2007 Final should be in the SkyDome

Elias

This is not anti-west or anything. <begin edit> I AM SURE EDMONTON WILL DO A GREAT JOB HOSTING THE GAMES. [|)] </end edit>

The SkyDome should be the main stadium. All the European teams will attract huge crowds, as I think would most of the countries actually. Imagine a game involving some of the countries with huge ex-pat communities here like Italy, Greece, Croatia, Serbia, Korea, even Brazil cause all those Portuguese can pretend to be Brazilian, cause Portual ain't ever winning anything. Couldn't resist.

There will "easily" be 50 000 people in the stands involving any of those 2 countries. Actually, there's a ton more countries that wold draw well.

And while I wasn't at the recent int'ls, everybody said the SkyDome looked amazing. Even Damian Cox, Toronto Star writer, who honestly is one of the most miserable people in the media, wrote a piece on how the place was unbelievable.

This is the kind of opportunity Americans and the rest of the world take advantage of. Most of the media and corporations are in Toronto, honestly, is it a good idea not to have games here? And why not go all out and aim big.

It's 3 years away, so get a deal from now with the SkyDome and the Jays (promote them to all the "ethnic" communities - if they haven't moved to North Dakota that is) and cordinate it so the Jays can go on a road trip (maybe they could play in Montreal) for like the 3 weeks or something while the games are here and lay down natural grass. This really ain't rocket science.

I'm sure with enough $$$ there can be a proper drainage system installed so the roof can be open.

I believe the plan was to have Canada play one match in Toronto, then head to Alberta (pool matches in Calgary and Edmonton) and their path to the final: second round, QF, SF, final was to be four straight at Commonwealth.

Who knows what's going to happen now, but I believe that was the plan.

cheers,

matthew

<begin edit> Relax buddy. I know Portugal won in 89 and 91. Too bad they choked every other time. It's amusing seeing Portuguese cheer for Brazil. It's like the British cheering for Americans. </end edit>

quote:Originally posted by matthew

I believe the plan was to have Canada play one match in Toronto, then head to Alberta (pool matches in Calgary and Edmonton) and their path to the final: second round, QF, SF, final was to be four straight at Commonwealth.

See, the problem with that, is that they can't expect Canada to go past the second round. I'm not saying they won't. But it was different with the girls. I think the girls had to be one of the top teams going in.

According to FIFA, the 2003 tournament in the UAE avg. attendance was under 6 000. In 2001 Argentina only 9 800. Even 1993 in Australia, which could be most compared to Canada, avg. attendance was under 15 000 a game. The final attracted 40 000 where Brazil defeated mighty Ghana in the final.

And if the girls final did not involve Canada, there would have been less than 5 000 people at the game.

My point is the Toronto should be the focus of the tournament because every country would do well at the gate, and this is where the media and the corporations are located.

I hope Canada does well and goes to the final infront of 60 000 Canadian fans in Edmonton. But a little dose of reality would be nice. Sort of like hanging on to victories from 20 years ago.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

I see only one person got offended by my inbred comment. I apologize that your parents are also sisters ;)

If you wanna talk genetics, it's quite obvious both your parents were assholes. So what does that make you. I will put your opinions in the file with soccerbeast. Get bent.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

If you wanna talk genetics, it's quite obvious both your parents were assholes. So what does that make you. I will put your opinions in the file with soccerbeast. Get bent.

What's up your a s s ?!?!?!

I wasn't talking about you (is there something you want to tell us?). And I didn't start the personal attacks either.

This forum is becoming very useful. A cure for insomnia that is.

GET A LIFE PEOPLE!!!

<begin edit> I'll tell you somewhere else you can put my opinions. And what does "get bent" mean? I await you answers with great interest! </end edit>

As one of our resident banjo playing imbreds, I turn to the words of one of the great thinkers of our time, Daved Benefield, for his thoughts on the inbreeding comments:

"Dude, I thought it was hilarious. I'm from L.A., so naturally anything outside of southern California -- even if it's San Francisco or San Diego -- you're a heathen; you're a caveman. For me to be in Winnipeg and (Westwood) is from there or wherever he's from (Selkirk, Man.), and he says something like that, I'm looking at him and thinking, "Dude, what do you think you are?" It's like, "Come on now." Really, isn't it the same place? It's like Oklahoma and Nebraska. You drive through one and you don't know whether you've crossed into Oklahoma or if you're still in Nebraska. I don't think anyone should have taken it seriously, got their feelings all hurt and puffed their lips out or anything like that."

cheers,

matthew

At least we know why the population of the Maritimes stays the same :

Everytime a girl gets pregnant a guy shows up in Calgary :D

Definition of mass confusion on the east coast.......Fathers Day :D

How many Newfies does it take to change a light bulb ? 3 , 1 to hold the bulb and 2 to turn the ladder.

