Do not post scores of any matches without warning!

DJT

A little ticked were we ?

Personally I can only blame myself, I stayed off the 'puter . But I turned on TSN 5 minutes before SportsCentre ended .......and what did I see on the ticker Lyon ?-? Man U . Seven minutes before the start of the broadcast . It's lucky I have no hair left or I would of pulled it out ;)

So from now on it's 5 minutes after I'll turn the TV on [:o)]

EDIT: almost gave away a score without warning ( humour )

That reminds me of the time that the Sportsnet ticker showed the result of the Canada - Finland friendly while they were showing the Canada - Finland friendly on tape delay. That sure was nice of them. (Actually, it wasn't so bad. We were down 3-0 by then, and it made me stay interested to see where our two goals were going to come from...)

During Euro 2004, luckily no-one I work with cares about soccer. So at 2:30, I signed off the internet, avoided e-mail until the end of the day, walked down 20 flights of stairs (to avoid the elevator television), walked home with my head down and my walkman on full blast, walked up seven flights of stairs to my apartment, and then watched two matches simultaneously by positioning the tv in the spare bedroom just so. Good times.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

But I turned on TSN 5 minutes before SportsCentre ended .......and what did I see on the ticker Lyon ?-? Man U . Seven minutes before the start of the broadcast .

I had a feeling TSN might be stupid enough to do that so I didn't turn on my TV until exactly 11:30 EDT. HOWEVER, that still wasn't good enough because TSN posted the final score of the United game in their in-game SportsCentre at halftime. Now how amateur is that??

quote:Originally posted by massimo

One's thing is for sure, I wouldn't want you to be my boss![}:)]

Ha ha. I actually won't hire french Canadians anymore so you're out of luck.;)EDIT (joke, I don't hire anyone anymore)

Actually my employees loved me and I had almost no turnover the last 2 years. I stay in touch with almost all of them. My former employee/buddy Hippie Cam came to the Honduras game in Edmonton. They called me "the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be."

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

That reminds me of the time that the Sportsnet ticker showed the result of the Canada - Finland friendly while they were showing the Canada - Finland friendly on tape delay. That sure was nice of them. (Actually, it wasn't so bad. We were down 3-0 by then, and it made me stay interested to see where our two goals were going to come from...)

And that's the exact reason that Sportsnet did that, to keep you watching.

For the year I've been on this board scores have been posted Asian Champions League , African Nations Cup , Copa America , Euro '04 , WCQ & Canadians abroad.

So my question is ; when is it alright to post scores and when is it not ?

Anyone who goes any-where near the internet after taping a game risks seeing a score some-where . Isn't up to the individual who tapes a game to stay away from places where scores may be posted rather then expecting the rest of the world to know what game he or she is saving to watch at a later time .

Blaming others seems a little immature . Is there nothing that the person who tapes a game can't do on the board after watching the taped game rather than before.

So put a big : WARNING: SCORES POSTED on top of the home page of the board . Cuz it is unreasonable for 500 people to know a few have taped games. Watch the games then join the board .

I hate it when ppl tell scores too.....in the spring during the stanley cup final i was at my girlfirend's house and her sister was like "did u hear the score of the game" and i had recorded it so i was like "no but im watching it later so i dont wanna know any thing at all about it"...then the friggin tool was like "well you'll be happy i'll just tell you that"

friggin idiot haha.....

quote:Originally posted by argh1

So my question is ; when is it alright to post scores and when is it not ?

Didn't we agree on 24 hours?? I mean, we all know where to go on the web if we want to see scores. So posting (for example) all Serie A scores this weekend 5 minutes after the games ended without warning, seems pointless.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Didn't we agree on 24 hours?? I mean, we all know where to go on the web if we want to see scores. So posting (for example) all Serie A scores this weekend 5 minutes after the games ended without warning, seems pointless.

