soccer in the new world tv program

red card

for those of you who get OMNI1, they just showed part 1 of 2 series outlining history of the soccer in North America. And unlike other things that purport to talk about North America but only mention the US, this program includes Canada.

Has interviews with Colin Jose, George Gross and Bobby Iarusci. This program started from the beginning to the end of NASL. So, next Sunday's show should cover from then to now.

The main theme of the program was that the downfall of soccer in North America is its perception of being an ethnic sport even though its being around since the inception of both countries. But this problem largely lies with the way soccer was organized - from the days of the early 1900s when factory soccer teams were aligned with

ethnic groups to Toronto Metro Crotia winning Soccer Bowl 76 (to the embarrasment of the NASL).

This is the same program that originally aired in Italian back in May. I wrote to them and they said there would be an English broadcast at some point, but I forgot to check their Web site occasionally. Thanks for the heads-up.

This is a really good program, definitely worth taping. It was made in Canada, that's why they actually have Canadian content. There will surely be a repeat of the first part during the coming week, but I don't see it listed on their site. I'll check Rogers' onscreen guide and report back later.

I saw part one last night. What an eye opener, I never knew soccer history was so deep in the US. It really was an ethnic sport becase the factories mills were run along ethnic lines, Italians in one mill/factory and poles, Irish in another etc etc. WW I seemed to scupper the whole deal because the league never recovered after the war, whereas Baseball flourished. Ayway a really good documentary, looking forward to part 2..wonder how many Americans watched?

quote:Originally posted by runner

What an eye opener, I never knew soccer history was so deep in the US.

Oh yeah, before the depression, soccer got more attention and coverage than what was then the NFL. Fall River Marksmen, Bethlehem Steel, used to be big clubs. The depression and the "soccer war"(a conflict between two rival American leagues that helped cripple the sport for decades) really did a number on us. It's depressing to think what might've been. [B)]

quote:Originally posted by SABuffalo786

Oh yeah, before the depression, soccer got more attention and coverage than what was then the NFL.

There wasn't an NFL back then was there? Must have been an equalivent league for the time though. Also were black americans playing soccer in those leagues back then?

• 8 months later...
quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

They should release it on DVD ...

OMNI have just informed me that, as of June 4, 2005, it is available on DVD.

http://www.omnitv.ca/harbourfront/dvd.shtml

It's $29.90 including taxes and shipping. You can't order online, instead you have to print out an order form and send it in along with a cheque or money order.

I have to say, OMNI's communication has been excellent. When I inquired about this a year ago they were very prompt in replying, and now they "remembered" to let me know about the DVD a year later.

BTW, Rogers bashers: OMNI is owned by Rogers.

Archived