Honduras Game on Sportsnet

redhat

Boys and girls, the game is on tape-delay and will NOT be

shown LIVE, even on digital. Here's the reply I got:

-------------------------------------------------------

Hello Jake,

Thank you for your recent email. Unfortunately, due to our commitments to Major League Baseball, we are unable to air that match live. It will be aired on tape delay Saturday October 9 at 11:30 pm (ET) on Sportsnet East and Ontario. 11 pm (MT) on Sportsnet West and 8 pm (PT) on Sportsnet Pacific.

Sincerely

Jim LaChapelle

Audience Relations

1-877-288-7767

-------------------------------------------------------------

So this means the Kelsey's thing for the Winnipeg lads is at 10 pm.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

So what type of person are you?

Who here is the type of person who will avoid the result all day in order to watch the match in the evening, and who will find out the score as soon as humanly possible?

I'm the former. I tape matches all the time. I even had to watch the last Honduras match a full 24 hours late because of a wedding. Nothing beats live, of course.

My girlfriend is the latter. She's a big figure skating fan (oh well, can't win em all), and she'll find out who won during the day instead of waiting for the delayed broadcast in the evening (which she'll watch anyway).

I'm heading home to Ottawa this weekend, and I'll choose to follow it at 11:30pm.

Congratulations to Sportsnet for managing to broadcast the England-Wales qualifier live but not Canada's qualifier. They remind me of a certain participant in the above game in that their home is in Canada but they feel strongly like the citizen of another country, though in Sportsnet's case I would suggest their loyalty is more to the USA. Something is wrong when we can watch the British and French qualifiers live on basic cable without being able to see our own qualifier on the same day unless we own a satellite dish able to receive Honduran television.

Well, in their defense they are a private company and baseball playoffs would probobly bring in more viewers and advertising dollars than a Canadian WCQ match for a deal that is nearly out of the running.

But, having said that.... this match should be live on our public broadcaster!

I still do not understand why CBC does not broadcast these games.

Pray for sweeps in the baseball playoffs.

Both AL series could end on Friday. So that would leave the 2 NL series which are scheduled for 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. if I'm not mistaken so they could show the game live at 5 p.m. (All times eastern of course cause this is the centre of the universe - sarcasm people). Even if the 2nd game is moved up to the 4 p.m. slot which is reserved for the AL game, hopefully they'll show the soccer at 8 p.m. or so after the baseball.

Although the guy who replied to me, said it would be available on digital.

Hey, redhat

Yeah, that licks balls. Don't know if my nerves can hold off until 10 o'clock knowing the result is only a few mouse clicks away but I'm gonna try.

Getting anyone who's tagging along to promise they'll keep the score to themselves if they know it. Still be a couple of lads coming along.

So yeah, I'm still game. Gotta see if Dwayne can come out and play.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Are people from Montreal getting together to watch this game Saturday? If there is a gathering, I would appreciate info on place and time as I will be there over the long weekend.

Unfortunatly I will be out of town this week-end. I'll watch the game from my hotel room. With no Internet access I won't know the score at 11h30PM unless Sportsnet shows the result during the game....

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

That brings up an interesting point about this forum. Are people going to be posting while refreshing Livescore.com like mad or are they going to wait "out of respect"?

People can come on here and discuss the game in any thread with an [R] in a subject line that doesn't give anything away (such as "Fire Yallop").

That being said, anyone who is waiting to watch the game on tape delay and visits this board on Saturday afternoon is an idiot.

quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper

Toronto people...are we going to meet up for an 11:30 start?

If not, I suppose there is always Danko Jones at Lee's, right Sean?

Blair

I vote for the latter. (And Sean and Ryan too.)

quote:Thank you for your recent email. Unfortunately, due to our commitments to Major League Baseball, we are unable to air that match live. It will be aired on tape delay Saturday October 9 at 11:30 pm (ET) on Sportsnet East and Ontario. 11 pm (MT) on Sportsnet West and 8 pm (PT) on Sportsnet Pacific.
I'm not satisfied with this explanation. I don't see why the soccer game can't be put on digital feeds, where it wouldn't interfere with baseball. Unless they are trying to tell us that part of their commitment to MLB is that they are not allowed to put something different on their digital feeds?

