Before A-league teams

Kyle

I'm guessing canadian and American universities. American Universities usually send talent to the MLS draft if I guy dose not cut it there he can try MLS. There are always the lower leagues. The PDL, CPSL, Super Y league. Those are just my guesses, have not really been on teh Canadian soccer scene for that long so correct me if I'm wrong people.

Many Canadian players played for amateur teams before going to the A-league. For the Montreal Impact most of the local players came from the LSEQ(Ligue de Soccer Elite du Québec) which is an amateur league.Others, as already mentioned, played in Canadian and American Universities and lower lever leagues(CPSL, PCSL, etc.)

quote:Originally posted by Kyle

hmn when you say amateur league what does that mean like U-18 or seniors could be amateur? and do you no any particular universities that stand out... in canada

The LSEQ have 6 junior divisions from U-13 to U-18 and two men's senior divisions-one semi-pro and the other amateur(all this information is on their web site in French www.lseq.qc.ca)

As far as universities are concerned, most in Canada have soccer programs(check out the standings this season at: http://cis.infinityprosports.com/2004/index.php?page=standings&sport_name=msoccer )

9 teams in the Atlantic division

7 in the Western division

16 in the Ontario division

8 in the Québec division

The past champions are listed at :

http://www.cisport.ca/e/championships/m_soccer/2003/h/past.htm

Every year 6 teams play for the Championship at a single venue. Last year it was in Montreal. Obviously if you play for a championship team or one of the others during the championship, you have a better chance of being scouted.

When I went to university in the early 80s, McGill and UBC were strong. Could not really say who is strong these days. Look at the current standings and see.

alright thx i actually live by saint mary's

i got another question if u had a chance to play for senior mens or a university and wanted to get scouted for an A-league team which would be best? they actually might not even have games at the same time but im not sure

quote:Originally posted by Kyle

alright thx i actually live by saint mary's

i got another question if u had a chance to play for senior mens or a university and wanted to get scouted for an A-league team which would be best? they actually might not even have games at the same time but im not sure

If I was of University age and could play anywhere(with my main goal being to pursue a career in soccer)I would choose an American university simply because they are more in the spotlight than Canadian ones and you have more of a chance to be seen by pro scouts(MLS or A-league). If it was not possible to go to an american University, I would choose a Canadian one over a Senior Men's team. Please bear in mind that this is my personal opinion. You have to do what is best for you.

Kyle:

With respect to your inquiry about whether it would be better [vis-a-vis being scouted]to play for a Cdn. university side or a senior men's side I would expect that in most cases the latter would be your choice. That of course assumes that you are good enough to play on one of the better local sides.

In your area you could play for both. The men's league plays during the summer. The university in the fall. You might have a conflict toward the end of the men's league schedule. When I played for Dalhousie WAY BACK THEN there was an A.U.A.A. rule that after a certain date you could not play for both, if you wanted to play for the university when its season began you would have to abandon your senior men's team.

As far as the quality of competition,no question the senior men were better. We had a decent side but in the friendlies against the better of the local sides back then, in this case Halifax Olands, they were the better team.

The same was true of when I played for McGill even FURTHER BACK [smile] the teams that I played for and against during the summer were certainly better than my school team. Concordia was the power then and they might have been competitive against some of the Major League teams but I expect that even they would have lost more often than won.

Good luck with your ambition. You might want to contact the Nova Scotia soccer association and ask for their input. They may have contacts

Kyle:

A lot? Likely not. Remember for the most part Cdn. university sport competition is viewed as an adjunct or complement to one's academic pursuits rather than training for a future career in the sport one plays.

That is certainly different from the American situation. The Soccer Central clips I have watched of late between EPL matches on Saturday mornings have confirmed how many Cdn players at American universities see their time at that institution as ideally preparation for a career in MLS.

Ante Jazic played for Dal before his continuing pro career. Mesut Mert played for Calgary and a number of other UBC and U. of A. players signed for Calgary and/or Edmonton's ill-fated A-League effort.

thats what i thought and i didn't think many did play university and then go on to play for team Canada but what other route is their than American universities ..hope to get scouted when ur younger for

U-17 team and then move on from there

Archived