NHL lockout to affect 50 positions at CBC, including up to 36 at CBC Sports

BY DAN RALPH

CP

1,008 words

15 September 2004

18:42

The Canadian Press

English

© 2004 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

TORONTO (CP) _ The NHL owners' decision to unanimously approve a lockout Wednesday will cost hockey fans a chance to watch their favourite game on television. But it will have a more serious impact on some employees at CBC.

The corporation announced Wednesday almost 50 positions _ including up to 36 in CBC Sports _ will be affected by the lockout. So too will many freelancers across the country who contribute to CBC's hockey broadcasts.

Nancy Lee, executive director, TV Network Sports, said because of such issues as bumping rights, technically not all of the employees affected will be laid off. But she did say the lockout has forced CBC to reshuffle its deck.

``There will be some redirection,'' she said. ``If there's no hockey there is just no work to be done for them in that particular position.''

Lee said CBC will unveil its alternate schedule changes ``in the next day or two.''

``There is no question that for the fans, for all of us, there is an impact,'' Lee said. ``But it's significant for the CBC in terms of staffing, programming and the revenues.

``I can't get into the specifics of it, but it is significant.''

The Globe and Mail reported Wednesday if the entire NHL season is lost, CBC will lose between $55 and $60 million. The newspaper also stated commentators like Don Cherry, Bob Cole and Harry Neale won't be paid if they have no games to broadcast.

With no NHL games, disgruntled hockey fans can look to a winter television schedule featuring soccer, boxing, basketball, professional poker and repeat telecasts of past championship hockey contests.

``Hockey is a major component of our schedule and it's hockey and it's Canada so when it's not aired obviously it's not good news for anybody,'' said TSN president Phil King. ``But if there's a silver lining to this, it's a chance to experiment and try some things.

``The bottom line is the viewers will tell us. We think we know but the viewers will tell us pretty quickly what they like and don't like.''

King also wouldn't divulge how big a hit TSN will take as a result of the lockout, especially if it's a long one. But with hockey making up a big part of the network's winter lineup _ as it does for CBC and Rogers Sportsnet _ a lengthy stoppage would not only create huge programming holes but also result in millions in lost ad revenues.

King said even without NHL games TSN will continue featuring hockey broadcasts on Wednesday nights. During the lockout, it will carry classic NHL contests with host James Duthie and its regular hockey crew.

``We will have all of our crew in studio to talk about the game and try to bring in players, coaches, GMs, whoever were important components of those contests to discuss it,'' King said. ``You will see, to our best ability, keeping hockey up front and centre.''

TSN is looking at airing old Canada Cup contests. It will also bolster its NBA and NCAA football coverage, feature more boxing and European soccer contests, carry the World Series of Poker and expand its world junior hockey telecasts.

``Where we would normally only do one semifinal with Canada in it, now we'll do both,'' King said. ``We'll try to do three of the four quarter-finals depending on the schedule, we'll try to add some preliminary non-Canadian games.

``Honestly, we're in pretty good shape for the fall. Once we get to the winter months and we know what we're dealing with _ if the season is or isn't going to be played _ then we can go out and perhaps do some unique things. But I'm not really prepared to discuss that now because hopefully I won't have to deal with it.''

At Rogers Sportsnet, its regional NHL telecasts will be replaced by more NBA, AHL and European soccer games. Also next month, the network will carry all baseball playoff contests and the World Series.

David Akande, Sportsnet's vice-president of programming, said major junior hockey and pro lacrosse could also benefit from having better time slots.

``As far as filling the broadcast schedule, we will be able to do that because windows previously filled with NHL hockey can be filled with other programming,'' Akande said. ``But NHL hockey is a significant audience and I'm not sure we can replace that audience.''

Akande said Sportsnet will continue its coverage of the Spengler Cup over the Christmas holidays and look at carrying games from various European hockey leagues.

