Varsity Stadium Renderings

Jarrek

To be fair, the original Varsity wasn't exactly the prettiest stadium either. But it had something that a lot of the newer stadia doesn't have, and that's character.

As for this new rendering, it looks rather interesting. Certainly better than the vast space and some bleachers that's sitting there right now. One thing to note is the north end seating, whic looks rather steep. Should lend itself to some good sightlines. Still, interesting to note that they decided to put the seating on that side and the scoreboard on the south side, which is of course the exact opposite of the old Varsity setup.

No track in the renderings. [:P]

I actually think it's kind of funky looking. What's the building that seems almost attached? Is it anything remotely tied to athletics, kinesiology or physio?

Thanks for posting the model. BTW, where was it on display (or did you poach the photo)?

Cheers.

No track in the renderings. [:P]

I actually think it's kind of funky looking. What's the building that seems almost attached? Is it anything remotely tied to athletics, kinesiology or physio?

Thanks for posting the model. BTW, where was it on display (or did you poach the photo)?

Cheers.

Looks... interesting. Have to say that the extra big CFL endzones push the north and south stand much farther back than I would like. Like Rudi said though the north stand should have some great sightlines. I would like to start the intial voting on making that the "Voyageurs End" for all Canadian home matches in T.O. That way the sun will never be in our eyes and we'll be able to see the score board as well. It's the Canada Kop!

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

Hey, thanks for posting this. I've been to TO a number of times but I'm not that familiar with the area around Varsity. Can you situate Bloor Street for me here, please? (Is it the street north of the stadium with the "traffic"?)

Yes, that's Bloor St. There's also a subway entrance in the street just north of the stadium that joins Bloor St in a 'T'.

Regarding the steepness of the stands - they need to have a steep pitch in order to get the number of seats they want (25,000?) into the footprint they've got to work with.

Also, a reminder that nothing has got final approval yet. U of T still has to give the final go-ahead.

Yikes!! Although the North stands are steep and thus offering a nice vantage point, They do appear to be very far from the goal. In fact, I would say that it looks even further from the touch lines than your typical european stadium that is built with a track around it. The main stand, do look very nice.

I guess that there will be no seating area in the west side by the looks of it. That too bad since, I would think, that having the pitch completely surounded by an equal amount of spectators would help in creating atmosphere and noise. Not sure, but i think that I liked the original rendition better than this one.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I guess that there will be no seating area in the west side by the looks of it. That too bad since, I would think, that having the pitch completely surounded by an equal amount of spectators would help in creating atmosphere and noise. Not sure, but i think that I liked the original rendition better than this one.

You can't see it very well in this rendition, but there will be a stand of seats (sorry for the oxymoron) on the West side, underneath the private boxes (yecch!).

I think they could also extend the length of the soccer pitch by another few yards. I know it's just a rough model but a full 120 yd. length might get it that wee bit closer. I don't mind steep banks at all. When this thing hosts its first footy match be sure to save me a ducat because I'm there (hopefully in our Voyageurs end).

i like the "fenway park" kind of feel it has, with the 'quircky' shaped grandstand responding to the constrained urban site. it gives it a real unique character, as opposed to a typical, generic bowl arrangement. It has kind of a old style feel to it. this is the first football/soccer stadium i have seen that has done that. it has become popular in baseball, with camden yards being the benchmark, but modern football venues have not typically followed suit.

I would have worked to locate a few more seats at mid field however. it looks like not much more than half of the total seating is between the goal lines.

Thanks marktci

from the site, the funding sources are as follows;

Government of Canada

Government of Ontario

University of Toronto

Private donors

The generous support of U of T alumni and friends

So tecchnically the CSA doesn't even have to fork up a dime and they/we get our national soccer stadium???? [?]

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Thanks marktci

from the site, the funding sources are as follows;

Government of Canada

Government of Ontario

University of Toronto

Private donors

The generous support of U of T alumni and friends

So tecchnically the CSA doesn't even have to fork up a dime and they/we get our national soccer stadium???? [?]

Of course. The CSA is not in a position to fork out money for this kind of project. They never have and never will be. Not on a 9 million dollar per year budget realiant on sponsorships. Although, some here want to believe that, fact is, that is NOT possible. They are a national sports body not a "for profit" organization. The best that they could ever do is act as facilitators. By ensuring that canada lands the U20 WC, they have done more than their part.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

The description says there is a track, but it doesn't jibe with the visual model. I wonder if some of the front seats are removable?[?]

It appears so.

If you look at the east side (main grandstand), there seems to be a dark line running along the length of it, about 6 or 7 rows up. That's probably where the seats detach. That also explains why the stands are curved rather than completely parallel to the footbal/playing surface.

Those north end seats are rather far away from the goal, though, as someone else mentioned. But the soccer field could be lengthened to a maximumn 120 yd length, bringing the V's section (s it our official section yet) that much closer to the goal keepers from opposing countries that we'll be heckling in the 07 WYC and WCQ's in 2008.

Archived