Will Radzinski even bother to show?

Paddy

quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Hi,

The way it stands now will Rad even be interested anymore? Will his heart be in a mathematical chance? Will other players bail?

Who is in for the long haul?

At this point I wouldn't blame Radzinski one bit for not showing for the remaining games. Quite frankly, he's got better things to do with his time.

He's miles ahead of all of those around him (with one or two exceptions) and he's the one true world-class player we've got - he's the only one who can conjure something out of nothing. He's got nothing to gain by playing out the string with these guys; nothing personal and I'm sure he's a fine fellow, but Sandro Grande??

No, for the remaining matches give the younger guys the experience, wish Radzinski well, and welcome him back if he wants to return.

I only got a chance to watch the second half of yesterday's pitful game, but I would no longer blame Rad if he decided never to come out again. The game was so awful, I can only remember him getting one or two touches. We couldn't get the ball near the final third and there was no service for him.

Quite frankly it doesn't matter who's up front now, if the defence and midfield have such a difficult time providing service, the front men are just there pretty much as pylons.

I think it's time to focus on making the hex of 2010 and use only those players who can help us then. Forget any other trophies (i.e. Gold Cup, or even the 2010 Finals, just go with the young guys and aim for the hex to start.

i wouldnt...and i wont blame him if he doesnt...would you fly all the way around the world to stand basically alone on a field surrounded by 50 000 empty seats and a bunch of a-league players trying to feed you the ball...in games that mean nothing.

its time to build to 2010...we have a good crop of young players who seem committed at this point....maybe it will turn into something. i also like that there appears to be a number of players emerging from quebec. it has always seemed to me to be an untapped resource for the national team. (the same goes for our rugby team). it is a province as big as most scandinavian countries, with a good soccer culture and infrastucture.

i thought the days of scoring one goal in 3 games were over. maybe the new guys will bring a new level of play after they have matured for a few seasons. it is so frustrating to know that if the other team scores first, the game is over...it has been like that for years now...maybe the young guys can change that.

the field turf worked well, i thought...any word on what the players thought?

I don't think it would shock any of us at all if Radz retired (albeit a somewhat brief stint) from international football and concentrated full time on his club career with Fulham. I'm sure he could care less about playing in Gold Cups and competitions like that , because it was the chance of playing in the World Cup that had him playing with Canada.

He's miles ahead of all of those around him (with one or two exceptions) and he's the one true world-class player we've got - he's the only one who can conjure something out of nothing.

i agree that is far better than 90 percent of the team, but Dero on a good day can make something of nothing...however, he is a bit like the winnipeg jets after they traded teemu selanne...no finish.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I have been saying since after the Edmonton game that Radzinski's last game would be the one in Costa Rica. He's very talented and I want to see him in the squad, but I will be surprised if he suits up for us again.

Yeah, I am skeptical that he'll appear, but something tells me he'll give it one last shot. I think the key guys know they need to prove themselves, and we only have one more shot to do so. I fully expect Devos and Stalteri to be there. Radz may appear.

One thing that stood when watching that Hon-Can debacle, was how much respect the opposition were giving Rad through their tight marking. Like they knew that he was the guy that could turn things around and therefore had to be contained.

Does he show up for the rest of the matches? Well the rest of the matches in this qualifying round are scheduled on International dates. So it it could come down to a choice between staying home and not playing or traveling and playing. I wouldn't rule out an appearance just yet.

Man, whatever happened to Canada's trademark never-say-die attitude? If we'd given up like so many Voyageurs are giving up now, we'd never have won the 1972 Canada-USSR hockey series. (We were down after our home games and stormed back to win the series in the Moscow matches.)

I'm not saying I think we're necessarily going to storm back in this group, but I can't believe how many of you guys are ready to give up now - before we're mathematically eliminated. We'll have four years to prepare for 2010 qualifying after next month's matches. For now, we still have a slim shot at 2006 and we should fight to our last breath. That means calling our best possible squad for Honduras and Costa Rica next month. If, despite our best efforts, we're eliminated, then I completely agree with building for the future and it should start by calling a young squad for the away match to Guatemala in November.

PS - I'm not sure if Radzinski would share this attitude. I hope he shows next month, but I won't be surprised if he doesn't. If he doesn't, I hope we qualify despite him bailing on us.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

Man, whatever happened to Canada's trademark never-say-die attitude?

Don't know as this is the first that I have heard of it.

The last two qualifying campaigns have very quickly come down to math and it is getting a little tiring.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

would you fly all the way around the world to stand basically alone on a field surrounded by 50 000 empty seats and a bunch of a-league players trying to feed you the ball...in games that mean nothing.

I WOULD because I love my country and it would be an honour to represent my country at any level and under any circumstances, this goes not only for sports but in our daily lives as well especially when you`re abroad, I do it everyday down here!!.

The people who truly feel Canadian (that goes to all you "V`s" out there) and share the "never-say-die-attitude" (props for that MikeD!) shouldn`t even think about giving up now.

I believe!!!

Support your country -- win or lose. If we win, great, next round ...

If we lose, oh well, bitch bitch bitch, and prepare for the next steps.

Our problem is that we complain too much ... and do too little.

Just like people you know that say Canada is crap, and wouldn't know any of the players,

or think it's easy to play a "third world country" like Guatemala or Panama, even though

Guatemala is the surprise of our group.

Here's a hint: you can complain, you just can't complain TOO MUCH.

But you can always support our team. Because what sucks more than not going through

is having crappy support from your country, whether or not you play well.

Archived