Champions League: Matchday 2 (R)

Jarrek

Probably one of the most exciting nights in the Champions League in a LONG time!!! 31 Goals!

Champions League - Group A

FT Monaco 2 - 0 Deportivo (Spa)

FT Olympiakos (Gre) 1 - 0 Liverpool (Eng)

Champions League - Group B

FT Dynamo Kyiv (Ukr) 4 - 2 Leverkusen (Ger)

FT Real Madrid (Spa) 4 - 2 AS Roma (Ita)

Champions League - Group C

FT Bayern Munich (Ger) 4 - 0 Ajax Amsterd. (Hol)

FT Juventus (Ita) 1 - 0 Maccabi T-Aviv (Isr)

Champions League - Group D

FT Manchester U. (Eng) 6 - 2 Fenerbahce (Tur)

FT Sparta Prague (Cze) 1 - 2 Lyon (Fra)

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

I guess it was exciting for me because Dynamo Kyiv thumped Bayer Leverkusen :D

There may be an "R" in the thread title, but the fact that it was you who posted it told me that Dynamo Kyiv must have won. :D

Lots of goals don't necessarily excite me. The commentators went on about how good a match Real Madrid vs. Roma was, but, meh, from my point of view Roma were never in the game, it was just that Madrid were out of it until the second half (when Roma became just a bunch of pylons, what's the big deal if Madrid can waltz through that?). And I turned off Manchester United vs. Fenerbahce ater 30 minutes. (Granted, I admit that I hate three of the teams featured in these matches. [}:)])

I would have preferred to have seen Dynamo vs. Leverkusen, Sparta Prague vs. Lyon or either match from Group A instead.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

There may be an "R" in the thread title, but the fact that it was you who posted it told me that Dynamo Kyiv must have won. :D

Well, I guess I'll be posting Champions League results more reguraly from now on, no matter if Dynamo or Shakhtar win. :D

Did anyone notice the dissapointing number of fans attending the Juventus - Maccabi clash? Only 7,000 bothered to show up. Is this normal for CL football in Italy? I'm sure it has to do something with poor opposition, anyone care to explain?

Champions League - Group E

FT PSV Eindhoven (Hol) 1 - 0 Panathinaikos (Gre)

FT Rosenborg (Nor) 1 - 1 Arsenal (Eng)

Champions League - Group F

FT AC Milan (Ita) 3 - 1 Celtic (Sco)

FT Barcelona (Spa) 3 - 0 Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukr)

Champions League - Group G

FT Anderlecht (Bel) 1 - 3 Inter Milan (Ita)

FT Werder Bremen (Ger) 2 - 1 Valencia (Spa)

Champions League - Group H

FT CSKA Moscow (Rus) 2 - 0 Paris S.G. (Fra)

FT Chelsea (Eng) 3 - 1 FC Porto (Por)

Go Stally!

Champions League - Group E

FT PSV Eindhoven (Hol) 1 - 0 Panathinaikos (Gre)

FT Rosenborg (Nor) 1 - 1 Arsenal (Eng)

Champions League - Group F

FT AC Milan (Ita) 3 - 1 Celtic (Sco)

FT Barcelona (Spa) 3 - 0 Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukr)

Champions League - Group G

FT Anderlecht (Bel) 1 - 3 Inter Milan (Ita)

FT Werder Bremen (Ger) 2 - 1 Valencia (Spa)

Champions League - Group H

FT CSKA Moscow (Rus) 2 - 0 Paris S.G. (Fra)

FT Chelsea (Eng) 3 - 1 FC Porto (Por)

Go Stally!

Guest Jeffery S.

Damn! Shakhtar gets their asses kicked by Barcelona. Good try though!

Everyone thought Shaktar was well-coached and disciplined, they have a defensive mid, or sometimes playmaking, Vucic I think, who was pretty solid. Erred in trying to man mark Ronaldinho rather than the key last night Edmilson-Deco-Xavi, but fair enough, Barça's playmaking is amazing lately. Keeper was good too, and your boys had a few counters in the first half they could have tied it with. A bit naive finishing.

Still, Barça was pretty comfortable throughout, and I was surprised by the crowd, really big for a weeknight vs a virtually unknown side.

Just hoping it isn't another year where we fail in quarters or semis, want a final this time out, say, vs. Chelsea!

Shakhtar had one or two chances of tying it up, or at least scoring. In the first half Tymoschuk fired just cm wide of the post, and Matuzelman couldn't score into a virtually empty net.

Barca was by far superior. The Shakhtar defence didn't know what hit them.

Don't know how much longer Vieri will last with Inter, his season is clearly not going very well, and Martins is filled in quite well!

Anderlecht 1 - 3 Inter

Martins 9 (I), Adriano 51 (I), Stankovic 55 (I), Baseggio 92 (A)

Stade Constant Vanden Stock

-----------------------------------------------------

Christian Vieri was not missed, as Inter ran riot in Belgium and leap to the top of Group G on six points.

The Nerazzurri left Vieri at home with a knee injury, although it's unlikely he would have featured anyway as this week patron Massimo Moratti and President Giacinto Facchetti both conceded that his partnership with Adriano wasn't working. Obafemi Martins was given the nod to partner the on-form Brazilian, while Emre Belozoglu and Dejan Stankovic took the flanks.

quote:Originally posted by Cooks

Considering how Leverkusen handed Madrid their arses back on the 15th, Dynamo Kyiv's result yesterday makes them look very impressive.

Pretty much anybody can beat Real Madrid these days.

Did anyone notice the dissapointing number of fans attending the Juventus - Maccabi clash? Only 7,000 bothered to show up. Is this normal for CL football in Italy? I'm sure it has to do something with poor opposition, anyone care to explain?

It isn't the (relatively) weak oppostion. At least that's not the only reason. I remember a similar turn-out for a Champions League game vs. Galatasaray last season in Turin (I think that was around 14,000).

Perhaps the reason is that Juve have alot of plastic fans from out-of-town who only have time to attend games on weekends. But I'm guessing here ...

quote:Originally posted by Frostman

Manure did quite well though. I hate to admit it, but Rooney looks scary. Am I giving in to media attention and a few good showings, or is he the real deal?

I wouldn't worry. Rooney had a great game no question. However its not like he's Brazilian. Even if he puts shoe polish on his face it won't make up for the loss of Ronaldinho.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Don't know how much longer Vieri will last with Inter, his season is clearly not going very well, and Martins is filled in quite well!

Anderlecht 1 - 3 Inter

Martins 9 (I), Adriano 51 (I), Stankovic 55 (I), Baseggio 92 (A)

Stade Constant Vanden Stock

Yup, Inter are the best team in Italy right now when Vieri is off the pitch. But Milan seem to have luck (or in the case of the game vs. Celtic, the referee) on their side so far this season.

Anyway, the Bremen x Valencia game was unbelievable. I've never seen a team dive so much as Bremen did in this game and considering I watch Argentine football, that's saying something. They did pick up 2 yellows for diving (incl. Stalteri), but also drew a undeserved red on Marachena because of their play-acting, and that you have to say led to 2 Bremen goals. I counted at least 9 obvious dives by these w.ankers in green and white. Brutal stuff...

Archived