Varsity Stadium Renderings

Jarrek

The thing that struck me when walking by the old Varsity site this summer was how incredibly small the space was. I couldn't wrap my head around the old Varsity fitting in there and I couldn't see how new Varsity would fit in either. I guess now I know . . .

I like the north end zone too. That where I'd prefer to stand. Plus it's the stand closest to the Duke! :)

cheers,

matthew

Looks pretty good.

quote:Of course. The CSA is not in a position to fork out money for this kind of project. They never have and never will be. Not on a 9 million dollar per year budget realiant on sponsorships.

I'm sure the CSA could at least pay for the urinals. Imagine that: Kevan Pipe Urinal pucks. No one would ever miss.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Looks pretty good.

I'm sure the CSA could at least pay for the urinals. Imagine that: Kevan Pipe Urinal pucks. No one would ever miss.

You mean there won't be any urinal troughs like the old place??? ;)

GRASS!!!.. put in NATURAL GRASS... please don't even consider the fake stuff!, open your wallet, give people some jobs, get and maintain GRASS!!!.... if Icey EDMONTON can maintain a grass field in commonwealth, surely TORONTO can sustain a natural turf field!

Did you see the turf at Commonwealth against Honduras? I saw it firsthand and it was awful, especially right where the football teams stand. If it is soccer specific then grass is great, in multipurpose where it is shared with football, grass takes a hell of a beating particularly if there is any adverse weather. After seeing the Costa Rica game, I don't think field turf is the boogeyman that soccer purists make it out to be.

quote:Originally posted by marktci

Also looks like the Blue/Orange building is an expanded Royal Conservatory.

Yes, that's what it is: TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning. It's to be completed in the fall of 2006. Seems like it's going to look great.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

i like the "fenway park" kind of feel it has, with the 'quircky' shaped grandstand responding to the constrained urban site. it gives it a real unique character, as opposed to a typical, generic bowl arrangement. It has kind of a old style feel to it. this is the first football/soccer stadium i have seen that has done that. it has become popular in baseball, with camden yards being the benchmark, but modern football venues have not typically followed suit.

I would have worked to locate a few more seats at mid field however. it looks like not much more than half of the total seating is between the goal lines.

Agreed. You could almost imagine the fans just milling about before a big match:

Bloor-Deavonshire-view.jpg

Really fantastic. Congrats!

quote:Originally posted by fetajr

GRASS!!!.. put in NATURAL GRASS... please don't even consider the fake stuff!, open your wallet, give people some jobs, get and maintain GRASS!!!.... if Icey EDMONTON can maintain a grass field in commonwealth, surely TORONTO can sustain a natural turf field!

As much as I want a perfect pitch, natural grass turf, I can't help

but recall the Canada-Mexico WCQ match in 2000. The Varsity pitch was

awful after a few Uof T gridiron games. Because it's a multiuse

facility, it'll be Field Turf eventually. :(

quote:Originally posted by redhat

As much as I want a perfect pitch, natural grass turf, I can't help

but recall the Canada-Mexico WCQ match in 2000. The Varsity pitch was

awful after a few Uof T gridiron games. Because it's a multiuse

facility, it'll be Field Turf eventually. :(

I think that the situation with the pitch quality for the game versus Mex in 2000 was more intentional than circumstantial. The idea being to have conditions that would hinder the mexican strenght of slow buildups and playing the ball on the ground as opposed to the aerial advantage that canada holds.

well then the parties involved ought to put in the extra $$ to maintain a high quality natural grass pitch, just like they do in the stadiums of our filthy rich loud mouth neighbours to the south who spend tons of $$ on their athletic development, and are among the top in the world in almost everything (the soccer isn't there quite yet, but it is foreseeable in the near future)....... its all about $$, the climate excuse is just a scapegoat.

quote:Originally posted by fetajr

well then the parties involved ought to put in the extra $$ to maintain a high quality natural grass pitch, just like they do in the stadiums of our filthy rich loud mouth neighbours to the south who spend tons of $$ on their athletic development, and are among the top in the world in almost everything (the soccer isn't there quite yet, but it is foreseeable in the near future)....... its all about $$, the climate excuse is just a scapegoat.

You might be surprised, but in the U.S. almost all of the new facilities being built at the college and even high-school level (which is the level we're dealing with here for U of T) are installing Field Turf or equivalent.

It's only at the highest levels (NFL, etc) that they're going back to grass.

Grass is just too expensive for all but the deepest pockets. Remember we're dealing with the Argos here. It will be Field Turf.

Archived