A-League Playoffs - Final [R]

DJT

Seattle will play in itis 5th soccer Final today:

1977: New York Cosmos-2 Sounders-1

1982: New York Cosmos-1 Sounders-0

1995: Sounders-2 Atlanta Ruckus-1 (Series)

1996: Sounders-2 Rochester Raging Rhinos-0

2004: Sounders at Montreal Impact, 4 PM FOX SPORTS WORLD

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Seattle Newspaper Previews:

Seattle Times:

Sounders try to end season with major impact

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002039006_sounders18.html

Seattle-Montreal Preview

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002039007_soundersbox18.html

Seattle P-I:

Sounders' Farrell, Sawatzky looking to go out as champions

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/191354_sound18.html

King County Journal:

Just call him Mr. Sounder

http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/173581

Seattle at Montreal

http://www.kingcountyjournal.com/sited/story/html/173578

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

Congratulations to live so long for a noth american soccer club

Let's hope that the leagues could be as stable... (USL is well started)

Where did you play before the APSL ?

The Sounders were founded in 1974. They played from 1974-83 in the NASL. Then Seattle soccer was represented by the FC Seattle Storm from 1984-1990. The Storm won the WSA (Western Soccer Alliance) championship in 1988. The APSL Sounders began in 1994.

Much more about Seattle's long life in pro soccer can be found at our museum site:

http://soundercentral.com/SoccerMuseum.htm

PSPSMjpgSMALL.jpg

I have some old Montreal Manic program articles from NASL days,as well as programs from Sounders-Manic matches. If anyone knows of a Montreal site that collects such things, let them know I'd be happy to scan them and send them their way...

Just got here... 10 minutes gone, no score...

Commentators Paul Dolan and Dick Howard just mentioned that they've had to shut the gates at CCR because the place is full and people are still trying to get in!

MONTREAL

Starters

G.Sutton

G.Gervais

N.Pizzolitto

A.Braz

M.Vincello

S.Grande

Z.Roberto

P.Leduc

M.Biello

J.Bailey

E.Sebrango

Subs

A.Olivieri

L.Barker

A.Cann

C.Williams

A.Ribeiro

C.Lemire

F.Commodore

SEATTLE

Starters

P.Burbo

D.Jackson

R.Edwards

B.Sleeth

Z.Scott

J.Farrell

K.Sakuda

B.Somoza

J.Bolanos

D.Sawatzky

R.Levesque

Subs

D.Waltman

C.Tomlinson

K.Smith

C.Brown

S.Jenkins

S.Callahan

M.Velez

3 yellow cards in the first 20 minutes: two to Montreal and one to Seattle.

Not much happening so far, pretty tight and balanced, just a hard shot from some distance by Zé Roberto but right at Burpo.

Yallop is in attendance and they just had a short, boring interview with him.

More of the same after 30 minutes.

One shot from distance by Seattle, a trickier one that's handled by Sutton.

Then a nice header by Montreal off a free kick that's going to the bottom corner of the net (or was it the post?) but it's pushed out by a diving Burpo.

The goal was a very nice shot from the penalty arc to the bottom right corner of the goal. (Every time I see Vincello I can't believe the Lynx (or should I say Duncan Wilde) considered him expendable.)

I didn't see minutes 30-35, but following the goal Montreal seemed to take a more defensive posture. However, they still created the best scoring chance, when Biello played it across the goal but Bailey couldn't get a foot on it. Seattle really didn't come close, just one shot from the outside-left area of the box. One more yellow card to Seattle, near the end of the half.

I can't tell what the attendance is just by looking at it, Luis. There are people all over the place along the sides as we usually see with sell-outs. As I said before, apparently they stopped letting people in. Whatever the final number is, it could have been higher than that.

60th minute, half an hour to go. Not too much happening to open the second half. Nothing close to a goal, but Montreal are controlling and getting more penetration than Seattle, who haven't done anything offensively. Good to see Montreal not just sitting back. A second yellow to Montreal (Pizzolitto).

SEA - Sub - Somoza out, Velez in 58'

MON - Sub - Bailey out (injured), Commodore in 58'

70th minute, and it's all Montreal. One shot by Seattle that was blocked, but otherwise the ball is in Seattle's half, including a fair amount of time in their box. No really clear scoring chances, though.

SEA - Sub - Brown out, Edwards in 65'

80 minutes gone.

SEA - Sub - Bolanos out, Tomlinson in 74'

Wow, as soon as Tomlinson came in he received a ball behind the defenders and blasted it off the crossbar! But that came out of nothing, as Montreal were still controlling prior to that play and continued to control afterwards (and got the goal a few minutes later).

Montreal's goal was a point-blank blast by Commodore after a bit of a scramble in the box (EDIT: well, it was a cross by Grande into the box that a few players missed and it fell to Pizzolitto), highlighted by a back-heel by Pizzolitto to lay it off for Commodore with no one to beat but Burpo.

Last 10 minutes plus stoppage time...

SEA - Sub - Sawatzky out, Smith in 84'

SEA - Sub - Sleeth out, Jenkins in 84'

Seattle threw some extra players forward but still couldn't do anything, and in fact it was Montreal again that came closest with Seattle pushing forward.

Fans circle the field...

Triple, actually. Can-Am Cup and Voyageurs Cup. Every competition for which they were eligible.

Throw in Vancouver winning the Cascadia Cup and Canadian teams swept all four trophies for which they were eligible. Putting a stamp on the league!

Archived