A-League Playoffs - Final [R]

DJT

Quite the match.

Bit untidy in the 2nd half there, but well done all around.

Just rewards for one of the A-League flagship clubs. Everyone down at head office has to be absolutely pleased with the result, the way it was won, and the whole champioship presentation put on by the Impact.

All around congrats to Montreal. Gonna order me a kit!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by DJT

Triple, actually. Can-Am Cup and Voyageurs Cup. Every competition for which they were eligible.

Throw in Vancouver winning the Cascadia Cup and Canadian teams swept all four trophies for which they were eligible. Putting a stamp on the league!

SCREW MLS!!!

Let's make the A-League the Eh-League for real.;):D

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Throw in Vancouver winning the Cascadia Cup and Canadian teams swept all four trophies for which they were eligible. Putting a stamp on the league!

Oops, I meant Canadian teams swept all three trophies for which they and American teams were eligible. Wouldn't be fair to count the Voyageurs Cup here.

Fantastic day for Canadian soccer, especially in Montreal. Great support. I don't want to steer the conversation, but we're so bloody close to having a legitimate league. We have five teams. If we can hang on to them we're only two or three from having a legitimate first division. We're on the right track and I hope Montreal is showing us the way as far as how this can be done right.

congrats to all the Impact fans. Well done.

cheers,

matthew

The view from Seattle. (At least the Times, the PI isn't updated yet.) BTW, congratulations to L'impact and their supporters. It looked like a great crowd and the two goals were great. And congrats to ex-Lynx Mauricio Vincello.

Blair

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sounders/2002039758_sounders19.html

Sounders fall in A-League title game

By Sean Farrell

Special to The Seattle Times

MONTREAL — The Sounders' amazing playoff run was knocked off the rails by a devastating Impact in Montreal.

Seattle's dreams of its first A-League soccer championship since 1996 came up one win short last night as the Sounders fell 2-0 to the Montreal Impact in the league's title game before an overflow crowd of 13,648 at Claude Robillard Stadium.

"The playoff run was great up until today," Sounders coach Brian Schmetzer said. "As a soccer guy, not as a Seattle Sounder, I just have to say today they played better than us."

Montreal defender Mauricio Vincello scored in the 33rd minute and Freddie Commodore added a second-half goal in the 79th minute, just moments after Craig Tomlinson narrowly missed drawing Seattle even with a drive off the crossbar.

"They scored that first goal and we weren't able to recover," Schmetzer said. "We had a lot of individual performances that weren't as good as they could have been, and it was a deserved victory."

Tomlinson's chance was by far the best one for the Sounders, who had two shots against league MVP goalkeeper Greg Sutton in the first half.

Veteran Sounders midfielder Jason Farrell had the second shot, a scoring opportunity just before halftime that Sutton pounced on to protect Montreal's one-goal lead.

"It was fun to make it this far," said Farrell, the only remaining link to the Sounders' back-to-back championship teams in 1995 and 1996. "We kind of exceeded everybody's expectations, probably even our own, but you never want to lose. You never want to lose in the championship game, but we lost to a better team tonight, so it's definitely bittersweet."

Farrell played his final professional game along with midfielder Darren Sawatzky. Both players had announced they would retire following the season.

"It hurts," Sawatzky said. "I'm going to go home and hug my kids and hug my wife, sit down and not think about soccer for a few days."

The Sounders, playing without suspended leading scorer Welton, had little to challenge Montreal's stifling defense. Vincello scored with a left-footed shot into the right side in the first half, and Commodore put the game out of reach when he finished off a passing play with Sandro Grande and Nevio Pizzolitto.

Sounders goalkeeper Preston Burpo, who made an outstanding save on Ze Roberto's header 18 minutes in, had little chance to stop either goal.

"You've got to congratulate them," Impact coach Nick DeSantis said about the Sounders' playoff run. "They sneaked into the playoffs, and they had a good run. They're a hard-working team and they fought hard."

The Sounders' deep run provided little consolation to Schmetzer as he stood outside Seattle's dressing room, well within earshot of the victor.

"Nobody likes to lose, and nobody likes to lose in a final," he said.

Copyright © 2004 The Seattle Times Company

I didn't know people got turned back at the gate (it might be embellished).

We did see some Seattle fans around the stadium (presumably family and friends).

The atmosphere was awesome, the Kop was awesome as well as the RDS coverage.

And.... PITCH INVASION! Heheheheh.

Congratulations to the Montreal Impact and their fans. You finally got that monkey (Rochester Rhinos) off your back and showed what the team can do. A well played game by both sides but it was great to see a soccer championship back in Canada. Glad RDS was showing the match.

Congratulations to the Montreal Impact and their fans. You finally got that monkey (Rochester Rhinos) off your back and showed what the team can do. A well played game by both sides but it was great to see a soccer championship back in Canada. Glad RDS was showing the match.

It's a bit of a shame that the FSW broadcast started out with the announcers saying "Welcome to Montreal!" with a shot of an Impact supporter holding a sign that read "USA GO HOME".

Didn't see the sign any other time though, and the supporters were a joy to watch otherwise.

Archived