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

People can come on here and discuss the game in any thread with an [R] in a subject line that doesn't give anything away (such as "Fire Yallop").

People won't confine themselves to [R] threads, and people will give it away in thread titles. I won't be waiting for the broadcast to find out the score so I'll likely be here at some point, if not the whole time, but it is virtually impossible to moderate properly during or shortly after a match, so don't expect me to try to keep up with hiding the result.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I won't be waiting for the broadcast to find out the score so I'll likely be here at some point, if not the whole time, but it is virtually impossible to moderate properly during or shortly after a match, so don't expect me to try to keep up with hiding the result.

No such pressures! :D

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

But I'll be seeing Social Distortion...who's in?

HAAAHHHH!!!!!

Mike Ness is a ****ing *****! I'll come, but I bet I get punched.

Funniest thing I ever said in my life...

Outdoor festival, 25,000 people covered in mud, I'm close to the front.

Mike Ness comes out and says "I wanna get serious for a minute, because if there's one thing we hate, it's ignorance..."

I immediately yelledat the top of my lungs "Whatdya MEAN?!?!?!"

He visibly cringed, they played 2 songs and left. I bet he's still looking for me. I have a vague memory of this, but I have heard the story from many people, some of whom I didn't know.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Congratulations to Sportsnet for managing to broadcast the England-Wales qualifier live but not Canada's qualifier. They remind me of a certain participant in the above game in that their home is in Canada but they feel strongly like the citizen of another country, though in Sportsnet's case I would suggest their loyalty is more to the USA. Something is wrong when we can watch the British and French qualifiers live on basic cable without being able to see our own qualifier on the same day unless we own a satellite dish able to receive Honduran television.

The Costa Rica game is on the schedule for :

2:30 AM NT

2:00 AM AT

1:00 AM ET , Mid-night CT, 11 PM the night before MT 10 PT and 2 weeks later in Whitehorse ;) According to the RSN EAST schedule .

I'm with you why can I watch foriegn teams live and Canada on tape delay . I don't wanna hear logic or economics just let me be ticked .

I've got to say Social Distortion always makes for a memorable night. I love his between song banter ("who wants to hear a happy song? *cheers* ***k-off! We don't know any happy songs"). Do they still have Chuck Biscuits drumming with them? He's worth the price of admission alone. That and all the tattooed girls in dresses and heels that will be there.

On the one hand I don't understand what's so hard about keeping everything match related in one thread called say: Canada v Honduras in-match ®. Yet I know people won't so there's no way in hell I'll be here at all Saturday.

I hate tape delay. Esp Sportsnet who delays at all different times, 10 p.m. eastern and 10 p.m. central and 11:30 mtn, etc. so yr always a little worried you've somehow mixed up the start time (especially when Alta and Sask are on different times for Sportsnet West, so their sked is always wrong, ie they say 9 p.m. on SN West when that means two different things depending on the province) and feel the need to check to make sure and run the risk of them showing the score. Then of course they can always just stick the score on the bottom of the screen a la Finland and f*** it up for you anyway.

I can't enjoy a game if I already know the score. It's just not as much fun, the tension's gone. Soccer without tension can be pretty boring. So I deal with tape delay.

CBC can't show these games because Sportsnet owns the rights. That can't be changed. Every Canadian game will be on Sportsnet. Which is too bad because they don't give a flying f*** about Canadian soccer. In this case, with MLB playoffs I have a tough time disagreeing with their decision to tape delay the soccer game, but they've shown time and again that their priorities lie elsewhere. I just wish TSN would jump back in with the national team and we could get back to the way it was. Because soccer coverage on TV has improved leaps and bounds in the last 10 years and yet the national team's coverage has gone backwards.

Canadian soccer was near the forefront of live coverage on TV. Now you can watch games live from all over the world and you can't watch Canada. We're becomming more marginalized with every passing year and I don't like it.

