Canucks in Germany (Oct 1st - Oct 6)

Guest Ed

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

... Clearly, Yallop has improved player selection....

That's your opinion, I don't agree at all.

Without question Yallop has improved the number of players available and willing to be selected. Given the expanded player pool, I don't think his selections from this pool have necessarily been an improvement over Ossieck nor has he gotten maximum performance from those he has selected. A big question is what will the player pool be like after a few years of Yallop as head coach. Ossieck at the beginning also had a large player pool to choose from. Rightly or wrongly Aguair has made himself unavailable after only a short period of Yallop's reign. If players seemingly deserving of selection at the very least as substitutes like Nsaliwa and Klukowski are continually ignored by Yallop will they continue to make themselves available?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

If players seemingly deserving of selection at the very least as substitutes like Nsaliwa and Klukowski are continually ignored by Yallop will they continue to make themselves available?

These guys are young enough that it shouldn't be an issue for awhile. Bircham on the other hand leaves me to scratch my head. I know he's not the greatest footballer known to Canada, much less man, but his exclusion raises questions???

As for Canucks in Germany, I notice nobody has said a bad word about Nsaliwa and (maybe a question for Ed), wasn't it extremely unusual for Holger to cap a young player like Tam? I think the stats show 10 appearances? He must have liked him.

youllneverwalkalone, if you've seen Tam play for Canada's senior MNT, you'd understand why he has 10 caps. I urge you to get your hands on a tape of Canada-USA (Gold Cup 2002) or Canada-Germany (friendly, 2003) and you'll see Tam Nsaliwa shine. In the Gold Cup match, Nsaliwa made DeMarcus Beasley look stupid. Beasley now plays for PSV. Add to the fact that Nsaliwa now plays central defence. Tam's team Saarbrucken started slow this season, and I actually believe that there is a corrolation between their recent run of good results and Nsaliwa being moved from midfield to defence.

As for Frank Yallop's player selection, I try not to rationalize it anymore, as it will only drive me insane.

Archived