Ain't being Canadian grand all the petty regionalisim . So let's go back to poking fun at Tarranah where all big games are to be held by default [:o)]

Oh , I forgot we're all on SwellFare and fish lobster and need Upper Canadian hand-outs to survive [:P]

I think we've all heard the derisive remarks from outside what-ever region we live in....as the magistrate says : "Ignorance is no excuse " and arrogance is intolerable .

Holy smokes. I know Canadians are sensitive and all but god all mighty!

The original aim of this topic, believe it or not, was to try to say that it's short sighted to play the finals in Edmonton. The only draw back to Toronto is that if Canada makes it to the final against a team that has a huge ex-pat community (which is like 98% of countries, and even ones that don't exist), it will be an away game. That would be very embarassing if Canada was to play in it's largest city with fans cheering against it. But honestly, what are the chances of Canada making it to the final?

George Gross, who writes for the Sun and is one the most well respected writers whose about 80 or something, wrote a few years ago basically the same thing, that it's short sighted to play in Edmonton. All the "national" media is in Toronto, most of the major corporations head offices are in Toronto, pretty much all major media agencies (that people that actually buy the sponsorships) are in Toronto.

How much sponsorship money did the success of the girls tournament bring in for the CSA? None. How much more Canadian soccer is on television because of the tournaments success? None. Having nothing to do a 3:30 in the morning, Priceless.

I don't even know why I am posting the rest of this, but I can't sleep so I need something to do. I lived in Calgary (6th Ave SE - Rocky Mountain Court) for a year. It was amazing. I honestly fell in love with the city. The only reason I didn't move there permanently is cause all my extended family is in southern Ontario. And Edmonton was great when I visited it. They have the greatest mall in the world. And the only reason Hamilton exists is beacuse of welfare. It seems like 90% of the people in this town are on welfare, and when you include all the businesses that survive because of customers who are on welfare, it has to be the number 1 industry in this town.

And I love Portuguese people. Well only 1 really, but that's an other story. Well, I also love Figo and Ronaldo (especially crying Ronaldo) and Ricardo and Deco and the rest of them.

THERE! HAPPY PEOPLE!!! HOLY!!!

BTW, somebody should tell Benefield San Diego is in southern California.

George Gross, "well respected"? Maybe in non-soccer matters. But most of the posters here agreed time and time again that his articles concerning Canadian soccer have been trash.

Example:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2004/04/11/417432.html

"Hargreaves might make us all proud by scoring the winning goal for England just as it would make Toronto fans ecstatic if Tie Domi were to score the goal that would eliminate the Ottawa Senators from the playoffs."

I personally don't care if they host the final in Edmonton or Toronto.

I just don't think the CSA will spend the money and put temporary grass in SkyDome.

As for Canada getting past the 2nd round, it remains to be seen, but we've done it before.

It will just be a shame if other countries' fans will outnumber us, like they did when the

last MNT friendly was held in SkyDome (or in many instances in the past, at Varsity).

quote:Originally posted by snake

the impression i get from this thread is that vancouver or victoria are not getting any games?

That is not the impression I got. I think what I was told is totally out the window now that the Varsity project is in the air, but I think BC will get a pool of their own for sure no matter what happens.

cheers,

matthew

PS Elias, I wasn't knocking you in my Benefield post, maybe the tone came out all wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

So assuming that the Tournament will probably be spread across 5-6 cities, who does everyone think the cities will be? (Other than the obvious Toronto and Edmonton)

Isn't Halifax currently building a 10,000 seat natural grass stadium? If so my choices would be:

-Toronto

-Edmonton

-Vancouver(Burnaby)

-Halifax

-Montreal

-Calgary

Since others bumped this up, I want to clear up some stuff. Not that anyone cares. :D

quote:Originally posted by matthew

PS Elias, I wasn't knocking you in my Benefield post, maybe the tone came out all wrong.

Yeah, I know. I was just trying to be funny and point out San Diego is in Southern California. I guess I should've put [:P] at the end! :D Just like I took argh1 comments as a joke, as mine were indended. I was just kind of PMSing.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

George Gross, "well respected"? Maybe in non-soccer matters. But most of the posters here agreed time and time again that his articles concerning Canadian soccer have been trash.

Example:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2004/04/11/417432.html

"Hargreaves might make us all proud by scoring the winning goal for England just as it would make Toronto fans ecstatic if Tie Domi were to score the goal that would eliminate the Ottawa Senators from the playoffs."

I don't want to start an other Hargreaves debate, cause I don't agree with him. But I think a lot of Canadians are proud of Hargreaves. Just basically nobody here (Voyageurs). After Hargreaves made his decision there were many letters to the editors that approved his actions. And if I'm not mistaken, even a couple people on this board approved (or at least pretended to).

Archived