Sorry for the rant. It's very late and I haven't been sleeping so much lately.

cheers,

matthew

DJT,

May I suggest something? Have you ever thought about taking it upon yourself (as a moderator) to setup pre-designated threads prior to and following matches? I frequent a Formula 1 board - one that sees three times the posting traffic this board does - and I must say, it works a charm.

Here's what you do. Before a match, setup a thread and call it something like, "OFFICIAL IN-GAME COMMENTS", or something not even remotely catchy like that. All posts made during the match will thus go in this thread. Immidiately following the match, lock the "in-game" thread and start a new one: "OFFICIAL GAME REACTION THREAD". Quite naturally, all *general* (I'll expand on this in a bit) reaction to the match would be posted in this thread.

The reason why I see it as necessary to start two different threads - one for in-game comments; one for post-game reaction - is that, in my experience, when I log onto the board immidiately following a match, I always hate having to sift through a thread trying to figure out where the in-game commentary ends ("oh my GOD, did you see what Stalteri just did!!!") and where the actual in-depth, well thought out, in other words typically Voyegeuresque post-game analysis begins ("Fire Yallop. Fire bomb the CSA").

Taking this idea further, you could even start threads for events/occurances/news that you know are going to generate massive amounts of discussion. For example, had this style of moderation been implemented prior to the Honduras match, you could have taken it upon yourself to setup an official reaction thread to the officiating controversy that took place on the field. This would hopefully eliminate the problem of careless posters starting thread after thread after thread on the same topic, hence clogging up the board.

It is true that, where once thread-starting mayham insued, posters are not immidiately going to keep their comments neatly limited to one thread per topic - all because that thread says "OFFICIAL...." in it. However I think that once this style of moderation is in place for a while, changes *will* be seen. For example, where a poster at one point may have immidiately rushed to the board posting at his delight without a care for checking for existing threads on a topic, eventually, that poster will become so familiar with the rules that it will be second nature when logging onto the board following a match to check for the innevitable "official comments" thread.

This idea would hopefully bring with it two benefits:

a) A cutdown on posts blurrting out results (doubtful that that can be totally eliminated)

and

B) A cut-down on board-clogging congestion - repeat threads, etc. (I'm optimistic that this would be cured).

I like Jay's idea in regards to the game thread. Those super lenghty game threads are fine if you are actively participating from the beginning. But when you login to the forum for the first time approximately a hour after the game, seeing 5 pages of new posts that you haven't seen since your last visit, can be much. There is nothing wrong with that but many of them are relevant only when the game is in progress. Always thought a chat forum rather than a message board would better for when the game is in progress.

But when the game is over its another story. I still hate to ignore those game threads because some will write post-game thoughts among those threads that I might be interested to read. But having to sift through, page after page <Whoa>.

As Far as Jay's other points about additional segmentation. Tough to say. Its hard, if not impossible, to avoid a discussion from drifting on to another topic and I think thats normal in any discussion. example, how can you avoid mention of refereeing in a post game thread just because there already a thread titled: Match Referee.

Okay Cheeta & any of you Winnipeggers, Kelsey's has been reserved for Saturday @ 10 pm.

The first round of beers is on me. Let me know if you're interested.

Canada jerseys are optional. England, Honduras, and Man U jerseys are not welcome. :-)

I've got a wedding to attend, so it's my hope to watch the game on tape delay (from the tape delay) once I get back, basically watching it live for all intents and purposes. Doesn't mean I'm satisfied in the slightest with Sportsnet though.

I'll be up for getting together for the Costa Rica match on Weds. as I have all of next week off from work.

I don't know about Danko Jones or Social Distortion, but I'd be up for the Porcupine Tree concert the next time they roll into town.

I watched the tail end of the midweek SoccerCentral last night, and they warned that even the delayed start of Honduras-Canada could be further delayed if there is a late baseball game Saturday night. They seemed to be talking about a game that starts late, and not just one that goes into extra innings. I heard Dobson mention the game might not start until 3am in some regions then.

I'll watch my tape tonight (SoccerCentral was only on in the middle of the night - thanks Sportsnet) and provide more details later.

I'm surprised no-one has complained about the scheduled times for the Wednesday Costa Rica match yet...

Archived