Dutch Eredivisie introduces playoff format

amacpher

Article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-dutchplayoffs&prov=reuters&type=lgns

The most important part: teams finishing 2nd thru 5th enter a playoff to determine the team that will enter the Champions League (along with team finishing first).

Having a playoff to determine a UEFA cup place is one thing, but a Champions League berth? Lets hope this virus doesn't spread to the rest of Europe. It's the most absurd thing I've heard that's not related to the CFL in the longest time!

I know as a surprise , I kinda like the play-off idea . This will give the majority of teams and their fans something more to hope for even down the table for those hoping to make the play-offs.

The biggest problem with most of the Euro Leagues is the same ol' same ol' syndrome . Same clubs at the top year after unending year.

This play-off involves teams down to 9 th place also in a play-off for the last UEFA CUP spot,according to the article. So now an extra 4 or 5 teams are involved right to the end .

I'm surprised though that a play-off hasn't been introduced for relagation as well . This would keep even more teams involved .What a nail biter ! The only downside to this seems to be the removal of the Christmas break in Holland.

Play-offs for promotion have been sucessfull in THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE for the 3rd promotion spot . So why not for Euro club competition .

I wonder if the EPL will follow this lead . HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....OHHHHHH....HAHAHAHAHA

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I

I'm surprised though that a play-off hasn't been introduced for relagation as well .

Actually, Holland already has a promotion/relegation playoff. The 16th & 17th placed teams in Div I enter a playoff with the #2 thru #7 teams in Div II. Those 8 teams enter a playoff to determine two teams that will play in Div I the following season.

Archived