Baseball Blue Jays gave away tickets...

Rocket Robin

from last month you could get FREE Toronto Blue Jays tickets for joining their e-mail newsletter.

I'll have to remember that when some Voyageur reader complains when a local soccer team has a promotion. Free ticket folks sitting beside the $45 plus crowd! How demeaning right?

By entering, I indicate that I would like to receive commercial e-mails from Bluejays.com and MLB.com.

Offer only open to those who sign up on this page. The following tickets per game are available for each of the following dates:

For Sept 17: 10,000 for tickets in the field level bases, then upwards based on availability.

For Sept 18: 10,000 for tickets in the field level bases, then upwards based on availability.

For Sept 19: 10,000 for tickets in the field level bases, then upwards based on availability.

Two tickets for one game per valid e-mail address. Subject to availability. Some restrictions apply. No cash value. No substitution. Cannot be combined with other offers. Offer open August 20 to September 15, 2004, or while supplies last. Game dates and times subject to change.

I acknowledge that I have read, understand, and agree to the above terms, Bluejays.com Terms of Use and Bluejays.com Privacy Policy.

Robin, on the surface it looks like the same thing, but a couple of points. (There are more to make, but I'll stop with two.)

Blue Jays:

1. It probably makes business sense for the Blue Jays. More people in the ballpark means more people buying food and drink at the concessions, programs et cetera. (I'm speaking as somebody who did sign up, got tickets, and went to the game today. FYI I wasn't sitting beside or in the same section as the $45 ticket holders.)

2. The series in question was against a team that is a poor draw (Tampa) and the Jays aren't in contention. You can bet that the Jays only remaining series, against the Yankees, will not see the same promotion.

Lynx:

1. The Lynx would also stand to benefit, except that they are prone to running out of food at their abysmally run concession (I don't know if the Lynx actually get concession money or not, so that may be a moot point).

2. The Lynx give away bundles of tickets regardless of the circumstances.

I think that the inferiority complex of soccer continues to rear its ugly head. When another sport uses a promotion (admittedly, I think that what the Jays are doing here makes sense, while I view the Lynx as a marketing/branding basket case) that most would discourage in running a soccer team, is this a good thing for soccer? Does this give soccer more legitimacy or is this jumping over the same very low bar?

Blair

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

from last month you could get FREE Toronto Blue Jays tickets for joining their e-mail newsletter.

I'll have to remember that when some Voyageur reader complains when a local soccer team has a promotion. Free ticket folks sitting beside the $45 plus crowd! How demeaning right?

Archived