Ok man you don't have to put the blame on me for four different posts. I get it man, I was just trying to make a point. I'm sorry alright.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I don't remember agreeing to anything but I don't remember much [B)]

I also don't mean to belabour the subject but I don't want to see a double standard either .

In the Canadians Abroad thread sometimes there seems to be a rush to post results in games that Canadians are involved and I've seen no complaints . There are many examples of tourneys being followed and scores posted as soon as someone could again with no complaints .

I do not mind the 24 hour guideline but I still think the smartest thing for one who has taped a game to do is stay off a soccer board 'till the game is watched.

You browse at your own risk after all .

This for some reason strikes me as a double standard . It's OK to post A or B results right away but not E or F results .

Sorry if I'm being anal about this but I still think the responsibility is on the person who taped the game to guard himself against seeing scores.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

I think you should expect live/update scores in 'live match threads', but I agree the point about not posting them in THREADS THAT ARE NOT RELATED to the game in question.

That is the gist of it. But let me try to expand on that.

It's not that results should not be posted, it's that they should not be posted without warning. There is no double standard as argh1 suggests because the results that are posted with no complaints are posted with warnings.

What is a warning?

- The best is a good thread title with an "R" at the end: "good thread title" = some indication of which results are posted (absolute precision not necessarily required); "R" = "Warning! Results inside!".

- If you did not start a thread and therefore cannot add an "R" to the title and you absolutely must post a result in that thread, then in your first line indicate that you are posting a result and then leave lots of blank lines before you do so.

- Many times neither of these is required because it's clear from the thread title alone that there might be a result inside (though you should put the "R" if you can). For example, argh1's threads about Irish clubs in European competition were okay because it's clear, given the nature of the topic, that results will likely be posted. There is certainly a judgement call here, but I don't think it's that difficult.

The biggest problem is when results are posted that are unrelated to the main topic of the thread and without any warning. For example, what sparked this whole issue was the "EPL sucks" thread. There was no reason to expect that new results from the Champions League and Serie A would be posted in that thread. A better example is argh1's "Rule question" thread: he was right not to post a result in that thread because there's no way anyone would know that he would do that.

So far I have said nothing about the 24-hour guideline. The point of this guideline is that some cut-off point is required, since otherwise we'd have to warn the reader before mentioning that Italy won the 1982 World Cup. That's obviously ridiculous, but what if it was a match played a few weeks ago? last week? 3 days ago? yesterday? I think 24 hours is fair. In other words, after a match has been finished for 24 hours then you can freely mention the result wherever you want, as if it was general knowledge. Of course, if you are going to start a new thread to convey the result then you might as well put a warning in the title, even after 24 hours.

If someone really doesn't want to know a score then, sure, they can stay away altogether. But is that not overkill? Most of the time Italian scores, for example, are not posted here, so do I have to avoid the entire forum because someone might reveal them in some unrelated thread? All it takes is a little courtesy from everyone to make this work.

I realize that sometimes people forget about this courtesy, or may be new and not have thought about it. That was the whole point of this thread, just to remind everyone. Some people have taken this as wrist-slapping or as a warning/threat. That's not the case. You aren't going to get in trouble for posting results, though if I catch it I might edit your post.

I know it seems that I'm making a big deal out of nothing. But this was just supposed to be a little reminder, not a whole big issue.

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

If you call your thread 'Todays Serie A Results' itt should be OK, right?
Right. But in this particular case, see the 2004/2005 Italian season thread that already exists.

Ah , just like the tv ads , just ask your Clarica agent for clarification . As has been said many times on this board tone is hard to read. Thanks for taking the time to clear this up .

Sometimes you have to hit me with a 2x4 before I get it !

Just an add on ; DJT it can't be easy being a regular poster and a moderater . To balance being a guy who / watches / plays / follows soccer . Whatever your bag is and being one of the guys that brings out the wet noodle to whip us when we get out of line . I don't envy your position ...........yes you heard the sound of a vacuum cleaner [:o)]

Archived