscentral that followed the baseball game? That's where I saw it. I guess they were just talking about the other regions.

For the record, the soccer game definitely came on Sportsnet Pacific at 8 PDT, and on Sportsnet East and Sportsnet Ontario at 11:30 EDT. Looks like it will be on Sportsnet West at 11:00 MDT after all. I believe all of this is what the schedule was supposed to be.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

For the record, the soccer game definitely came on Sportsnet Pacific at 8 PDT, and on Sportsnet East and Sportsnet Ontario at 11:30 EDT. Looks like it will be on Sportsnet West at 11:00 MDT after all. I believe all of this is what the schedule was supposed to be.

Maybe, but Sportsnet just lucked-out because the baseball game was by far the shortest of all the playoff games so far (2 hrs 25 minutes). Otherwise everything would have been totally screwed-up even by Sportsnet'standards.

Archived