If the lockout is a long one, Akande said Sportsnet and other media outlets will face having to keep their reports and content fresh at a time when there are no new developments.

``That is going to be a challenge for the guys on the floor,'' Akande said. ``The trick is to provide a new perspective and I think the diversity of the guys on the floor provides for that.''

MOJO Radio 640 Toronto, the Toronto Maple Leafs' radio rightsholder, will attempt to fill its programming with a nightly one-hour lockout slot hosted by Dennis Beyak and Andy Frost, who are both involved in Leafs game broadcasts. Also, MOJO will run specific lockout updates five times daily but also break into regular programming with information that merits. As well, it will launch a new Internet site, nohockey.ca that will have surfers access to lockout stories, audio and interviews.

``There will be an impact (financially) with the lockout but what we've done is put together programming specific to the lockout that will help offset part of that and we have other things we're planning,'' said MOJO program director Scott Armstrong. ``Although we would rather be carrying games, the good news is we've had time to plan for this.''

Hey if it means more soccer with or with-out ads that's kewl . But what soccer hasn't already been bought up ?

I can see alot more CHL , CIS sports of all kinds , and more AHL.

Hopefully this will turn into a cash cow for our very much under valued CIS :D

As I mentioned on another thread there is no shortage of hockey in this country even without the NHL.

What a time for Euro leagues to grab the best players . Hey can you see it the Russian Elite League has most of the top players under contract when the lock-out ends [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Hey if it means more soccer with or with-out ads that's kewl . But what soccer hasn't already been bought up ?

Plenty. ESPN Deportes shows 8 Champions League games per matchday. I'm fairly confident that TSN will buy at least 4 of these games (and show 2 of them in the evening on tape-delay) as long as the lockout continues.

Next matchday TSN is showing 3 games again: Madrid x Roma; Man United x Fenerbahce; Chelsea x Porto.

That's okay, I'll still get my annual hockey fix during the World Juniors at x-mas time. Although this was the first year I got into hockey again since the last strike, and I really enjoyed the run up to the playoffs. The flames playoff success even at the time seemed like a cruel irony like how the Expos(fans) got screwed by the Baseball strike.

I've had a tough time supporting the NHL through the entire Bettman era. That guy is a phony glory grabbing, corporate sociopath and I can see how the players are not even considering compromising to him even if they are right or wrong. He turned a Canadian institution into an American corporate nightmare.

More soccer, and evening games! sounds great to me. I hope it gets so bad that they start showing Bundesliga or English Championship (div I).

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

What will CBC do on Saturday nights? I'll be out of the country this hockey season, but I imagine there will be a whole subset of the population that won't know what to do with themselves, and will be forced to take up drinking, or worse, curling!

Movie night!!! [|)]

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

What will CBC do on Saturday nights? I'll be out of the country this hockey season, but I imagine there will be a whole subset of the population that won't know what to do with themselves, and will be forced to take up drinking, or worse, curling!

Hockey Night Classics! (Hopefully!) I remember during the last NHL lockout, the CBC re-ran old games from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. It was great, as there was no NHL Network or ESPN Classic Canada to show the old games back then. I hope they do it again.

• 3 weeks later...

Although both sports channels said more soccer has any-body seen an evidence of this ? I see more NCAA 4 down football and some boxing shows. But checking the Oct. soccer telecasts , aside from the 4 games on match day 3 & 4 on TSN CL coverage , I don't see any more broadcasts being available in Oct. when the NHL should get goin'

Sportsnet had more Spanish soccer this past weekend. Not only were there two games instead of the usual one, but they were both on all feeds (rather than only in one region and/or only on digital) and they were on in prime time (well, I'm not completely sure about the other regions, but this was the case in Ontario at least, rather than 11 PM).

And Sportsnet is showing England - Wales on Saturday. not that they'd be showing hockey on a Saturday morning, of course...

I wonder why they decided to show this match, where they haven't before? I hope they keep it up. The more WCQs on TV, the better...

Archived